Dodge Drivetrain Warranty?

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Wow.

Manufacturer drivetrain warranties used to be 1year/10,000miles. 3years/30,000miles. Then 5years/50,000miles. Then 6years/60,000miles. Then Hyundai upset the world with their 10year/100,000mile warranty. Just incredible to warranty it for that long. And several other manufacturers joined in.

I just saw an amazing commercial. A Dodge commercial.

Lifetime drivetrain warranty.

:eek:
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited September 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Wow.

Manufacturer drivetrain warranties used to be 1year/10,000miles. 3years/30,000miles. Then 5years/50,000miles. Then 6years/60,000miles. Then Hyundai upset the world with their 10year/100,000mile warranty. Just incredible to warranty it for that long. And several other manufacturers joined in.

I just saw an amazing commercial. A Dodge commercial.

Lifetime drivetrain warranty.

:eek:

For the original owner. :mad:
    Most people trade every 4 years.

Of course, I tend to keep mine for a long time. The wife wants a red Charger.
    She'd better like it. Cause it will be around a looong time.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2007
    I would like to see the fine print and what is actually included.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited September 2007
    Good program. No deductible. Covers engine, tranny, and drivetrain

One sticking point is that you must have a powertrain inspection every 5 years at the dealership (does not cost you anything). This opens to door to some possible warranty "voids" in the future....Make sure you document all maintenance done on the car and you should be fine.

http://www.dodge.com/en/lifetime_powertrain_warranty/faq.html
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    I'd love to see a stat about how many things covered under "drivetrain" really ever fail. I've owned a Dodge, I guarantee way more things will fail before you have to worrya bout your "drivetrain."
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Systems
    edited September 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    . I've owned a Dodge, I guarantee way more things will fail before you have to worrya bout your "drivetrain."
    If you happened to be the unfortunate owner of a 89-91Dodge minivan or Spirit and other models with V6 motors I bet you had the tranny fixed atleast once probably more.I know I did.:(

But I must say the new warranty looks real good.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited September 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I'd love to see a stat about how many things covered under "drivetrain" really ever fail. I've owned a Dodge, I guarantee way more things will fail before you have to worrya bout your "drivetrain."

Agreed, when does an engine usually fail? Probably after you've replaced everything else in the car that failed. At that point the drivetrain warranty is a moot point. It's the other stuff besides the drivetrain that fails (usually).
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • audiobliss
    edited September 2007
    Depends on how you drive it.

:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Serendipity
    edited September 2007
    Depends on how you drive it.

:D

eh? Drive fast or slow it doesn't matter most engines and transmissions will last a LONG time.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• sucks2beme
    edited September 2007
    GV#27 wrote: »
    If you happened to be the unfortunate owner of a 89-91Dodge minivan or Spirit and other models with V6 motors I bet you had the tranny fixed atleast once probably more.I know I did.:(

But I must say the new warranty looks real good.

Minivans were crap. The Japanese v6 leaked oil all the time- the domestic one was better! Ate front brakes like crazy. That's vehicle that I had to show the Dodge tech how to troubleshoot a problem cause he was stumped.
    And yes, It finally lost the transaxle. It's the reason I went to Ford.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • audiobliss
    edited September 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    eh? Drive fast or slow it doesn't matter most engines and transmissions will last a LONG time.
    Didn't say it depended on how fast you drive.

Of course you can tear up an engine.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Serendipity
    edited September 2007
    Didn't say it depended on how fast you drive.

Of course you can tear up an engine.

Yeah if it overheats or runs out of oil, but those are rare instances. How else could you tear up an engine?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited September 2007
    Dodge's shifting boxes are more of an intermission than transmission.:rolleyes:
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • sucks2beme
    edited September 2007
    Yeah if it overheats or runs out of oil, but those are rare instances. How else could you tear up an engine?

Break a timing belt. That will kill most valve trains pretty quick.
    DO NOT SKIP RECOMMENDED BELT REPLACEMENTS!
    Yet, I hear of it all the time. Fluids, filters, belts(all types) hoses.
    Overheating will also do in most 4 cylinder engines.
  • Systems
    edited September 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    The Japanese v6 leaked oil all the time
    Might that be the Misterbitchy 3.0 that also liked to burn oil?
    yes, It finally lost the transaxle.
    I lost three.:(
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • tom t
    tom t Posts: 543
    edited September 2007
    its easy to give a lifetime warranty. who keeps there car's for ever??. most people that buy a new car will trade it in when the loan is paid off and get a new car. or trade it in by the time it hits 100,000 miles. and if you trade it in three years with 50,000 miles the new owner will get the rest odf a 60,000 mile warranty or something like that. the lifetime warranty is over as soon as you sell the car. now they would be in trouble with some people (like me) who buy a car and keep it till its ready for the junk yard. i have a few cars 15 years old now and still running strong. all in all, very few cars will ever see the lifetime warranty. but its a great selling point and they will get alot of sales from it
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2007
    Doesnt cover diesels, which is where everyone has problems with their tranny's.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • sucks2beme
    edited September 2007
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Might that be the Misterbitchy 3.0 that also liked to burn oil? I lost three.:(

That's the one. The old one was ok. The OD 3.0 was horrible. I wanted a truck.
    Mrs. had to have the van. I did make it to 8 years/138k before thetransaxle died.
    It didn't burn so much as leaked oil everywhere.
    I'm going to go for 200k on the F150. Only real big problem was a sparkplug blew out and
    stripped the head. Turned out to be an easy fix.

Up North , the Midas guy hated me- I kept coming back for new mufflers and brakes.
    Dallas- never need a muffler- but brakes, I do mine all the time. We spend all our
    time with the brake pedel down and one finger out the window in traffic.
  • audiobliss
    edited September 2007
    You can kill an engine even if you perform all the proper maintenance perfectly.

Think about this. You start it up. Put it in neutral. Hold the gas pedal down to the floorboard. See how long the engine lasts.

Obviously that's an extreme case. But you can simulate the same effect over a longer period of time with your driving style. A friend's sister drive a stick shift and always takes the engine up to 3k - 4k before shifting...in just everyday driving. That will definitely take time off the life span of an engine.

Do that more aggressively, drive the car hard, take it to the track a lot, peel out around every corner, race everybody at every light, etc. You can kill an engine.

And that doesn't even mention any mods.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    What kind of car is it? 3-4k RPMs isn't that bad, I'd say I get up to 3500 before shifting most of the time, and I don't consider myself an overly aggressive driver. The redline of my car is above 6.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited September 2007
    Dodge's shifting boxes are more of an intermission than transmission.:rolleyes:

That's what I was thinking.

I have to admit, though, this would finally get me to consider a MOPAR product if I was in the market as I intend to keep my vehicles 8-10 years or 200k miles.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited September 2007
    I WILL have a 300 eventually, and I WILL keep it until it dies.............
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Serendipity
    edited September 2007
    Looks like you know how to kill an engine:
    As a side note on the I6 4.0...

One day a friend and I decided to go all out on the highway on the way home, so I had the go pedal flat on the floor until I ran out of room. We hit just over 100, as best we could tell (speedo gives out at 85), but that's not the point. I got to my exit and stopped at the stop light after just having her pegged at redline for who knows how long (about a minute?). At any rate, we quickly noticed she was overheating. Man, the temperature was rising FAST! It usually runs about 210, and the red starts about 240, and the gauge stops at 260 (going by memory here as I'm not looking at my dash). I pulled into a parking lot and decided to shut it off when I saw it wasn't colling off at all. When we popped the hood, I had lost almost *all* of my coolant.

So, to make a long story short(er), we ended up off the charts on the temp guage (meaning close to 300?). After letting her sit for about 10 minutes and managing to fill up the radiator again, she started up and got us home just fine and seems no worse for the abuse.
    I actually break traction a lot unintentionally. The other day I did a u-turn in the middle of a road and nailed it when I straightened up (like I always do :D), and I broke 'em loose for a ways. It's amazing sometimes even just taking off from a light not overly aggressive I'll break the tires loose. And then sometimes I'll want to and hold the brake and they won't break loose. I typed that wrong initially.

Thanks for the info.
    Now, I have a few more questions for those who would know (MrNightly?). If I'm sitting at a traffic light, pop it in neutral, and rev it up (sounding mean in my Cherokee :rolleyes: :p), what would a cop do? I understand that it would get his attention and probably make him suspiscious and maybe even get him to follow me, but there's nothing wrong with that in and of itself, is there? Also, y'all said that breaking the tires loose is a 'display of speed' and is ticketable. However, what if, sitting at a light, I hold the brake and hit the gas and break loose the rear tires, let off the gas and stop spinning the tires, all while the light is red and then take off nice and easy when the light turns green? I know that sounds stupid and who would do it, but I was just wondering.

So - how many engines/trannies have you gone through?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• audiobliss
    edited September 2007
    You just HAD to bring all that up, didn't you?

Gee, thanks. And I was just beginning to get over that stage.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited September 2007
    in defense of bliss, anything less than a stick of dynamite aint gonna kill that 4.0. that engine could take some crap boy!!! sad they dont make it anymore, but it was getting long in the tooth design wise
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Serendipity
    edited September 2007
    AB - just messin with ya :)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1