Which Subwoofer - Polk Audio MM2104DVC vs. Image Dynamics IDQ10D4??

grateful72
grateful72 Posts: 38
edited September 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello all.

Just trying to decide which sub to buy. I am mainly looking for Sound Quality.

My little system.........
Head Unit: Alpine 9883
Front Speakers: Polk MMC650's powered by Boston Acoustics Amp
Rear Speakers: None
Subwoofer Amp: Kicker Mono Amp that runs 300 watts RMS @ 2 ohms

I plan on using a sealed box that is ~ .7 cubic feet.

Any thoughts on which sub I should buy?
Post edited by grateful72 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    Cant go wrong with either. Theyre both quite excellent.

Ive been using a MM2104 for a couple years now and it works well for me.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • grateful72
    grateful72 Posts: 38
    edited September 2007
    Thanks Mac.

It's always a tough call when you can't hear the sub (or any equipment) in your car before you purchase.

Do you think there would be any benefit to matching the sub to my speakers (i.e. using Polk Momo products for both)?
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited September 2007
    as far as i have heard, sub and speakers dont matter much, just speakers itself, for example a few installers told me i wouldnt want infinity in the front and alpine in the back because they focus more towards diffrent sounds, and u will get an odd blend, not sure if its true, but thats what i have heard.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited September 2007
    grateful72 wrote: »
    Do you think there would be any benefit to matching the sub to my speakers (i.e. using Polk Momo products for both)?

The problem will only rear it's head when you pair speakers that won't play midbass well with a sub system that is designed only to play fairly low (with a low crossover point).

The Momos dig fairly deep in the midbass range, and should blend well with either sub and still give you some flexibility with your HPF/LPF crossover points to fine-tune things.

I've heard both the Momo and IDQ subs, and Mac's right- both will get the job done nicely and sound good. Both work in smallish enclosures with the amount of amplifier power you have on hand.