Are 6511 and 6510 Interchangeable in SRS 2's ?

Options
ka7niq
ka7niq Posts: 577
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I have mixed 6511's and 6510's in my SRS's.
My schematic calls for 6510 in SDA array, and 6511 in Stereo.
On the SRS 2's, is the stereo pair on the inside of each speaker, and dimensional array on outside ?

If not then on top of all the other problems, someone wired em incorrectly!

One 6510 driver is welded, it no longer moves! :mad:
It is history.
Are there replacements ?

On TOP of all that, I checked the tweeters, one sides tweeters were ALL out of phase. :confused:

I carefully peeled back the foam gasket, and can see the plus markings.
Someone really screwed these up.
No WONDER they sold em ? :(

No big deal, they can be fixed. :)

Any comments/tips ? :confused:
Post edited by ka7niq on

Comments

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited September 2007
    Options
    You DID order a Compendium from DarqueKnight didn't you? :D It's the best thing for finding out information about these other than just searching around thru here. I'm not exactly sure about that series as mine are the 1st Gen SRS2's that have (8) MW6509's in them. On yours, the stereo drivers (6511) are on the inside and dimensional (6510) on the outside. Other than that, you'll have to wait for a response from someone that owns your version or call Polk CS in the morning. Good luck!

Like we've joked about before in here....it could have been "Mary Jane" day when your speakers were made! lol

Oh, and per the "Bible" (just in case you didn't already know this), the stereo drivers are wired in series whereas the dimensional drivers are wired in parallel. Which is different than mine as they are both wired in parallel (9.5ohm drivers).
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited September 2007
    Options
    No matter what SDA model you have the dimensional drivers and the stereo drivers are NOT interchangeable (as in they will sound different). Polk is resuming production of the MW6510 before the end of the year.

Your's are the later SRS 2's if you have MW6510's and MW6511's. Those are the same drivers in the 1C's and they are a step up (newer) driver to the MW6509's. The voice coils are wound differently than the older drivers.

In a pinch if you have a spare MW6511 you can use that in the dimensional array until the MW6510's are avail again. If you don't have a spare there is a guy on e-bay selling a pair of MW6510's from his RTA11's that will certainly work. Or you can wait until late November when they will be avail new from Polk again.

The SDA compendium is an absolute must if you are upgrading or simpy refreshing your SDA's. It's an invaluable resource and will answer all the questions you have raised so far. Most of us (witht the exception of Darquenight and F1Nut) are going on a shaky memory some times.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ka7niq
    edited September 2007
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    No matter what SDA model you have the dimensional drivers and the stereo drivers are NOT interchangeable (as in they will sound different). Polk is resuming production of the MW6510 before the end of the year.

Your's are the later SRS 2's if you have MW6510's and MW6511's. Those are the same drivers in the 1C's and they are a step up (newer) driver to the MW6509's. The voice coils are wound differently than the older drivers.

In a pinch if you have a spare MW6511 you can use that in the dimensional array until the MW6510's are avail again. If you don't have a spare there is a guy on e-bay selling a pair of MW6510's from his RTA11's that will certainly work. Or you can wait until late November when they will be avail new from Polk again.

The SDA compendium is an absolute must if you are upgrading or simpy refreshing your SDA's. It's an invaluable resource and will answer all the questions you have raised so far. Most of us (witht the exception of Darquenight and F1Nut) are going on a shaky memory some times.

H9
    Thanks H9 !
    How do I get this compindum ?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Polk is resuming production of the MW6510 before the end of the year.

Just FYI, the MW6509 is also in the works and accepted due to CP participation.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2007
    Options
    No matter what SDA model you have the dimensional drivers and the stereo drivers are NOT interchangeable (as in they will sound different).

That's incorrect, as there are a few SDA's that share drivers.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,857
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The closest driver to the 6510 that Polk has right now is the 6503, but it does sound a little different. Best to grab the 6510's H9 mentioned or wait until the new ones come out.

BTW, having just passed another milestone B'day, rest assured that I have a shaky memory sometimes. ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ka7niq
    edited September 2007
    Options
    avguytx wrote: »
    You DID order a Compendium from DarqueKnight didn't you? :D It's the best thing for finding out information about these other than just searching around thru here. I'm not exactly sure about that series as mine are the 1st Gen SRS2's that have (8) MW6509's in them. On yours, the stereo drivers (6511) are on the inside and dimensional (6510) on the outside. Other than that, you'll have to wait for a response from someone that owns your version or call Polk CS in the morning. Good luck!

Like we've joked about before in here....it could have been "Mary Jane" day when your speakers were made! lol

Oh, and per the "Bible" (just in case you didn't already know this), the stereo drivers are wired in series whereas the dimensional drivers are wired in parallel. Which is different than mine as they are both wired in parallel (9.5ohm drivers).
    Hey man, you ARE an AK Brother I see :)

I plan to bid on the ebay 6510's BTW, really need them.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited September 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    That's incorrect, as there are a few SDA's that share drivers.

Yep. The 1st generation SRS2's have (8) MW6509's.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The mw6510 reads 8ohms DCR and the mw6511 at 4ohms so the crossover may not be happy with this substitution.
  • heiney9
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the corrections guys. It's probably best to try and get a pair of those MW6510's off e-bay. I didn't realize the original SRS 2's used all the same drivers. The only reason I stated the MW6511 as a temp. fix is because it has the same voice coil winding as the MW6510. The older drivers have a slightly different design. But as stated either the MW6503 or MW6509 will work as well. If it was me, I'd opt for the correct driver which is the MW6510.

Also now that you hear the sound of the sl2000 tweeter perhaps the RD0's are in your future as well. Someone really 'effd with those speakers although it is common for drivers of that age to "freeze" during transport. The magnet works itself loose, some have been able to repair the driver if that's the case.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited September 2007
    Options
    ka7niq wrote: »
    Thanks H9 !
    How do I get this compindum ?

PM Darqueknight and he'll give you the details.

H9
  • ka7niq
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I am bidding on some, thank GOD for Ebay!
  • ka7niq
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the corrections guys. It's probably best to try and get a pair of those MW6510's off e-bay. I didn't realize the original SRS 2's used all the same drivers. The only reason I stated the MW6511 as a temp. fix is because it has the same voice coil winding as the MW6510. The older drivers have a slightly different design. But as stated either the MW6503 or MW6509 will work as well. If it was me, I'd opt for the correct driver which is the MW6510.

Also now that you hear the sound of the sl2000 tweeter perhaps the RD0's are in your future as well. Someone really 'effd with those speakers although it is common for drivers of that age to "freeze" during transport. The magnet works itself loose, some have been able to repair the driver if that's the case.

H9
    Yes H9, I can now HEAR the SL 2000, and it gots to go!

The out of phase tweeters created a suckout "taming" the tweeters, making the SRS 2's sound dark.

That is no longer the case, they now Border on a LITTLE harshness.

Still musical as all get out though.

God, I Love these speakers, I really do!

Still getting SOME image shift and wander, may be crossover related, or maybe the welded 6510 is messing with things ?
    I have the SDA Cable unhooked at the moment.

I MIGHT go back to using the broken in tweeter up top.
    I switched tweeters, put the stereo one in the dimensional place and vice versa.

As you know in my version of the SRS 2's, the dimensional tweeter only works up to 2k.

The dimensional tweeter that was only used up to 2K is now playing full range since I switched em, MAYBE it needs to break in again ?

Not to really worry, as SOON as Polk tells me, I plan on getting 4 replacements.
  • ka7niq
    edited September 2007
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The closest driver to the 6510 that Polk has right now is the 6503, but it does sound a little different. Best to grab the 6510's H9 mentioned or wait until the new ones come out.

BTW, having just passed another milestone B'day, rest assured that I have a shaky memory sometimes. ;)
    Yes, bidding on some right now!
  • ka7niq
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Nice!, I was going to bid and get them because they look so good.

But I will back off now and let you get them.

Don't let them go!!!

You do know how to bid on eBay so that you have a better chance of winning?
    Not really, I just put in what I am willing to pay, and IF I get em, I get em.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The guy is selling two sets of the speakers.

You can share can't you??:D
  • ka7niq
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Joe08867 wrote: »
    The guy is selling two sets of the speakers.

You can share can't you??:D
    I am ONLY bidding on ONE pair !
  • heiney9
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Yes, get the RD0194-1 silk dome replacements (when back in stock). Money well spent as they are completely different than the stock sl2000 tweeter. You will like them a lot, I guarantee (as Justin Wilson---the Cajun cook---used to say). :p

H9
  • ka7niq
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Yes, get the RD0194-1 silk dome replacements (when back in stock). Money well spent as they are completely different than the stock sl2000 tweeter. You will like them a lot, I guarantee (as Justin Wilson---the Cajun cook---used to say). :p

H9
    Hell Yeah I know who Justin is.
    That guy made me HUNGRY just watching him.

I told Ken to let us all know when they arrive, I am DOWN for 4!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,857
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I switched tweeters, put the stereo one in the dimensional place and vice versa.

There isn't a dimensional tweeter in the SRS 2's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ka7niq
    edited September 2007
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    There isn't a dimensional tweeter in the SRS 2's.
    My Bad, again.
    It is a rolled off tweeter, one is anyways.

Polk intentionally cuts it off to go to a point source, and to avoid interference patterns like comb filtering inherent in a vertical tweeter array that is physically seperated.