Car Question

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Sorry for this dumb question, but I was wondering if you could save gas by putting your car in neutral at every stoplight?

It seems that in Asia(China/Japan) this is standard practice but I've always wondered if it was to save gas. Don't see it much in America.
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited August 2007
    The money you save on gas, you will have to pay to repair your transmission. I cannot see it saving much as most engines rev higher in neutral than in drive. My ride is a unicycle, so what do I know?
    Venom
  • Serendipity
    edited August 2007
    Why is it bad for the transmission?

When I visited China a lot of people put their automatic cars into neutral at every stop.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    How many of those people shift from neutral back to drive without their foot on the brake? So it just kinda "pops" into gear.....I believe thats what venom meant by transmission problems.
  • Serendipity
    edited August 2007
    How many of those people shift from neutral back to drive without their foot on the brake? So it just kinda "pops" into gear.....I believe thats what venom meant by transmission problems.

Didn't really pay attention at the time, but one of the taxis I was riding in was in neutral when the light turned green, and then when it took off it clunked forward violently. It was like "whirr...whirr...BANG" when it took off and was quite a jolt.

Is this what you are talking about?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    Automatics have what is called a "torque converter", which is basically what allows you to sit at a stop light in gear without stalling.

Because of this, when you're at a stop sign, your engine is, in essence, idling.

Shifting into neutral gains you nothing at all, and since your automatic transmission is not designed to be shifted back and forth from neutral every stop light, it most likely causes some extra wear and tear if you do. At the absolute least it gains you nothing, at the very most it's costing you thousands of dollars in future repairs for no gain.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Didn't really pay attention at the time, but one of the taxis I was riding in was in neutral when the light turned green, and then when it took off it clunked forward violently. It was like "whirr...whirr...BANG" when it took off and was quite a jolt.

Is this what you are talking about?

kinda, especially if hes already on the gas a little when he moves it to drive
  • Serendipity
    edited August 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Shifting into neutral gains you nothing at all, and since your automatic transmission is not designed to be shifted back and forth from neutral every stop light, it most likely causes some extra wear and tear if you do. At the absolute least it gains you nothing, at the very most it's costing you thousands of dollars in future repairs for no gain.

I can understand the wear and tear part. So basically it's useless...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2007
    Perhaps the Taxi was in bad tune and can't idle in gear at light?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• lomic
    lomic Posts: 407
    edited August 2007
    My boss drove me to one of our business partner buildings once - he's Chinese American (grew up in US), and I noticed him doing this on his van. I thought it was quite strange, but interesting to know it may be culturally learned. My thoughts were similar, that it was bad for the transmission - especially if extra care isn't given to the auto trans fluid.

However, this isn't as bad as those few people out there who think it's good to turn their car OFF at red lights and drive-thrus to save gas.
    Dodd Audio ELP [ Tubes ] // Harman Kardon AVR330 // Parasound HCA-1203A // Denon DVD-2900
    Polk Audio LSi9, LSiC, LSi 7 // HSU STF-2 // Signal Cable Interconnects (SG BW/A2/MP)
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2007
    Your RPM's will probably rev higher in neutral and you'll burn more gas.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    Your RPM's will probably rev higher in neutral and you'll burn more gas.
    My first thought.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited September 2007
    Actually, having the transmission in neutral produces less heat. In hot stop and go traffic, it's best to have the tranny in neutral vs drive.

In neutral the transmission is totally disengaged from the engine, causing no build-up of heat from your torque convertor.
  • Face
    edited September 2007
    That's correct that it produces less heat, but would producing less heat equal better fuel economy?
    I guess the only way to tell for sure is to use a scan tool and compare injector pulse widths and vacuum parameters between N & D while stopped.
    I would also be concerned about extra wear on the transmission selector cable.
    I have a feeling my 4400 stall wouldn't make a difference at a light. :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited September 2007
    Automatics have what is called a "torque converter", which is basically what allows you to sit at a stop light in gear without stalling.

Because of this, when you're at a stop sign, your engine is, in essence, idling.

You actually DO use slightly less gas when shifted into neutral. Also, your car will not generate as much heat and you will be less likely to overheat at the stoplight. This may be the reason that you have seen people do this in the stop and go traffic of China. I read this in one of the car magazines (car and driver, Road and Track, Motortrend... one of those). When you are in "drive" and stopped, the engine is still trying to drive the wheels through the transmission, but due to the viscous coupling of the torque converter, the transmission slips. You are still putting energy into the system. When in neutral the transmission is disengaged mechanically.

So, you wouldn't probably see an increase in gas mileage, but your car won't overheat as quickly.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited September 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    Actually, having the transmission in neutral produces less heat. In hot stop and go traffic, it's best to have the tranny in neutral vs drive.

In neutral the transmission is totally disengaged from the enigine, causing no build-up of heat from your torque convertor.

OH... thanks Mike. I should have read to the bottom of the thread. Mine seems so wordy now....
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • MikeC78
    edited September 2007
    Nice way to describe it a_m! I'm a man of little words.:o
  • MikeC78
    edited September 2007
    Face wrote: »
    That's correct that it produces less heat, but would producing less heat equal better fuel economy?
    I guess the only way to tell for sure is to use a scan tool and compare injector pulse widths and vacuum parameters between N & D while stopped.
    I would also be concerned about extra wear on the transmission selector cable.
    I have a feeling my 4400 stall wouldn't make a difference at a light. :D

Well, you are putting more of a load on the engine in 'D' than in 'N', theoritically causing the use of more gas.

The reason I'd ever put the tranny in neutral, is if I'm ever stuck in a "jam" somewhere, or idling for extended periods of time. Much easier on your tansmission...

BTW, do you drag race?? Why such a need for a high-stall convertor?
  • hypertone
    hypertone Posts: 150
    edited September 2007
    When a car is in neutral, the revs increase, but that does not mean economy decreases, because you are removing load from the engine. It requires less energy (fuel) to idle an engine in neutral, that one engaged in drive.

If I'm anywhere where I'm planning to idle more than a minute without moving, I switch to N. It causes some where each time you shift to D, but it also causes wear idling in D because of the friction produced by the clutches. If it's a short stop, don't shift. If you are stuck in traffic and don't plan to move for say 2 minutes shift to N.
  • MikeC78
    edited September 2007
    There must be a parrot somewhere in here?:confused:

:p
  • Face
    edited September 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    BTW, do you drag race?? Why such a need for a high-stall convertor?
    Yep. 4400 stall + 3.90 rear + 26" tire= 1.49-1.55 60's and 11.0-11.2 1/4's in a 3340lbs 400rwhp/370rwtq 98 C5. I'm up to 410rwhp and 390lb/rwtq now, hoping for 10's this fall.

To keep it on topic, I average 20mpg on the parkway, 15 combined. :D
  • Serendipity
    edited September 2007
    Face wrote: »
    Yep. 4400 stall + 3.90 rear + 26" tire= 1.49-1.55 60's and 11.0-11.2 1/4's in a 3340lbs 400rwhp/370rwtq 98 C5. I'm up to 410rwhp and 390lb/rwtq now, hoping for 10's this fall.

I have no idea what all that means.

On topic, wouldn't idling in Neutral mean less heat = less wear on the transmission?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• disneyjoe7
    edited September 2007
    I don't know brings me back 20 years ago with my Carburetor days of engines. Idle at 800 in gear 1000 out of gear same position on throttle same gasoline feed same air feed.

In short no MPG increase doing that, just more wear on transmission.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Serendipity
    edited September 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    In short no MPG increase doing that, just more wear on transmission.

I've always wondered then, shouldn't these cars in China be all in the shop due to transmission problems? Especially in constant stop and go traffic, when the driver shifts from N to D while already on the gas?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• disneyjoe7
    edited September 2007
    Perhaps faster idle less load cooler engine?

Not sure may have to ask a co-worker who was raised in China to see if she knows?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    OK, i have a solution for everyone with automatics on the forum.

Put your car in neutral, step on the gas till about 5000 rpm, then pull it down to drive......"feel" that. :D
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    Stop driving automatics.

Problem solved.
  • MikeC78
    edited September 2007
    Stop driving automatics.

Problem solved.

:confused: How is that? You either press the clutch or put the car in neutral, right?
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2007
    Well, sure, but you have no CHOICE... :)
  • Serendipity
    edited September 2007
    Put your car in neutral, step on the gas till about 5000 rpm, then pull it down to drive......"feel" that. :D

Too funny.

Someone should use this as their signature :)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    edited September 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Too funny.

Someone should use this as their signature :)

It's an awesome feeling. I highly recommend only doing it on rental cars though.....