McLaren stripped of constructors' points/fined $100 million in F1 spy case

petrym
petrym Posts: 1,912
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
:eek: WOW! :eek:

By ROB MURRAY, AP Sports Writer

September 13, 2007

PARIS (AP) -- The McLaren team was fined $100 million and stripped of its points in the constructors' standings Thursday in the spying scandal that has rocked the sport

McLaren, which leads the current drivers' and constructors' standings, was punished by the World Motor Sports Council for allegedly using leaked secret technical documents belonging to F1 rival Ferrari.

Team drivers Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso, currently 1-2 in the championship standings, were not punished and can continue to compete for the season title.

''Ferrari is satisfied that the truth has now emerged,'' the Italian team said in a statement.

The $100 million penalty includes McLaren's expected loss of income, and McLaren still could be penalized for the 2008 championship, FIA said in a statement after a hearing.

''We have never denied that the information from Ferrari was in the personal possession of one of our employees at his home,'' McLaren team chief Ron Dennis said. ``The issue is: was this information used by McLaren? This is not the case and has not been proven today.''

McLaren escaped the harshest possible penalty, as FIA could have kicked the team and its drivers out of the 2007 and 2008 championships. In December, FIA will decide on any possible sanctions against McLaren for the 2008 season.

FIA said it did not penalize McLaren's drivers ``due to exceptional circumstances'' because they provided evidence in exchange for immunity.

''We believe we have grounds for appeal,'' team chief Ron Dennis said. ''But of course we are going to wait for the findings of the FIA which are going to be published. The most important thing is that we go motor racing this weekend, the rest of the season and next season.''

The case broke open in July when a 780-page technical dossier on Ferrari cars was found at the home of McLaren's chief designer, Mike Coughlan, who later was suspended. Ferrari mechanic Nigel Stepney, who allegedly supplied the documents, was fired.

Rookie English driver Hamilton leads the standings with 92 points, followed by two-time F1 champion Alonso of Spain with 89. Ferrari teammates Kimi Raikkonen (74) and Felipe Massa (69) are third and fourth. Four races remain in the season, starting with Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix.

Alonso and Hamilton finished 1-2 in Sunday's Italian Grand Prix -- at Ferrari's home track of Monza -- to extend McLaren's lead in the constructors' championship to 23 points. McLaren had 166, Ferrari 143.

Under Thursday's ruling, McLaren loses all its constructors' points and is ineligible from scoring any more in the season's final races.

The World Motor Sport Council ruled in July that McLaren was guilty of fraudulent conduct for possessing the Ferrari documents but did not punish the team because there was insufficient evidence the material was misused. However, the council warned that McLaren could be kicked out of the 2007 and 2008 series if it is found in the future that the information has been used ``to the detriment of the championship.''

FIA announced last week it was calling a new hearing of the council after ''new evidence'' had emerged.

Among those appearing at the hearing before the 26-member council were Hamilton, Dennis and McLaren test driver Pedro De La Rosa. Alonso did not attend.

Others attending included Ross Brawn, Ferrari's former technical director, and team officials from Red Bull, Williams and Spyker.

FIA president Max Mosley sent letters to Alonso, Hamilton and De La Rosa on Aug. 31, saying the sport's regulator had been told that ''one or more McLaren drivers may be in possession ... of written evidence relevant to this investigation.''

Mosley asked the three drivers to cooperate ''in the interests of the sport and the championship'' and offered them amnesty in return. Mosley also wrote that ``serious consequences would follow'' if they were later found to ''have withheld any potentially relevant information.''

The case against McLaren reportedly consists of a 166-page dossier that includes e-mail exchanges between De la Rosa and Alonso, as well as details of phone and text message traffic between Coughlan and Stepney supplied to FIA by authorities in Italy.

Separately, McLaren was notified Saturday that it is being investigated in a separate criminal inquiry in Italy. Dennis and five other team personnel are reportedly under investigation.

Those allegations stem from Ferrari's criminal case against Stepney for allegedly placing a mysterious white powder on the gas tanks of the team's cars before the Monaco GP, in a supposed sabotage attempt.

Associated Press writers Raf Casert in Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium, and Samuel Petrequin in Paris contributed to this report.

Updated on Thursday, Sep 13, 2007 3:12 pm, EDT

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-f1-spycase&prov=ap&type=lgns
Post edited by petrym on

Comments

• MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited September 2007
    Wow is right.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited September 2007
    Wow. Just, wow. I'm disappointed. Always been a big fan of McLaren.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • auto_pilot
    auto_pilot Posts: 256
    edited September 2007
    I've been following this for a while now...Essentially they are punishing MaClaren the orginization...not the driver's outstanding efforts. Even if Fernando and Lewis had some of the Ferrari technology in their cars...They are still beating them straight up. How much of an advantage could it be to have Ferrari technology in their cars? Many cars on the grid go through tweaks and mods, and it still doesn't change the results at the end.

I think its a good move...punish the organization for making the cars, not the driver's who drive them. And I am a Ferrari fan since mid 80's.
    Cambridge Audio AZUR 640R
    KEF IQ2C Center, Fronts KEF IQ1 , Rears KEF Ci302Q
    Sub Outlaw LFM2
    Panasonic Plasma 1080i (50u)
    Sony DVP-NS70H (DVD)
    Belkin Pure Audio PF31 Line Conditioner
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited September 2007
    The drivers got lucky on this one. They knew they were cheating and on normal circumstances should have been punished just as well, they just happened to cut a deal in exchange for damaging information against McLaren.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,439
    edited September 2007
    Stripped of all points!?! That's BS.

The FIA has to be deaf, dumb and blind if they think that drivers who switch teams, don't take a boat load of the previous teams info with them. I see little, if any, difference here. McLaren is getting hosed and it's further proof that the FIA wants Ferrari to win at any cost.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited September 2007
    Yep I call BS on this one.

Won't have to worry about that in Cup racing next year as all the damn cars will be the same except the engine.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited September 2007
    Drivers don't really have that much classified information with them. I doubt they know much of the details that go into designing a car. Even designers are bound with non-disclosure agreements when they switch teams and the penalties are harsh if they get caught breaking them. Same with car manufacturing, I recall there was a huge incident similar to this when high position Opel designer jumped ship to VAG and took information with him, VW was hit with a large fine.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited September 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    Stripped of all points!?! That's BS.

The FIA has to be deaf, dumb and blind... the FIA wants Ferrari to win at any cost.

No doubt about it! Bernie and all his men are ruining the sport! Don't even get me started on Scuderia Toro Rosso
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2007
    McLaren got boned,no doubt about it.At least the FIA didn't screw up the rest of this very competitive season by suspending Alonso and Hamilton.Most fan's don't care much for the constructors championship results anyhow.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited September 2007
    GV#27 wrote: »
    .Most fan's don't care much for the constructors championship results anyhow.
    I am pretty sure constructor points=TV money
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2007
    GaryZ06 wrote: »
    I am pretty sure constructor points=TV money
    Likely, and it is a BIG deal to the teams ,but most fans are more interested in the drivers championship.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited September 2007
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Likely, and it is a BIG deal to the teams ,but most fans are more interested in the drivers championship.
    Yes a very big deal to the teams....but the fans care about the drivers championship.
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited September 2007
    From the commetary for the Belgian Grand Prix this morning, both sides were presented by the commentators: There is no evidence of direct use of the data, but it was argued that the data could have been used to decide what not to do. There was also talk of McLaren changing the front to rear weight bias after the season start... but not whether that was based on stolen data.