Who documents their equipment?

madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
I was just wondering how many of you guys keep a list of model/serial numbers, descriptions, pics etc of your equipment for insurance purposes. Do you know if your insurance will cover that type of equipment and what the limit is? Just wondering.
madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited September 2007
    I've got everything I own on a database for myself and with the insurance companies with pictures. My insurance guy was impressed that I had pictures for him on a CD ROM. lol. I'm covered for $100K in contents but it's nice to have proof/records of everything.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited September 2007
    You guys have too much time on your hands!:D

Actually, it's probably a good idea for insurance reasons. Pictures, serial numbers, etc. I have no receipt because I purchased much of my stuff used.

Documenting CD's could be a real pain. I really don't have the time. I should take a picture, so they can see how much stuff I have.
    Carl

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited September 2007
    I think it took me about an hour to document the whole house with pictures and serial numbers. I update it once a year just in case.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited September 2007
    I do to some extent - pictures of equipment and serial numbers, but don't really have a file for the stuff or so.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2007
    avguytx wrote: »
    I'm covered for $100K in contents but it's nice to have proof/records of everything.

Is that total contents of the house or just electronics? On my insurance I have about the same amount for contents but they put a limit on electronics. I think its a pretty low limit too, need to check I guess. I often wonder if I wouldn't find out that not much of anything is really covered once a claim is put in.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2007
    I thought about it, just never finished

Homeowners only cover up to 5k (25k total) , I think...not sure
    every policy is different from what I understand
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited September 2007
    I've got everything photo documented and a detailed list is kept with my insurance company.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    My documentation is a work in progress. I'm doing the entire contents of the house. When we bought the house last year (wow it will be a one year this Novemeber) we got full coverage on the structue and contents. The rates in this area are really really inexpensive. I don't remember off the top of my head what they are but I remember telling my wife that at the rate we are getting on the insurance we should just go all out.

I have what is documented and pictured thus far in a safe deposit box (and some cash he he he) and a copy with my insurance agent.

Now if I can just get life insurance!!! BTW for all you younguns don't let your life insurance lapse once you hit mid forties on up it gets very very expensive.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited September 2007
    My stuff really isn't worth enough to add insurance to it.......
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited September 2007
    Absolutely.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2007
    100%. Date, Purchase price, seller, serial #, pics everything I can think of. I created an inventory database years ago in MS Access for all household items. A copy of the database is stored off site as well. Hell if the house burns down I need proof.
    I am slowly adding in the 200+ CD's with CD Title, Artist, Songs, Recording Length....
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited September 2007
    Cd's are typically hard to insure. I'm not even sure you can get a rider policy. My brother has almost 4000 cd;s and many are OOP and collectable. It's very hard to get them insured for much over a used value.

Also always purchase Full Replacement insurance especially for electronics because that way they pay to replace the unit and not just give you the depreciated value.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2007
    I think they will only insure so many. The inventory for CD's was more for personal information than anything.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited September 2007
    I've done it too. It took a couple hours adding up everything with prices & serial numbers but should be well worth it should something happen. Ideally I'd have receipts to go along with the list in a secure location off site but that can be pretty tough to keep track of. This is just like backing up the files on your computer... so many people don't do it and then when they lose everything it's a giant scramble and panic to recover it. The photo thing is a great idea - I'll have to do that this week.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited September 2007
    Has anybody documented their A/V equipment and media, had an incident (theft, fire, etc), and was able to recover from the insurance company afterwards? Did they give you a hard time?

I ask because I recalled our house being broken into as a kid and the insurance company wanted both the receipt and original box of items stolen.
  • koz
    koz Posts: 11
    edited September 2007
    i take pics of all the equipment, dvds cds. i have a database for the movies and cds as well. serial numbers, and pics of the actual boxes as well. not to mention 90% of the boxes are up in the attic. cant be too safe