Sunfire amplifier common ground?

Options
kensimpsonsg
kensimpsonsg Posts: 4
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Hi, I am using the SDA 2.3TL speakers currently. I just bought a used Sunfire signature amplifier (early version it seems, fixed powercord & plastic binding posts, signature on the front), but I am afraid it is not a "common ground" amp. How do I even know its common ground? I do not have the A1 interconnect cable, just the normal straight cable. Anyone has owned this amp & used it successfully with the SDA? I don't wish to blow up everything on connection. Thanks!
Post edited by kensimpsonsg on

Comments

• Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

You can use a VOM meter set to Ohms and probe the two Negative terminals. If you show a direct short, it is common.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Before you use the VOM meter make sure the amplifier is unplugged from the speakers and power source.
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I have the sunfire sig amp 425wpc and I am using it with my polk speakers. I called sunfire before my purchase and I was told the amp was common ground. I have not had any problems so far ( 4 +/- months). If you are still concerned just call Sunfire ... they couldn't have been more helpful.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited September 2007
    Options
    My Sunfire Signature 600 ~ Two works fine with my SDA's connected to the voltage source outputs.
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • kensimpsonsg
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Thank you so much guys, yes that is my 1st ever post! I will go try the multimeter test tonight, have emailed to sunfire but not yet got a reply.
  • kensimpsonsg
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Well, it looks like the negative terminals are a direct short using the multimeter. However, sunfire has not replied me, and I don't wish to blow up the 2 best equipment I have by being rash. Argh, this wait is killing me!