SR 5250's Off Axis

Installer4life
Installer4life Posts: 256
edited September 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am wanting to install a pair of the Polk SR5250's in the kicke panels of a 1995 dodge dakota. There is no console so it pretty wide open across the floor board from one kick to the other. I was hoping to install them flat or perpendicular with the kick panel. This way I do not have to build out. I also want to mount them as a coxial. How is the off axis response for these drivers? Would it be better to angle the tweeters or aim them the same as the midrange? This set has their own amplifier and will run from 250hz (approximately) and up. I am not sure of the headunit but it will have time correction. There will be no other processors. Not looking to compete just an old timer who likes his music to sound great.
Post edited by Installer4life on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited September 2007
    I am wanting to install a pair of the Polk SR5250's in the kicke panels of a 1995 dodge dakota. There is no console so it pretty wide open across the floor board from one kick to the other. I was hoping to install them flat or perpendicular with the kick panel. This way I do not have to build out. I also want to mount them as a coxial. How is the off axis response for these drivers? Would it be better to angle the tweeters or aim them the same as the midrange? This set has their own amplifier and will run from 250hz (approximately) and up. I am not sure of the headunit but it will have time correction. There will be no other processors. Not looking to compete just an old timer who likes his music to sound great.

The SR5250s are actually very good off-axis, and would be fine installed in the kicks. I'd use the angle-mount posts for the tweeters (coaxial setup) with the tweeters angled upwards/rearwards- aim for the opposite headrest, as the tweeter's frequency response will be the most directional and you'll benefit from having them more on-axis if at all possible.

Feel free to cross them over with a high-pass setting in vicinity of 80hz...setting them for 250hz and up won't be necessary as they seem to roll off the frequencies they can't reproduce rather gracefully (no distortion).
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    x2. Mount them in the kicks 90 degrees off axis and use the angle mounts for the tweeters.

Trust me - you do not want those tweeters on axis! I got the best results by firing them at the opposite side B pillar.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Installer4life
    edited September 2007
    I have a yes and a no. That's not good. I guess I can try them both ways and see what happens. I want to keep the tweeter as close to the midrange as possible. I don't know about installing them in the *A* pillars. I know many people do this but I am not adding any processors only the headunit. I have ran Image Dynamic horns since 1995 but want to change. Experimentation is what it's all about anyway.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    Huh? Not sure what posts youre reading but Greg and I are in agreement.

Keeping the tweeters close to the midrange is great in theory but it will pull your stage right down into the floor. At best it will rainbow it.

It is possible to get the stage height up with everything in the floor but probably not with a head unit only.

But tonally you would be just fine.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited September 2007
    The phase plugs on the SRs probably help them with their off-axis response- you'll get a pretty wide "sweet spot" using the angled coax mounts or the angle mount cups if you take the time to aim them properly. Time alignment will get things dialled-in the rest of the way if you must, but you'll probably need less T/A than you would with a typical door mount where you are more near-field to the closest door speakers.

The main reason I suggested using the angle mount coax posts is because you stated you wanted a coax mount in the kick (and didn't seem too eager to do any kind of install that brought the mids more on-axis). At least you'll have options available should things not be quite right for you mounted low.
  • Installer4life
    edited September 2007
    I misread Macleod post. I didn't catch the *B* pillar part until I read it again today. Your are right you both said exactly the same thing. I don't mind doing the extra work, I just don't want them too come out to far. The under dash is wide open so no console to worry about. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 best) how much would I gain bringing the mids more on axis while keeping the phase plug and then mount the tweeter next to the mid verses mounting them as a coxial with both speakers (mid and tweet)on axis. I really appreciate your input so far. I used some USD audio kick panels back in 1992 in a honda accord the held a 4" and a tweet. Sound was amazing but they kept getting kicked. I haven't opened up the kick panel yet so I might have room to move the speaker back and still keep it on axis.