running two amps in mono

tom t
tom t Posts: 543
edited August 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
guys, a question here... if i run two stereo amps in mono. the sub outputs-left and right. do i -y- off the left and run both to the left amp and the same for the right. -y- off the right outputs to the right amp. makes sence to me??. im assuming you have to use both left and right inputs on the amp when bridging to mono. thanks
Post edited by tom t on

Comments

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited August 2007
    Depends on the amplifier. Some do mono with a Left input only, some with Right only, and others need both inputs. What kind of amp is it? Doesn't it say in the instructions?
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • tom t
    edited August 2007
    i dident get that far yet,im just thinking ahead for when my brother get here this weekond. i like to have all the wireing figured out in my head. i know he has two hifoncs 200wpc units, new units he picked up about 2 years ago. we are going to bridge them. he says they will then make 1000watts each??. i will belive that when i see the manual. no sence guessing here then intil i see if i need both inputs or just one. one input would be real simple. thanks for the input
  • tom t
    edited August 2007
    i was just figuring if im usuin one amp for the left sub and the other for the right sub, if i need both inputs on the amp,i might as well run the left channel -y- to the left amp and ths same for the right,no??
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited August 2007
    It wouldn't hurt to have the parts around just in case...plus, you can always return them if you have to buy them in advance. It will be one of the 3 ways so no biggie. Also, if there is an amp on each woofer, are the woofers divided in the box? The reason I ask is that if they aren't, it would be best to "voltage match" the amplifiers that way one woofer isn't fighting the other if one amp is a tad "hotter" than the other. If they are in divided cabinets, it won't be a dilemma and you can get it close by eyeballing where the gains are set. Hope that helps....
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • tom t
    edited August 2007
    yes, its a dual 12 inch box with two chambers. a sealed box using lanzar subs. thats the idea, an amp on each sub. we have a bunch of stuff from other projects, plenty of spare stuff. whats beat is his car,a 2002 impala that need the special harness for the door chine to still work. its tied in with the radio harness. ever hear of something so stupid. a little evtrs work, but i will do it,done it befour. thanks avguytx for the input