Need some help from you computer Gurus...

Options
ledhed
ledhed Posts: 1,088
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm going to be building a computer very soon to be used for editing and motion graphics (mainly use Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop). The main specs are as follow (Newegg link to list)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHZ 1066FSB
Asus P5k-e Mobo
4GB DDR2 800 RAM
EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB graphics card
600W power supply
400 GB SATA HDD x 2
Now for a few questions: Obviously, to take advantage of 4GB RAM, I need a 64bit OS soo... XP or Vista? I would normally go with XP but apparently for drivers to be certified for Vista, they have to be 32 and 64 bit compatible so I'm thinking I'll have better luck getting drivers for Vista.

My mobo will support DDR2 1066 RAM but it is more expensive (double the price) I've read that since Intel uses a multiplier to achieve its FSB, I won't even fully realize the speed of 800. Is this true?

Thirdly, is there any pieces I looked over? I have a CPU cooler, case, card reader and DVD Burner on the list but didn't feel they were worth mentioning. Did I leave out anything I will need?

When it comes down to it, I am fairly computer savvy and am not really nervous about assembling a PC but this will be my first build and I want it all to go smoothly.

Thanks,
Ledhed
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
Post edited by ledhed on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited September 2007
    Options
    XP Vista has driver issues. DVD burner
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    Options
    All boards use a multiplier off of a base clock to get other clocks, it's the way they work. If the Intel can't get full speed that's not the reason.

I haven't built a PC in a while so I can't give any advice, just wanted to throw that in there.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ledhed
    edited September 2007
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    XP Vista has driver issues. DVD burner

Did you mean 64bit Vista? And your saying my Burner won't work?
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited September 2007
    Options
    same exact processor and video card i just ordered..i think we did good:D

I am getting Vista, but still have a little apprehension about it...although I hear a service pack is near..

and I think 800 RAM will be more than enough for you. i was reading something recently where you only need about half the amount of the FSB (ie1066/2= 533mhz)..so you are fine..I only ordered 667mhz myself

I think you need the more "suped up" RAM if you plan on doing a lot of overclocking.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • ledhed
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Well, I'm not currently planning on it but considering people are getting over 3GHz on air cooling, I just may overclock it a abit but leave the RAM standard.

I added a different DVD Burner, one that is listed as Vista Compatible. Is that better?
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The processor will support the 4GB of memory. Look at the product tour on the Newegg website and it says that it will support up to 4GB of virtual or physical memory. Since everything that you are buying is Vista compatible, you will be good for the future. While they work the bugs out, just get XP Pro 64 bit so that you can use it easily and know that you won't have any issues and upgrade to Vista later. I built a similar rig and that is what I am doing and couldn't be happier.

I think Engtaz was referring to the fact that you didn't list a DVD burner in your list above, even though it is on the Newegg site that you linked to.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2007
    Options
    ledhed wrote: »
    Well, I'm not currently planning on it but considering people are getting over 3GHz on air cooling, I just may overclock it a abit but leave the RAM standard.

Your RAM is the bottleneck between the processor and RAM; overclocking your CPU doesn't in any way compensate for slower RAM. Overclocking only helps processing operations, not memory operations.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ledhed
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I realize that; that is why I am still questioning getting 1066 RAM. But, from what I've read, each core has a lower FSB (obviously) and that due to multipliers, DDR2 800 will not bottleneck unless overclocked somewhere above 3Ghz. Though this may be incorrect.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited September 2007
    Options
    edbert wrote: »
    While they work the bugs out, just get XP Pro 64 bit so that you can use it easily

I would stay away from XP x64. It's what I use now and support is as poor as Vista's and it's not going to get any better.
  • ledhed
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Sami wrote: »
    I would stay away from XP x64. It's what I use now and support is as poor as Vista's and it's not going to get any better.

That's what I felt - companies are going for Vista compatibility now so I figured I'd use it. Do all the flavors come in 32 and 64 bit versions or are only certain ones 64? I'm looking to get the Ultimate edition.
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited September 2007
    Options
    dont go with xp 64 either use ure old licence of xp prof for this computer and go with vista later or get vista now. if you are going to spend money on an OS then go with vista.

also if you can afford it get a 3rd hdd that is a lot faster than the 2 u have listed. use that as your primary hdd that will really fly and then use the other two as storage.

watch that power supply. check on the rosewill name..
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2007
    Options
    you dont mention it but make sure you take those 2 400 gig drives and raid stripe them, best thing you can do!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ledhed
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The two 400s will be in Raid 1 and I will put either a 250, 300 or 320 in as a system drive.

I honestly see no reason to get a faster drive; I have never felt that my disks have slowed me down, even when using firewire.

Also, for storage my old computer will be getting turned into NAS/FTP file server
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I would go with XP64. Both Vista's 32 and 64 have driver issues.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2007
    Options
    ledhed wrote: »
    The two 400s will be in Raid 1 and I will put either a 250, 300 or 320 in as a system drive.

I honestly see no reason to get a faster drive; I have never felt that my disks have slowed me down, even when using firewire.

Also, for storage my old computer will be getting turned into NAS/FTP file server

If you are getting a system drive, go for a Solid State HArd drive if you can. I jsut bought a Latutude at work with one in it, I'll be able to throw up a review in a few weeks.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited September 2007
    Options
    thejck wrote: »
    also if you can afford it get a 3rd hdd that is a lot faster than the 2 u have listed. use that as your primary hdd that will really fly and then use the other two as storage.

watch that power supply. check on the rosewill name..

More 2 cents... I agree with both of these. The 10k drives offer a nice bump in performance, and Rosewill is the first company I look for in power supplies.

I've put a couple 10k drives in desktop units, acting as DB servers, and the performance went way up. Don't have any good benchmark numbers, though.

I also just setup a solid state laptop (dell 420), and was impressed with its speed. Cost+size are low points right now though for SS.
  • ledhed
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I'd love faster drives but just can't afford it. My budget is 1600 and all the parts add up to 1400 so after tax, I'll barely be in my allot able amount. Thanks so much for all your guys' advice. I can't wait to get all these boxes (hopefully next week)!