ceiling textures

thejck
thejck Posts: 849
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
You guys have any recommendation for ceiling textures wih pics maybe for parts of my house.

i have drywall ceilings and used to have nasty popcorn on them. i have scrapped it down in all the bedrooms and went with the flat smooth approach. I like it a lot but under certain light conditions you can see dimples and bumps even after all the trouble of trying to get it smooth and even.

currently i am working on the living room which I am going to set up my HT in since I dont have anyone come visit me to justify having a room that is not used. I might be able to pull of the flat approach in there as well.
the problem is going to be the big family + kitchen combined room. i am afraid that once I pull the popcorn off there it wont look good enough to get it flat. since its bigger and better chances of seeing defets.

you guys have any suggestions. that i can look at.
Post edited by thejck on

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited August 2007
    that's why they use "popcorn" to hide seams and nail pops.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2007
    I had all my ceiling scrapped, retextured and painted a month ago. I went with a knock-down style of texture. I'll try and snap a pic later today for ya.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2007
    I too would also recommend a knock-down style of ceiling redo.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• thejck
    edited August 2007
    you guys had someone else do it for you?? do you remember how they did it.
    I would like to do it myself if possible. i am fairly handy
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited August 2007
    I thought about going flat until some friends tried it and ran into the same nagging problems. They ended up going back with popcorn. We found it was especially hard in larger rooms with lots of windows.

Also found that recessed lighting REALLY helps hide ceiling blemishes since they shine down and illuminate the floor instead of raking across the ceiling. The ambiance is also quite nice. Good luck.

bamadude
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited August 2007
    Our house has a swirled drywall textured ceiling, which is a pretty common look around these parts. Looks great and is very durable. My Dad is a drywaller and while i'm not *nearly* as good as he is, I have a fair bit of proficiency with drywall. That being said, I would not tackle such a ceiling project myself. It's a skill that requires years of honing to truly produce professional results.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2007
    Popcorn is for the birds.

Knock down (skip trowel is what they call it here) is my choice. Orange Peel and Slap Brush are good alternatives.

http://www.drywallschool.com/textures.htm
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited August 2007
    +1000 popcorn s*cks
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • thejck
    edited August 2007
    i dont like popcorn. its a terror to keep cleaning. behr makes a texture paint that you can use with a thick nap roller to get a texture on there has anyone tried that
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    You have a world of options to look at. What direction you want to head toward is up to you. There is a plethora of different textures available, some expensive, some low cost, some that look like ****, and others that are eye candy. You still have the option to go flat without breaking your bank or your back.

If you do choose to go flat, most of the hard work is done and most of the "unexpected" issues have already been bypassed. The thing about going flat after a builder has applied the popcorn is that you are nine times out of ten left with a level three finish [level 5 being perfectly flat and consistent] that will usually, not always, but usually leave a "hump" at the tail end of butted, non-tapered ends of the sheetrock which will be staggered in various areas throughout the ceiling. Also with a popcorn application texture, the builder knows that he can get away with less than perfect framing because the popcorn's application will allow the builder to be less critical. Removal of the popcorn might reveal these things once gone. Is this what you are noticing? Removing the pits and dimples can be very easy if that is all it is.

If you are interested in having the flat ceiling, LMK and I'll throw out some options for you. A budget give or take 100 smackers would help as well.

However, if you are dead set on texturing, there are plenty of textures out there that will help to drown some of the irregularities out, both machine applied and manually applied. The most popular ones have already been mentioned. There are even multi colored layers of texture that you can entertain if it strikes your fancy. We can get into textures later if you decide that you do not want to go the flat route.

Keep in mind also that textures are a lot harder to match perfectly later down the road [from leaks, severe scratches, light fixture change outs etc.].
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited August 2007
    I believe what I have now is "sandswirl", which I like very much.
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2007
    you guys had someone else do it for you?? do you remember how they did it.
    I would like to do it myself if possible. i am fairly handy

I paid a total of $1380 which coverd demo to final painting for 1,100sf. We moved out of the house for 3 days while the work was done. It's WAY to messy to try and do while living in the house and WAY to big a PITA to do it one room at a time. Again, it is a HUGE mess.

Our house was fully masked off from ceiling to floor, all the popcorn was removed. The kitchen ceiling was refloated, twice, with a smooth coat. Every joint in the ceiling was retaped, mudded and sanded. The knock-dwon was applied and then the ceiling was roll primered. The final coat of paint was sprayed, we went with an off-white flat paint thoughout.

This is one home inprovement project I would never do myself, never. It's too much work, too messy and it's all over your head. No thanks, I'll pay the pros. Plus, I think I got a great deal to boot.
    If...
  • treitz3
    edited August 2007
    You are my kind of customer!:D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • thejck
    edited August 2007
    see the guy who i bought the house from i belive built it in the 80's he was a total **** and I cant belive some of the **** that he did. i probably will **** about it here sometime when i feel up to it.

the popcorn was sprayed on and never looked like it was paitied over. so it was peeling hence all this work. when i scraped it down it came out clean. i mean i pretty much took one swipe with a scrapper and it went down to drywall paper back.

i went through and filled in all the dimples from the nails and I had to actully put some screws in on a board that was sagging ever so slightly.

it looks about 90 % great. the only issue is a couple of places where two of the 12 foot drywall sheets butt together along the long edge shows a litlle buckling of the drywall tape. i went ahead and primed it and will see what it looks like tommorow. if its acceptable I will just go ahed and paint and leave it like there.

the problem is when i get to the big family room/kitchen. since its bigger i feel that there is a better chance to being able to see the defects because of the smaller angle that it can be looked at.

plus when i look at it i see some spots where the dum **** might have used a can of spray on popcorn which would be a lot harder to scrape off.
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    You are my kind of customer!:D

Who? Me? If so, explain.
    If...
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2007
    Ya you I think, because you moved out got out the way of the men working. Where not there ****'n about the noise / dust or whatever.

You're golden :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• treitz3
    edited August 2007
    thejck wrote: »
    ....the only issue is a couple of places where two of the 12 foot drywall sheets butt together along the long edge shows a little buckling of the drywall tape.
    Long side, huh? Re-secure the sheetrock [to the studs] completely to where it doesn't move whatsoever. If the SR has bowed, stop and provide a photograph. There may be a way to save the existing SR.

When that is completed, LMK.