Neoplanar Ribbon Speakers

Options
zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited September 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I have always thought it would be cool to make a custom set of ribbon speakers either in an array or just a sweet two or three way. I found this post on the Seattle CL and I was wondering what ya'll think. One of the issues with building a nice pair of ribbon speakers is the price.
I e-mailed the guy and here was his response with the pictures he sent me:

"Jake, the pic with the aluminum grill is a pair I was planning for a boat...the pic with both shows the actual ribbon as it is ...no grill and slightly smaller...they are incredible....you can use a baffle board (16"width) open back or check out "wisdom audio" website for the "extreme" possibilties! they go down to around 275hz! with a 24db crossover...or lower? let me know what you think...Mike"

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ele/417818351.html

What do you think?
1.jpg 265.7K
2.jpg 133.2K
3.jpg 97.8K
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Does the silence mean no go?
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Hi,
    I saw that ad before. He must have trouble selling them or has many sets. It is possible they could sound good but you wont know until they are completed. Always the problem with new or unreviewed gear. But you could try them and let us know how they turn out. Good luck.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • ka7niq
    ka7niq Posts: 577
    edited September 2007
    Options
    bikerboy wrote: »
    Hi,
    I saw that ad before. He must have trouble selling them or has many sets. It is possible they could sound good but you wont know until they are completed. Always the problem with new or unreviewed gear. But you could try them and let us know how they turn out. Good luck.
    I have played with ribbon speakers over the years plenty!
    They CAN sound good, but must be used correctly.
    One mistake many make is crossing them TOO low.
    As a rule, many do not like to play low in frequency.
    This creates a thin sound if crossed in too low.