Finally, a view I can agree with...

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,536
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Hi-end/mid-fi, and pretend hi-end:
http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/1194awsi2/

"Components primarily designed to meet the needs of audiophiles and music-lovers are worthy of the appellation "high-end," no matter what they cost."

About time somebody said it. Audio snobs take note.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited September 2007
    He said it in like 1994.

Still relevant though.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited September 2007
    Even more relevant now if you ask me. I just wish JA had written more on the subject, it seemed too short.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    "Components primarily designed to meet the needs of audiophiles and music-lovers are worthy of the appellation "high-end," no matter what they cost."

Sounds similar to my mantra -- "Price don't mean a damn thing in audio..."

At some point many of us have upgraded by downsizing (price-wise). Hell, I've done that three times in the past couple of months. Lower cost, better sound.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say -- "If an audio component costs more than you can actually afford, there's probably a better unit somewhere out there at half the price. You just gotta know where to look."
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    I think that to a point, you get what you pay for. A $100 speaker will almost always sound worse than a $300 speaker.

However I do believe that there is a point where youre not really getting any more performance for your dollar. Take the Focal Grande Utopias for $100,000 a pair! Could a speaker really sound $100,000 good?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2007
    yes !

well maybe 37 grand !

High end to me means it`s solid built with all the quality I expect from my gear.....

not the price tag
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    High end to me means that the designer listens or has someone with musical abilities to listen to the gear designed and manufactured to make sure that the tone produced is as close to the instruments or vocals as can be. Of course high quality falls in there too.

There are quite a few out there that do that and they DO NOT charge exhorbitant amounts of muula for the gear.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited September 2007
    It depends how you use the words as well. I was under the impression that high-end was synonymous with high cost, as in the high end of the price spectrum.

High-fi does not necessarily need to be expensive, but high-end by definition is. I guess my interpretation is flawed.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited September 2007
    While it is true (and common sense) that better components cost more to assemble/build, there is a lot of very expensive stuff out there that just cannot justify it's price. In my opinion there are 2 elements that make something hi-fi; 1) Specifications [does the item have the electronic capability to accurately reproduce music without audible distortion] 2) Tonal character [does it suffer from any anomolies that make it sound unnatural]. Barring any obvious problems, number "2" is reserved strictly for subjectivity between listeners.

With todays technology, both of these requirements can easily be satisfied without putting a second mortgage on the house.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • MGPK
    MGPK Posts: 88
    edited September 2007
    What gets me about people buying high-end audio gear is the ignorance involved when it comes to connecting the components together. After spending their hard earned money for these components, they believe there are some deficiencies to these components and then spend almost as much money on cables believing that it will bring some sort of perfect aural harmony without understanding neutrality.

Then, after discussing with fellow audiophiles regarding cables to solicit differing opinions, they will try soooo many different type of cables only to say that they do make a difference and they do if you want to color the sound of your system. After trying various brands, they lose track of what the system should sound like and then become very confused as to what to buy, they become like rats in a maze trying to choose their own direction.

People should focus on more relevant issues such as: the merits of the products they purchased and if they do want to optimize the system they have, focus on your room acoustics and learn about the science of audio and friggin enjoy your system for what it's worth and lose the OCD regarding tweaks.
    System:

H/K AVR430 Receiver
    Samsung DVDHD841 Dvd player
    Yamaha CDC506 5 Disc changer
    Jamo E855 Tower speakers
    Wharfdale Pacific P-10 Bookshelf speakers
    Acoustic Research Master Series Interconnects