I really dispise HDMI sometimes

2»

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2007
    So Iomic, do you agree with that HDMI as more bandwidth over an Optical or Coax digital audio input?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited September 2007
    Absolutely speechless.:(
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited September 2007
    God I hope not I'm tied of something for 3 years and then we all switch. I ask who wins Ron who?
    ummmm, what?
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited September 2007
    Ron, 2 years from now they came out with HDMIx with a larger improved connection with a clip ring for securing cable. Which is not compatible with HDMI so anyone with a new TV or new AVR is Fk'd

Ok I just tried of it. :) Getting old ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited September 2007
    Got'cha.

The component is a fine, solid connection that works without flaw, so whom ever came up with this HDMI connection should be $(@*^#@*(^!!! I hate it. I had to use 3 velcro straps to get a solid connection for the HDMI connection to my HD-A1 otherwise heavy bass scenes would cause picture drop.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited September 2007
    What I should've realized right away, was it was a handshake (timing) issue. I work with telcom digital signal equipment everyday, and from my experience it's almost never a hardware or cabling issue, but in my own family room, I still assumed the worst. What I actually thought was the Oppo, at 9 mos old, had taken a big dump.

As far as why I'm going through the AVR with hdmi, when I put it all together, I found out doing it that way was the easiest way at the time to make sure I had on screen commands with the cables I had on hand. Since it hadn't caused me any problems, I figured why change it?

Four concert discs later, no problems. :)
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • rtart
    rtart Posts: 832
    edited September 2007
    I had LOTS of HDMI issues with my HD-A1 to a Vizio P50 plasma. Firmware update on the HD-A1 fixed it. I read somewhere that only a small percentage of systems installed by high-end installers actually use the HDMI connections available. most use component, because it always works.
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L-C-R, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 705 rears
    Polk LSiM 702s x 4 on the Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Emotiva XPA11 Gen 3
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS2000/NX7 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • disneyjoe7
    edited September 2007
    rtart wrote: »
    I had LOTS of HDMI issues with my HD-A1 to a Vizio P50 plasma. Firmware update on the HD-A1 fixed it. I read somewhere that only a small percentage of systems installed by high-end installers actually use the HDMI connections available. most use component, because it always works.

I'm begining that high-end installers are using component also, but how are they getting HD video output from todays DVD players. If you're not using HDMI you're not getting 720p / 1080i video from component input. Not that component can't do that the player what give it to you.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited September 2007
    Component can pass 720p / 1080i just fine. You just can't upconvert SD DVD's via component(HDCP). I think the only player that will let you do that is the Oppo, but you'll need to do a special "FW" upgrade.
  • rtart
    rtart Posts: 832
    edited September 2007
    I have a CRT projector, that will scan way past 1080p, but it's analog. HDMI won't work, because of HDCP. I use component outputs on my HD DVD player, Blu Ray player and HD Tivo to feed a DVDO VP30 scaler. The VP30 will transcode component to RGB so I can feed my PJ. Works great! I have a Panny RP82 modded with an SDI output that feeds the scaler's SDI input for SD DVDs.

You are correct, however, that the HD DVD and BD players that will upconvert SD discs will only pass the signal through HDMI.

In addition, the HD or BD discs have to be "allowed' to pass HD signal via component by the studio releasing the disc. The studios have all agreed to "allow" analog HD signals from their titles until at least 2010.

Notice I put "allowed" in quotes. It REALLY pisses me off that the lawyers have insisted on copy protection schemes that have caused so many technical problems. DHCP has made HDMI's implementation a nightmare. I'm OK with studios protecting their intellectual property rights. Just come up with a system that 1) works, and 2) allows me to use the gear I already own until I'm ready to scrap it.
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L-C-R, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 705 rears
    Polk LSiM 702s x 4 on the Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Emotiva XPA11 Gen 3
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS2000/NX7 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited September 2007
    I met the man who co-invented the HDMI interface ( http://www.radiient.com/The-Team ) Jano Banks, when I had to take my Radiient switcher in for a firmware upgrade to handshake with my new Plasma . They had to introduce a 10 millisecond delay to the switcher because the Panasonic Plasma needed that extra time for the HDCP handshake ( Worst offender was my HTPC...It has an HDMI output video card ) . After that , the switcher worked flawlessly with my Plasma and every HDMI component :)

That handshaking delay is supposed to be standard to the interface of the product...but a lot of manufacturers are deviating from it and causing numerous problems ( My Panny Plasma included ) Luckily my switcher was high end enough ( I LOVE it...havent had a single HDMI issue since its installation after the adjustment...even my H20 sat box would not handshake with the Plasma correctly once in a great while ) to incorporate an RS232 port for firmware updates. So the interface is solid ( Even though I told him the physical plug was a weak piece of junk and he should take some lashes with an HDMI cable for it ) ...it is more manufacturers not sticking with standards that is the main cause of the problem.
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club