Removing Magnet Cover

Smokedoutz28
Smokedoutz28 Posts: 22
edited September 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello From Chicago this is my first post im not new to the forums i've been a long time lurker i just decided to finally join up after registering my DB6500's :)

Im looking into purchasing the MMC6500 Component speakers to replace the current DB6500's i have right now in my 96 Chevy Suburban (6 Speaker system), Unfortunally they wern't meant to fit in the factory location because of depth issues but its not off by much 2.43 needed 2.40 supplied from the factory (numbers recieved from a Crutchfield saleman). My question is how does the magnet cover come off and will there be any potiential problems if i remove them?

Also do you think the cost of the new speaker and time it will take me to modify the factory location (Rear Doors Only) is worth the swap? The DB6500 i have are no more then 2 months old and provide good sound but when i purchased the truck every speaker was blown except the front two. I decided to replace them with the DB6500 because they were on sale and looked to give me what i was looking for, But now i've been doing my homework and researching to learn more about component speakers and how they will provide better overall sound then a coaxial speaker and read alot about the MMC6500 and now it has me wondering if there actually better and could really put my system over the top. My current setup consist of (2) Db6500's fronts only no rear fill (yet) dynamat Sound deadening on the front doors Alpine MRV-F545 125w x4 RMS with a jensen touch screen in dash dvd. My plans are to either keep the DB6500s in the front doors and add two more in the rear doors as well as adding Polks 4x10 components in the way back. The reason for this is when playing dvd's the sound just doesnt sound the same when it's comming from just the front doors plus with my football season starting i will be transporting fellow teammates around to the local games and want the sound to fill the vehicle better. Thanks for the help and advice.
Post edited by Smokedoutz28 on

Comments

• ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited September 2007
    you simply twist off the magnet cover. it pops right off. i don't know if it would be worth the upgrade, honestly..my gf has the db6500s, and i the momo6500's and really, they both sound great. (mine are better, of course!) there are no problems with them when they operate without the magnet cups. mine have been lost somewhere and i care not. if you are only putting them in the rear, they're gonna be loud back there, louder than your db's in the front if they're amped. if you swap, do them all, also to keep the timbre matched.
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • Smokedoutz28
    edited September 2007
    Thanks for the reply, My plans were to modify the rear doors to make them fit (they will need a extra 1/2'' to clear) and to put the MMC6500 in all 4 doors. Reading some more of the specs of each shows that the DB's have a lower frequency response which should allow them to have better bass then the MMC6500s is this the case or is that wrong? If anything i will just add the DB's to the rear doors the 4x10's to the way back and call it good. Eventually i will add some 12'' subs to help with the bass but for right now im wondering if the MMC6500 would be better for what im looking for right now. Also tomorrow im going to turn down my crossover points to 65hz rather then the 80 there at now so i might see a difference that eliminate the doubt & curiousity that i have now.
  • Smokedoutz28
    edited September 2007
    Bump, Can anyone help me decide?
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited September 2007
    its preference bud, i mean would u rather have good sound and slightly better bass or crystal clear sound and really not much less of a noticable bass reduction.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    Thanks for the reply, My plans were to modify the rear doors to make them fit (they will need a extra 1/2'' to clear) and to put the MMC6500 in all 4 doors. Reading some more of the specs of each shows that the DB's have a lower frequency response which should allow them to have better bass then the MMC6500s is this the case or is that wrong?

Specs dont tell the whole story. The Momo is a better speaker, will sound better and will have better low end response.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Smokedoutz28
    edited September 2007
    Thanks guys for the response. I will replace the DB's and put those in my camaro and install the new Momo's in all 4 doors (Hopefully).

Any idea's on how to eat up 1/2'' of depth in the rear doors while keeping the stock speaker covers over them to prevent someone from damaging my speakers?