Buying from an individual - is Paypal safe?

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm looking to buy something from someone on another forum, and I'm wondering if Paypal is safe, if I'd have any recourse if he tried to screw me.

I have no reason not to trust the guy other than my own paranoia, but also have no recourse if paypal doesn't offer anything.
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited September 2007
    I always use Paypal when I buy stuff from Ebay...never had any problems..but I've also never had any bad transactions...
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,712
    edited September 2007
    How expensive is the item? PayPal has some basic protection, but its less than if you bought through Ebay. You could also pay him via USPS money order. Then if he screws you, you can threaten him with mail fraud, a federal crime. If the other guy has any kind of decent feedback at the other forum, I wouldn't worry much.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited September 2007
    Use a credit card, that way you have the CC company to fall back on if anything happens.

It wouldn't be a headphone amp that you are buying would it?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2007
    Well I pulled the trigger. I don't feel 100% comfortable with it. In the end I'm out $300 if I get screwed. It's a decent amount, but probably not something I'd remember 5 years from now. This is someone from the Head-fi forums. he doesn't have alot of posts there, has only been around a few months, and didn't have any Paypal feedback.

But he seemed legit enough, and his paypal ID shows being active since 2004.

We'll see what happens.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited September 2007
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    Well I pulled the trigger. I don't feel 100% comfortable with it. In the end I'm out $300 if I get screwed. It's a decent amount, but probably not something I'd remember 5 years from now. This is someone from the Head-fi forums. he doesn't have alot of posts there, has only been around a few months, and didn't have any Paypal feedback.

But he seemed legit enough, and his paypal ID shows being active since 2004.

We'll see what happens.

For the future their are escrow services that act as an intermediary. I'm sure they have some fee's but from what little I've read they can be a viable alternative when transacting this type of business.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2007
    Looks like my paranoia (is it really paranoia if all the other voices in my head are telling me that they're thinking the same thing) was unwarranted. My package arrived in perfect condition.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited September 2007
    I buy stuff off ebay, CL, and anywhere else using paypal all the time. Never needed to use any kind of protection they offer, but nice to know it's there.

For the most part, it seems people buying and selling audio gear and passionate hobbyists like the rest of us and aren't looking to screw people over. In most cases, people go out of their way to help noobs like myself and will throw in cables, etc. for free.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • lt1z350
    lt1z350 Posts: 16
    edited September 2007
    yeah for a transaction it is fine just don leave money sitting in the account as they can take it back.
    polk rti8 for fronts
    polk csi3 for center
    polk fxi3 for surround rear
    polk rc85i in ceiling for surround
    Marantz sr 7500 receiver
    Mitsu diamond HD 1080i 55 inch.
    Direct tv. HD dvr
    Now need to replace the klh sub....
  • koz
    koz Posts: 11
    edited September 2007
    repeating the credit card. paypal only protects a certian amount. go through your credit card company if you have a problem
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited September 2007
    Paypal works best in case of a problem if there is some emails back and forth that they can use to determine if a refund is warranted. make sure to be specific in asking about the condition of the item being purchased.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3