would I get a good boom from this subwoofer

1lakerfan
1lakerfan Posts: 112
edited September 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
http://www.dualav.com/carsubs/xnbp12d.html

my cusin wants to sell it to me for $80 bucks but I dont really hear alot about the company dual.
Post edited by 1lakerfan on

Comments

• vawakemonster
    vawakemonster Posts: 131
    edited September 2007
    well its 160 new at best buy so its not a rip off persay. it is 600 RMS so it would def play loud but i cannot attest to the quality of the subs nor can i attest to the sound. it seems like a decent entry level set up. but if i were you id save up some money and wait a few months till you can afford a nice setup. you'll thank me laterr.
    Dodge Dakota
    HU: Pioneer
    Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
    Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
    Subwoofer: polk mm2104
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited September 2007
    Dual is crap, period.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited September 2007
    I would look elsewhere.... Save your money as stated and pick up a quality setup.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited September 2007
    1lakerfan wrote: »
    http://www.dualav.com/carsubs/xnbp12d.html

my cusin wants to sell it to me for $80 bucks but I dont really hear alot about the company dual.

Save your $80...I wouldn't give him $5- not worth the time and effort to try to flip that crap on eBay :( .
  • 1lakerfan
    1lakerfan Posts: 112
    edited September 2007
    You still dont think its a good deal if I told you it was 80 dollars brand new?
  • vawakemonster
    vawakemonster Posts: 131
    edited September 2007
    i tried not to step on toes but honestly you can do much better. thats base level equipment
    Dodge Dakota
    HU: Pioneer
    Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
    Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
    Subwoofer: polk mm2104
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2007
    you could offer it to me for $50 brand new and I'd still pass... Dual does not have a good reputation, and bandpass limits your frequency range too much... It'd be loud and if that's all you're going for fine, but you're going to lose a lot of the deeper frequencies...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited September 2007
    You know what's sad?

Dual is widely considered junk now.

It's another one of those hollow, empty names now.

But do some research on Dual and you'll find that they have been around since the 1920's and used to be a producer of pretty good quality turntables and later, more modern electronics.

They were bought out when the parent company behind Dual, Schneider AG declared solvency (like irrecoverable bankruptcy) and was bought out by some Chinese conglomerate. It changed hands again shortly there after because I know they are owned by some Korean group now. They churn out this crap now. Pretty sad again.

The only reason I know this stuff is because I found an old Dual turntable at a yard sale one time a few years ago. The guy said he was holding on to it because his kid told him that Dual was junk. I should have picked it up but seeing the name on a turntable that looked to be about 40-45 years old was intriguing. So iI did some research.

A quick search yielded this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_%28brand%29

http://dual-reference.com/
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited September 2007
    I have a Dual turntable, purchased in the 80's, and it was very nice quality-wise. The thing is, someone purchased rights to the name for use with car audio products (under no obligation to continue with Dual's tradition for quality)...and voila- another low budget, low quality product offered up :(.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited September 2007
    It is sad to see a company that has been around for so long end up this way....... :(
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2007
    yeah, their older non car audio products were good... their car audio sucks hairy balls though...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2007
    Speaker go boom!
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • honda cber
    honda cber Posts: 267
    edited September 2007
    i still say the pair of dual outdoor speaks i got from CC for a paltry $20 is the best coin i have spent in awhile. still sound reasonable after 2 years in the elements. no problems making conversation difficult on our deck. no atrium for sure, but respectable nonetheless, price notwithstanding.
    a
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....