sub amp

vawakemonster
vawakemonster Posts: 131
edited September 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Right now I have a profile amp on my sub ap600 on a 10 inch momo. I feel with my current setup(in my sig) the sub amp is not up to par with the rest of my system and the bass im getting is sloppy.

the guy at tweeter talked up JL alot saying there 250 watt amp would out preform alot of 300 watt amps blah.....I am not so sure about that I know tey are solid but that solid?

There is an alpine 300wat amp That is the one I am most enthused about so far.

so what else are my options? should i work on upgrading to a 500-1000 dollar set of components first or should I work on cleaning up my bass? if soo recommendations. I was thinking focal components maybe. if so could I use my profile to power them and would they sound decent?
Dodge Dakota
HU: Pioneer
Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
Subwoofer: polk mm2104
Post edited by vawakemonster on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited September 2007
    this would be a good match for u, and its a freaking great deal.
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/ROC06P3251

I dont know what your current components sound like, but if u arent happy with your current setup and u have the money, why not?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited September 2007
    that amp is only rated at 175 w. i would go at LEAST 500 with a ten incher..

by the way, the focals sound amazing. get them.
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited September 2007
    175 at 4 ohms....
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • vawakemonster
    edited September 2007
    i need 300W at 4ohms. SVC
    Dodge Dakota
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited September 2007
    I would look at your settings (boost, x-over frequency, phase) or enclosure (too big or small, or not sealed properly). The amp you are running is more of a budget amp, but still a solid amp, and it should not be producing the type of bass that you are describing.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    I agree with Max.

175 isnt much for that sub but if anything, youd be getting less bass and not sloppy bass.

Chances are, your crossover point is too high and youre getting a lot of the 100-160 Hz range.

You do need a bigger amp but experiment with different tuning settings and see what you can come up with.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • vawakemonster
    edited September 2007
    I have it in a .65 volume box. the crossover point is 80 Hz. thats the only option alpine gives. I think my components are lacking in mid bass or need more power.
    Dodge Dakota
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited September 2007
    blackmax what happened to the fosgate amps you had?
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • 1996blackmax
    edited September 2007
    I have it in a .65 volume box. the crossover point is 80 Hz. thats the only option alpine gives. I think my components are lacking in mid bass or need more power.

Was the bass always not to your liking, or did it develop this way over time?

Changing your enclosure size (bigger), or adding polyfill to it will give you a little lower response. You can try the polyfill to see if you can further tune your enclosure. This ofcourse would be after making sure that your enclosure is properly sealed with no air leaks. This can be done by simply pushing down on the center of the cone and listening for leaks. If found, some silicone will work to seal it up.

Adding more power will definately help in the output and impact department (both for your mids and sub), but the sloppy bass you are referring to is probably not related to the amp you have. I would looke into an amp that has and adjustable crossover, that way you can bypass the x-over within the hu.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2007
    how `bout a momo 500.1 ?
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • 1996blackmax
    edited September 2007
    killerb wrote: »
    blackmax what happened to the fosgate amps you had?

They are currenlty in my garage......sale pending...maybe. I am running the audisons now. Very small amps in terms of footprint like the RF's, and pack alot of punch as well. The 1.400 is a class a/b amp capable of putting out 900 watts RMS at 1ohm. I currently have it at 2ohms, and in this configuration it puts out 650 watts RMS. These things are actually only 6.9 inches wide.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • vawakemonster
    edited September 2007
    i have a .65 box that is Q logic. there is a small plastic plate on the back to let the sub magnet go back further which might cause this. I have some poly fill in the bottom but im sure i could use more.... the components are rates to 55 wats RMS and my amp is 50 RMS by 2. have never been able to tune the bass quite perfectly maybe its because im 16 and i do all of my audio stuff myself.
    I got my dynomat and HU from tweeter I'm sure one the employees there that I know would help me try and adjust my system. My sub amp has both a HP and LP crossover so i could use that. what if i fired the sub tot he rear and it was like 1 inch from the metal wall on the back of the cab would this cause SQ problems provided it did not hit the wall just got close.
    Dodge Dakota
  • 1996blackmax
    edited September 2007
    Even at 16 you can make it sound good ;). I would add a little more polyfill as the total net volume of enclosure is actually less than the .65 cubic feet after taking the sub's displacement into account. Besides, many times companies get into this smallest box competitin thing. If possible, I usually go a little bigger with the box. When not possible, adding some polyfill helps.

Make sure that box is air tight. Almost every Q-Logic box I have ever used have had air leaks that I had to seal up with silicone.

Try turning the box around to see if that helps your response. Adding some deadener to the area of the cab where the sub is close to would probably be a good idea too. In one of my installs, my sub was actually very close to the back of my trunk. Sounded pretty good this way too.

Another thing to try is to try to reverse the phase on the sub. This is just flipping the speaker connections on the sub around. Meaning having the negative terminal of the speaker going to the positive terminal of the amp, and the positive terminal of the speaker going to the negative terminal of the amp. Sometimes this helps the sub blend in better with the rest of the system.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • vawakemonster
    edited September 2007
    i tried the reverse speaker leads. with my pioneer it helped with my alpine it doesn't my sub is in a truck box and i actually have ti sandwiched between the seat and the back of the cab so it wont move. I just put a peace of 2 by 4 across the top of the enclosure so the seat rests on it and not the sub itself. so I would have to make an entirely new enclosure to try that. and it would be with in an inch of the back of the cab. there is a little bit of poly fill in my sub box across the bottom. in my eq i cut 80 HS with the biggest curve i could Q4 and it sounds a hellofa lot better now. i really wish I had gotten the focals or the momos.
    Dodge Dakota
  • vawakemonster
    edited September 2007
    holy crap i flipped my sub to face the rear. i put a piece of 2 by 2 on the floor and on the top above the sub and then used the seat to make the box rest on the 2 by 2 so that the sub cant hit the metal rear of my cab and the seat holds it snuggly in place. holy crap did that make a difference my entire bass issue leaned up!!! every song sounds so good. I had to add a little more gain but it fixxed worlds of imaging and bass problems.
    Dodge Dakota
  • 1996blackmax
    edited September 2007
    Cool........sometimes that's all it takes :). Some of my friends have sub in their truck's and man the bass sounds very nice in there.

Even in a sedan with the sub in the trunk, moving the box around and facing the sub different ways will yield different results.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • vawakemonster
    edited September 2007
    well im amazed a the results I have the box all wedge in there becasue the back was flat and the front where the sub was was slanted to accommodate a seat. but its worth it for the SQ increase
    Dodge Dakota