Bose 901 Series II question

Options
rcs
rcs Posts: 21
edited October 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Forgive me for the non-Polk content, but I just have to ask...

I saw these speakers on the local Craigslist about a month ago; no takers, obviously, as they've just now popped up on eBay. He's describing them as "901s with RARE wood fronts." I'm only familiar with newer 901s (never owned a pair) and I was under the impression that the flat face pointed to the rear.

In other words, has this guy had the speakers set up BACKWARDS for who-knows-how-long?
--
Primary: SDA-SRS 2 (front), CS-350LS (center), RT35i (sides)
Secondary: RT-16

Fondly remembered: SDA-1Bs (1987-1991)
Post edited by rcs on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2007
    Options
    No, the flat area faces the front, and has only 1 driver whereas the rear (reflected section) has 8.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited August 2007
    Options
    That would typically be the right direction because even in the newer versions, the 8 drivers fire to the rear and the single driver side fires to the front. I'm no Bose expert but that I remember for sure. 1 direct driver and 8 reflecting. I (admittedly) have a pair of the 901 Series IV's sitting in there original boxes in my garage with the original EQ. One of these days I'm going to get them out, hook them up, and realize how much more I love my SDA's! :D I'm sure someone out there (not in here, I mean) will buy them after I clean up the cabinets some and get them listed. Then, that money can go towards mo' betta toys!
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • avguytx
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Dammit Russ....beat me by 3 minutes! If I wasn't typing so much crap, I woulda been ok.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited August 2007
    Options
    The problem with the 901's is they need solid walls to sound there best (ie concrete). They depend greatly on sonic reflections otherwise they sound cheap. JMO
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2007
    Options
    The Bose 901 is a complete mess.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    The Bose 901 is a complete mess.

Even so, its the best thing bose ever made... :D
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I thought their older 601 1980's were easier to place and sounded better.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2007
    Options
    madmax wrote: »
    Even so, its the best thing bose ever made... :D
    madmax

That's probably right :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Actually the Bose 801 commercial series was the best speaker Bose made. These were basically a 901, with better drivers. They had the angled panels of four drivers each face forward, with a rear firing mid/woofer. I had a pair of these, along with a sub-woofer box that I built, and three Crown amps and a Rane cross-over that I used as a party system during my college days. This system actually had amazing SQ for a party system. I remember that Golden Country by REO Speedwagon sounded really good on this system :eek:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Gary Batson
    Gary Batson Posts: 124
    edited August 2007
    Options
    avguytx wrote: »
    That would typically be the right direction because even in the newer versions, the 8 drivers fire to the rear and the single driver side fires to the front. I'm no Bose expert but that I remember for sure. 1 direct driver and 8 reflecting. I (admittedly) have a pair of the 901 Series IV's sitting in there original boxes in my garage with the original EQ. One of these days I'm going to get them out, hook them up, and realize how much more I love my SDA's! :D I'm sure someone out there (not in here, I mean) will buy them after I clean up the cabinets some and get them listed. Then, that money can go towards mo' betta toys!

I have a pair of 901 series IV I bought in fall 1981. The foam surrounds are long gone man. :cool:
  • avguytx
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Yeah, I may have to replace all the surrounds after I hook them up and give them a little juice. Oh well. 18 surround replacements should take how long? Sigh....
  • Gary Batson
    Gary Batson Posts: 124
    edited August 2007
    Options
    avguytx wrote: »
    Yeah, I may have to replace all the surrounds after I hook them up and give them a little juice. Oh well. 18 surround replacements should take how long? Sigh....

Hey,, It's been a long time but I loved mine. They suffered smoke damage in a house fire in '83. Still worked. Just looked bad. That's when I bought my SDA 1's. VERY DIFFERENT SPEAKERS BY FAR.
  • avguytx
    edited August 2007
    Options
    There's no way they'd ever replace my 1C's or SRS2's...hell, even the Monitor 10B's for that matter! But it will be a project and experience to chalk up before they move on.
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Phil Dawson
    Phil Dawson Posts: 288
    edited September 2007
    Options
    No highs, no lows, must be Bose
    Enjoy, Phil
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I have the series V with original electronic box. They are fun to play with. First thing to go when I start selling speakers though... :)
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • ka7niq
    ka7niq Posts: 577
    edited October 2007
    Options
    :)
    madmax wrote: »
    I have the series V with original electronic box. They are fun to play with. First thing to go when I start selling speakers though... :)
    They are very room dependant.
    Anyone remember the Bose 901's with the dedicated Bose receiver ?
    It allowed spatial control.
    One could adjust the ratio of reflect to direct sound.

I HAVE heard 901's sound "decent" a few times, not many
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Good Advice but the post is over a month old.
  • ka7niq
    edited October 2007
    Options
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited October 2007
    Options
    No prob dude, I have done it myself. I get searching and before you know it oops!

:D
  • ka7niq
    edited October 2007
    Options
    yeah, I probably need a Xanax drip sometimes :eek:
    That's what happened, forum was dead, so i went searching.
    Forgot I was in an old thread, responded :)
    Funny now that I look at it :)