Just got back from seeing RUSH

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,163
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
All I can say is WOW. What a fantastic show. The light show was worth the price of admission alone. The sound was the best I've ever heard at a live venue and they had 3 screens behind the drum riser with the panel in the middle being largest at apporx. 50 ft. and the 2 flanking it being atleast 30 ft. These screens had the clearest Hi-Def picture I have ever seen. So real and lifelike it was incredible.

They haven't lost a step and even though they were short on real early songs the show was the single most enjoyable concert experience I've had in quite awhile. It helped being in a outdoor amphitheater but even the crowd was a respectful decent looking crowd, not all motley and rowdy.

I have always been a Rush fan although I don't care for too much after Signals. The DVD's really aren't recorded all that well so I wasn;t expecting to be completely blown away. They were most excellent and well worth the $100 price tag.

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited September 2007
    Rush rocks....no doubt about that...3 highly talented musicians.When I think of Rush I remember a phrase from their 1st live album...."...and now the Professor on the drum kit" I'm a drummer and Mr.Peart is an animal:D
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited September 2007
    Major envy.

Their 96 cd Test for echo was decent.
  • heiney9
    edited September 2007
    GaryZ06 wrote: »
    Rush rocks....no doubt about that...3 highly talented musicians.When I think of Rush I remember a phrase from their 1st live album...."...and now the Professor on the drum kit" I'm a drummer and Mr.Peart is an animal:D

I've heard and seen many of the "professor's" solo's and last night's was pretty incredible. He had a brass horn section set-up to trigger with one part of his kit and he really wailed away. Another portion had old Jazz standards playing with photo's on the big screens and he played drums along with some Jazz standards which I thought was very entertaining and well integreated with the photo's and instrumental music.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited September 2007
    Had the pleasure 3 times.....always an awesome show. Only band I have seen in concert more times then I have seen Rush is AC/DC...seen them 6 times :) Twice with Bon Scott and the rest with Johnson.....but Rush live is an experience.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2007
    That must have been a blast for sure. I remember seeing Rush several times in Toronto back in the 70's. Always liked that band. How was Geddy Lee's voice.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2007
    I have always been a huge fan of Rush

Neil Peart is one of my favorite drummers...

I saw them many times in the late 70`s-80`sdo you know of any other prog rock bands that are similar to Rush ?
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited September 2007
    Awesome,H9!! I've seen them about 5 times and have never been disappointed. A truly great live band.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2007
    Keiko wrote: »
    'Triumph'....From back in the early 80's. Too bad they were so short lived.

WOW! I forgot about this one. Being in university in Toronto in the 70's had us getting these bands at concerts before their big claim to fame.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I've heard and seen many of the "professor's" solo's and last night's was pretty incredible. He had a brass horn section set-up to trigger with one part of his kit and he really wailed away. Another portion had old Jazz standards playing with photo's on the big screens and he played drums along with some Jazz standards which I thought was very entertaining and well integreated with the photo's and instrumental music.

Sounds like he used the solo from the "Live in Rio" concert.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • heiney9
    edited September 2007
    nadams wrote: »
    Sounds like he used the solo from the "Live in Rio" concert.

No it was quite different in some parts and shorter too. Certainly similar as in the rotating kit, etc. I have Rush in RIO and I was more impressed with the drum solo last night.......perhaps because I was there.

We had pretty decent seats considering this is an amphitheatre and there was gen. admission lawn seats and a sell out. We weren't on the main floor but we were 3rd row in the second section (next level behind main floor) just off the center stage slightly right.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2007
    yup, good ol Neal hits 5 drums in between the usual drummers one.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • heiney9
    edited September 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    yup, good ol Neal hits 5 drums in between the usual drummers one.

He has always been in my top 5 as a drummer. I still give the slight edge overall to John Henry Bonham and Mitch Mitchell. However, all 3 have very different styles so it's not really fair to compare. All 3 certainly take rock drumming to a completely different level.

Other than playing the new stuff, which sounds even better live, my only disappointment was they didn't play a lot of older (pre Signals) stuff. Like I said, as whole, it's probably the most enjoyable concert I've seen in a long time.

H9
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    He has always been in my top 5 as a drummer. I still give the slight edge overall to John Henry Bonham and Mitch Mitchell. However, all 3 have very different styles so it's not really fair to compare. All 3 certainly take rock drumming to a completely different level.

Other than playing the new stuff, which sounds even better live, my only disappointment was they didn't play a lot of older (pre Signals) stuff. Like I said, as whole, it's probably the most enjoyable concert I've seen in a long time.

H9

Peart is THE percussionist...Bonham is THE drummer.

And I have to agree with RUSH being one of the top 2 or 3 concerts I have ever seen. They really just don't miss a beat.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"