Tweeter Questions

Options
Frank Z
Frank Z Posts: 5,860
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
So after getting my eyeball ground on again for the second time this week, Deb and I drove (300 mile round trip) to Ft. Collins and picked up a set of 3.1tl's that we won on Ebay. Hooked them up and found one of the SL3000 Tweets was shot...yeah we did all the basic troubleshooting, still no good.

So here's my questions:
How much do the replacement tweets cost?
Can I swap in 2 SL2000 tweets from my SDA-2b's until I can get the proper replacements?
Anyone have a spare SL3000 laying around somewhere that they no longer need?
9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
Post edited by Frank Z on

Comments

• rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The SL3000 is a fine tweeter. The RDO replacement from Polk is an even better tweeter. Don't hesitate to upgrade. Call Club Polk and get two new tweeters for $96 delivered.
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I plan on it, but in the mean time....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited September 2007
    Options
    In the meantime, the SL2000 will not work as an replacement.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Frank Z
    edited September 2007
    Options
    :o
    F1nut wrote: »
    In the meantime, the SL2000 will not work as an replacement.
    Ummmm....too late! Swapped 'em out earlier this evening...sounded pretty darn good actually.
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I have a spare sl3000 in the original polk box for $30 shipped. pm me if interested.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Frank Z wrote: »
    :o Ummmm....too late! Swapped 'em out earlier this evening...sounded pretty darn good actually.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm........it shouldn't.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Frank Z
    edited September 2007
    Options
    But it do!!:D
  • F1nut
    edited September 2007
    Options
    But...but....but....:)

President of Club Polk

• Frank Z
    edited September 2007
    Options
    No butts about it...We was rockin' SDA style Baby!!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Electrically it will work; as far as sound compared to the sl3000 I guess that's up to you. The x-over isn't optimized for the sl2000 performance characteristics but hey if you like it and it's only temporary then I guess whatever floats your boat.

Also the sl2000 is just not a very nice sounding tweeter with it's 5dB spike at 13kHz.

The RD0198-1 are the ticket for the sl3000 replacement and well worth the investment.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!