rta 12c hookup question

Options
snkby
snkby Posts: 3
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
glad to find this forum !

just scored a pair of rta 12c and wondering what the 3 little holes above the speaker terminals are for ?

i thought they were for the sda interconnect but i have since learned that the rta 12c are not sda.

going to haul them into the garage now and hook them up to my also newly scored and minty pioneer sx-1250. :)

not a bad setup for $40 ! lololololololol :O

thanks.
Post edited by snkby on

Comments

• BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I have the exact same speakers - RTA12C's - & I love them. I never noticed the 3 holes, but there they are! As far as I know, they serve no critical purpose - at least there's nothing that I know of that is meant to be placed there.

Did you score both speakers and receiver for $40? If you did, that's the find of the century! You'll love them both.

Welcome to the forum. If you do a search on RTA12's, you'll find a lot of information here. They are well thought of in this community. Congratulations!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • snkby
    edited September 2007
    Options
    answer is yes i scored the pair of rta 12c and the 9.8/10 sx-1250 for $40 total. :)

just finished listening to them and happy to report all drivers are fine.

i did have to go around and tighten all the screws holding the drivers which is par for the course for any used speaker(s).

second thing i did was put some thick felt on that sloping metal plate in front of the tweeters which really helped female vocals.

then while fm station surfing i landed on some dj playing the first boston album !

jeez i wish i could have really cranked it but the kids were asleep and the neighbors would have been pissed.

scored the sx-1250 just last week and on both occasions something told me to stop by the recyclery and in both instances i found nothing and was literally walking to my car when someone pulled up and started unloading stuff. :)

there has to be some explanation for those 3 holes.

thanks again.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited September 2007
    Options
    The 3 "holes" are simply rivets, not holes at all.

Pioneer........well, my mother told me if I didn't have anything good to say, not to say anything.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Congrats on your RTA 12C's and the silver Pioneer.... you are one lucky dog. :)

Post a picture if you can of both of those.. me wannna see.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • snkby
    edited September 2007
    Options
    xxxx

supposed to be in reply to f1nut not you danger boy.

will post a pic.

wanna see the sx-1250 sitting on top of its big bro sx-1980 which i got for free !? lolololololo

on second thought that thing weighs too much to just haul around for fun.

i always did lust after those hugeass receivers back in the late 70s but on a highschoolers budget there was no way.

so nice now to painlessly acquire that kind of stuff.

hey universe! where are my free dcm timewindows now !? lolololol
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited September 2007
    Options
    All I can say is be careful how loud you play that Pioneer. Pushing it will damage your tweeters. Old vintage gear like that can be unpredictable and they had a very different way of measuring output at that time. Not saying it won't work with the RTA-12's but just be careful.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2007
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    All I can say is be careful how loud you play that Pioneer. Pushing it will damage your tweeters. Old vintage gear like that can be unpredictable and they had a very different way of measuring output at that time. Not saying it won't work with the RTA-12's but just be careful.

H9

but if his RTA12C's have SL2000 tweeters.. does it really matter how loud he plays them? :rolleyes: :p;)

meaning.. would anyone miss it if it got toasted? :eek: :p

JK!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: