Using parallel mono mode for SDA 2's

Options
michaeljhsda2
michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,175
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I know you can't use bridged mono amps with the SDA's but can you use amplifiers in the parallel mono mode? thanks
SDA SRS 2.3TL's
Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
SDA 2B TL's
Post edited by michaeljhsda2 on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I know you can't use bridged mono amps with the SDA's but can you use amplifiers in the parallel mono mode? thanks

Not sure what you mean. Are you talking "dual mono" construction? If so, check with the manufacturer or use and VOM meter to check for continuity between the neg speaker terminals. Many "dual mono" designs are not common ground. Also check with the manufacturer if it is determined they are non-common ground to see if the neg speaker terminals can be strapped to create a common ground. DO NOT do that until you know for sure from the manufacturer.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Parallel Mono would mean you are only using one line signal instead of two as in stereo.

Parallel mono mode: In most amps, this is where inputs 1 and 2 are tied together, or sometimes input 2 is not used at all - only input 1. Regardless, one signal is fed (usually from input 1), to BOTH internal amp channels. This means that output 1 and output 2 are always putting out the same thing (depending of course on their separate volume controls).

You would only get half of the music information that way. The only reason I could see for this would be Bi-amping your speakers. Either way it would take more then one amp and then you would need AI-1 Interface cable.

Unless you have Crown Macrotech amplifiers. They have there own method of Parallel that I don't understand.

Here is a good description of bridged mono.
    http://www.digitaldj.ws/mediawrite/Tech%20pages/Bridged-Mono.htm
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,175
    edited September 2007
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's