Colin McRae dies in helicopter crash

carpenter
carpenter Posts: 362
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
"If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
Post edited by carpenter on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,439
    edited September 2007
    From the minute a helicopter is built, it has but one purpose, to kill you.

R.I.P
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    Yep I flew in one in 1989 and couldn't stop throwing up.

I don't know who this fellow is but he died too young and his little boy too!
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited September 2007
    I flew over Hoover Damn in a heli once, most fun I've ever had in the air. Someday I'll own one, they are just too much damn fun.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited September 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    From the minute a helicopter is built, it has but one purpose, to kill you.

R.I.P

The other day, a few miles from my house, was a major car accident. One of the injured was med flighted to Boston in a helicopter which may very well have saved her life.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited September 2007
    damn man, he was a legend in rally racing. you gotta feel for the wife, lost husband and son in one shot. pains me to think of what she is going through.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited September 2007
    sad day, good man, prayer for family
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited September 2007
    Sad news indeed. What a shame.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited September 2007
    Colin McRae...what a sad, sad loss. This guy was an incredible driver. Started driving in rallies way back in like 1985-86 and won his first rally in 87. I think it was the Swedish Rally. Got a works drive with Subaru in '92 and I think his rookie season was '93. He then proceeded to his first win in 93 at the Rally of New Zealand. He won 24 more rallies in his career, pushed Subaru to 3 consecutive constructors titles and won his first championship in 95. He also drove for Ford and Citroen. At one point he held the record for most event wins in the WRC.

He's also been a test driver for Ford's Formula 1 efforts with Jaguar, test drove for NASCAR too. He also competed in several endurance races as a member of a team of drivers and even drove in the Paris-Dakar rally. He was also a test driver when they setup the new rally in Mexico and he also test drove for Skoda in the development of their Fabia WRC car.

The guy was a consumate profesisonal. His father was Jimmy McRae, 5-time British Rally Championship Champ and his younger brother is Alistair McRae who has been driving almost as long as Colin was. Alistair was a Hyundai works driver and now drives for Mitsubishi in competition and as a testing and development driver. He's one of the people responsible for the Mitsu Evo 9.

Colin was also inducted as a Member of The Order of The British Empire for his success in the WRC. He's also had the honor of having multiple video games named for and developed after him.

Colin also has a sister who is a doctor but I don't know much about her.

I was always a huge fan of Colin. He was a sparkling talent in the WRC. One of those guys that makes it look so easy because he was such a natural at it and so calm behind the wheel. Like Sebastian "The Iceman" Loeb, he was cool under pressure but drove hard and called "The Flying Scot" because off it. Often this made him fun to watch because if he did wipe out, it was spectacularly done! He was supposed to have a ride for the 08 season and I was really looking forward to his return to full-time competition status in the WRC. I'm gonna miss watching him and hearing his down-to-earth, no BS interview style.

More info about McRae: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_mcrae
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • koz
    koz Posts: 11
    edited September 2007
    sad what is it with drivers dying in helicopters? RIP. i wonder if they will still makes games in his name.