FS: Marantz PM-74D Century - Integrated Amplifier

dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,577
edited October 2007 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Marantz PM-74D Century - Integrated Amplifier - Black - 9/10 - *POOF!*

This is a classic example of Marantz hi-fi gear from the late 80's, specifically 1988-1989. It was the mid-line model of the new PM series which took its roots from some venerable Marantz such as the 7T pre-amplifier and 1200B integrated amplifier.

It's physically identical to the PM-84D. Internally, the PM-84D offered a trick copper coated chassis, increased capacitance and a encapsulated transformer. The topography of the guts also change but its moreso a by-product of the copper coated chassis and longer heat sink fins. The PM-74D uses as many of the copper screws that could have been used on the PM-84D.....so it's still kinda cool :)

In 1988, Marantz was marketing something called QuarterA which allows Class A amplifier operation at normal listening levels, with Class B transition during high power. At most listening levels you'll be 100% Class A and that's a good thing. That being said, it runs warm by design so keep that in mind in regards to placement of the unit.

They also utilize something akin to the NAD PowerDrive(Envelope) or Onkyo WRAT. The buzzword used by Marantz was "Automatic Voltage Shift Supply". It simply supplies more voltage to the output rails for brief high level passages or transients. That's pretty neat for 1988.

The unit is black and flawless, not a scratch or ding anywhere. The interior is dust free and all connections have been treated with CAIG products. The unit has been checked out by my tech and all is well. I have added roughly 1 lb. of Dynamat Extreme to the inside of the unit. All areas that were easily measured were covered in Dynamat. You will be VERY happy.

Anyways, here's some specifications:

100X2@8(Benchtested - 132x2@8 and 196x2@4) It's 4ohm stable.
6 Inputs (Inc. Tape Loop & Gold Plated Inputs on Phone/CD Stage)
Phono Stage (MM/MC)
AVSS (Automatic Voltage Shift Supply)
QuarterA (Class A Design)
Individual Tone Controls for L&R Channels (Bass & Treble)
Tone Control Bypass
A+B Speaker Outputs
CD Direct Mode
Loudness Contour
2 Switched/ 1 Unswitched Convenience Outlets
Weight = 28 lbs.

Includes: Hi-res copy of Stereo Review - Test Report circa 1988.

This unit was paired with a NAIM CDP running Magnepan 10.1 loudspeakers into dreamland without a complaint. If you have any questions or comments, contact me directly: dorokusai@verizon.net

Thanks for reading :D

571D47MPM E
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• dorokusai
    edited September 2007
    I'm gonna Dynamat the inside tonight while I do some other stuff, so consider that a bonus :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2007
    Great amp for some LSi's.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited September 2007
    you couldnt have had this 4 months ago eh
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2007
    This business is all about timing and it doesn't always work :)
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2007
    Here's a picture of the Marantz running some Spendor S5e(Rosenut) that happened to stop by for dinner and a movie.
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2007
    I was able to get about a 1/2 lb of Dynamat inside and it did quiet the chassis pretty well. All surfaces have been treated in some way shape or form. Here's a pic....
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2007
    Anyone need an Integrated Amp?
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited September 2007
    Hmmmmm. A long shot, but I know you've had a NAD C320Bee, as I have one now. How does your Marantz compare?

My NAD is powering Polk Audio RTA12C's & my cdp is a NAD C521Bee.

What do you think?
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2007
    BF - I can't A/B that gear because of the timeframe of ownership. My opinion doesn't matter much aside from its a solid piece of gear. The design is solid and the components are well selected.

I'm a big NAD fan so I'm in a bind. I would offer that the NAD low end will be better but the Marantz top end will extend beyond the typically EU sound.

It's all subjective and worthless in the end but that's what I noticed between the two manufacturers.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited September 2007
    I really appreciate your candor.

Sounds like maybe it'd be something of a lateral move for me, so I guess I'll bag it.

I don't NEED it (does anybody? Ever?), but I sure hope I don't kick myself in the future!

Thanks very much & good luck!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2007
    I appreciate your interest and comments.
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2007
    Integrated anyone? How about I include some pictures of a couple Polkie's engaged in some strange activity during a Polkfest?
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited September 2007
    Doro, where do you find this stuff?
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2007
    Usually in my closet or a neighbors closet, or another neighborhood....sometimes I grab it out of their hands as they reach to change the volume. J/K.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2007
    what does Dynamat do for an amp? I though it was mostly for like CDP's or the like. Educate my sorry **** ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2007
    I believe its predominately done on CDP's because they are the most easily affected pieces of gear. I think it's a benefit for all electronics much like isolation.

The difference in the chassis on the Marantz is very obvious physically, will it help the sound? I don't know, maybe, maybe not but everything that could be done, has been done. The biggest change is that the main chassis cover doesn't ring when tapped anymore as its heavily dampened.