Alaska Bound

dkg999
dkg999 Posts: 5,647
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Finally, vacation time for me is here! On Thursday I am headed to Anchorage for 10 days of fishing, hunting, general f'ing around in the Kenai/Seldotna areas, GMU #15 to be more specific :D Anyone know of any places in that part of Alaska I should try to visit? I've been told by the locals we are going to see that there is a local brew from Homer AK that we want to sample! I plan to stop in at Wild West Guns in Anchorage as one of the rifles I am using is one of their builds. Do we have an CP forum members in the Anchorage area?
DKG999
HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
Post edited by dkg999 on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited September 2007
    Snow lives up there (Alaska that is), but not sure exactly where. I am sure he will chime in. Good Luck and have fun.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited September 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    Snow lives up there (Alaska that is), but not sure exactly where. I am sure he will chime in. Good Luck and have fun.

Yes I live in alaska but im a little over 400 miles north from where he is going.

The Kenai soldatna area is nice up there. Game managment unit 15 should be a nice area to do a little hunting fishing allright.

As far as the local beers go I dont have a clue, I dont drink. But I know there are several micro brewerys here in AK.

Wish I could be of more help :o Im sure there has be someone here on CP that is closer than I, that can clue you in on some of the better places to Sleep eat, drink hunt fish etc in that area.

Good luck have fun take lots of pics :)

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • dkg999
    edited September 2007
    We have local guides and a friend's house on the Kenai river to stay at when we aren't out in the bush camping. I've spent some time near Rampart AK, which is way north of where we are going. I'll have some free time in Anchorage and probably some in Seldotna, so just looking for the those local places to visit that the locals recommend. I'll post pic's when I get back!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • snow
    edited September 2007
    dkg999 wrote: »
    We have local guides and a friend's house on the Kenai river to stay at when we aren't out in the bush camping. I've spent some time near Rampart AK, which is way north of where we are going. I'll have some free time in Anchorage and probably some in Seldotna, so just looking for the those local places to visit that the locals recommend. I'll post pic's when I get back!
    Rampart huh? big town there lol

Here are a couple of pics to show peeps where Rampart, Fairbanks, Kenai are at on the map. The little red dots represent where each are at in that order.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • dkg999
    edited September 2007
    I was expecting my first trip to Rampart to be a little more exciting .... once we got into town, I realized it was hardly worth the effort :eek: At least we could restock on toilet paper and beer!

Only a short little trip from Fairbanks to Kenai! It's a big state ;)
    DKG999

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited September 2007
    Good luck on your vacation! I hope you have a safe trip and a great time.:)
    Carl

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited September 2007
    Have a great trip. Alaska is one place I always wanted to visit.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited September 2007
    Enjoy your trip, Doug!! We'll hold down the fort while you're gone.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited September 2007
    Hey Doug,

Have a great 10 days and if you find any great Alaskan audio deals be sure to take advantage :D:p . Can't be that much to air freight the items back to the main land.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited September 2007
    If you're going to be doing some fishing, try Little Willow Creek and Deception Creek which are both located on the Parks Hwy. between Anchorage and Fairbanks. There should be plenty of Silvers starting in and lots of big Bows feeding on the salmon eggs. About an hours drive out of Anchorage, and some of the less crowded streams I've fished in the area. Make lots of noise when bustin through the brush, the bears think they are good fishing spots too. The drive over Hatcher Pass between the Parks Hwy. and Palmer is a great trip this time of year too. Near the town of Palmer is Moose Creek which has good fishing too.
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited September 2007
    Doug,
    have a great trip! I don't know squat about Alaska. In fact, right now I'm as far north as I want to ever be. The beer will probably be nice and cold though! (I do know a little about beer, just not alaskan beer)
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited September 2007
    Hi there. Enjoy this wonderful state during your visit! If you get down to Homer, check out Ring of Fire Meadery. Not exactly beer, but they have some wonderful concotions there! I moved from Seward to Anchorage last month and am still getting used to the "big city". If you need any suggestions let me know. If your on the Kenai, you'll have to check out the Russian River just outside Cooper Landing for fishing, though I think all of the salmon runs are done for the year. I could be wrong though. Again, enjoy!
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited September 2007
    Hey Snow, how long have you lived in Fairbanks? I lived there for 16 years before moving down to Seward. Not that many Alaskans on CP I think.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • snow
    edited September 2007
    Hey Snow, how long have you lived in Fairbanks? I lived there for 16 years before moving down to Seward. Not that many Alaskans on CP I think.
    Hi pmckeealaska. Not really sure how long ive lived here lol, since some time in the 70s anyways. I got to alaska in 1966 but didnt move to fairbanks till the mid 70s.

REGARDS SNOW
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited September 2007
    enjoy yourself and relax, take in the great outdoors.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Lowell_M
    edited September 2007
    Which system are you taking with you? :)
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • dkg999
    edited September 2007
    a_mattison wrote: »
    Which system are you taking with you? :)

I've got the 80gb iPod fully stocked with new tunes and movies for the flights. I'll post pics when I get back.

Yeah me! It's finally time to leave!
    DKG999

• Lowell_M
    edited September 2007
    What are you taking for an amp? subwoofer? pre?
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited September 2007
    Awesome, I am most definitely jealous! A friend of mine lives in Barrow, but I'm not sure I'd want to visit someplace that's well above the Arctic Circle, so visiting him is still debatable...

Alaska and New Zealand are my 2 "dream vacation destinations"...enjoy yourself, I'm sure you will.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    Have fun Doug! If I PM my addy will you have some smoked salmon shipped overnight?:eek: :D