DB 12" DVD Enclosure question

najahaja
najahaja Posts: 32
edited September 2007 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Heya,

I see on the specs for the sealed box that it requires around 24L internal volume.

My question is, if I build a triangular box with the same specs (volume wise) will the output be the same?
I will mount the sub to one side, to avoid wave cancellation and what not, but I would like to make a triangular box so I can fit 2 on either side of my trunk.

Also, it mentions minimal polyfill should be used. What is minimal? Is it just 1 thin layer on all the internal sides on the box?
And what is the best way to attach the poilyfill? I was thinking contact adhesive to ensure it does not come loose.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan
Post edited by najahaja on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    Minimal as in none or just a small handful.

As for the shape, it wont affect the sound of the sub so long as the interior volume is up to spec.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • najahaja
    najahaja Posts: 32
    edited September 2007
    thanks for that MacLeod.
    Another question regarding the firing of my subs.

I am building two triangular enclosures for each side of the boot, one for the left, the other for the right.
    Now, once in place (they are 45° Triangles, ie, equal sides) the subs will both fire to the middle point of the back of the boot (where the latch is).

My question is, will this cause wave cancellation.
    I do not think it should matter, as low frequencies have a long wave length, but also do not wqant to assume anything.

BTW, if it is just a small handful of polyfill, do you just chuck it inside, or stick it to one of the sides (I assume the surface behind the sub would be most beneficial?)

Thanks in advance,
    Bryan
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited September 2007
    Polyfill serves to take up space, it's typically just tossed in there.
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    Pollyfill actually does more than take up space, it actually slows down the air flow inside the box making it "act" like its bigger than it really is. You dont have to use it either. If youve built your box to manufacturers spec, Id say leave it alone.

As for cancellation, unless the subs are 10' apart, youre not going to get any.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D