Whimper whimper

dudeinaroom
dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
I miss my Adcoms (sob sob cry cry). The Denon does okay, but not as good as the Adcoms. I think next time around I'm going to go tubes, just have to find some thing that is common ground, 4 ohm stable, and at least 10 watt a side. I know, I'll tear apart the old console stereo I have in storage and use the amp from that(as smoke wafts from it)
Post edited by dudeinaroom on

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited August 2007
    Just remember: it gets better.

It ALWAYS gets better .... if you let it.

And have this attitude, as displayed by Lt. Dan (of FG):

http://www.gotwavs.com/0095461785/WAVS/Movies/Forrest_Gump/hewasmad.wav

"You call THIS a storm ?" and "You'll NEVER sink this boat !".

:)
    Sal Palooza
  • dudeinaroom
    edited September 2007
    The wife had to take the oldest for a Dentist appointment today, so I got a chance to really listen to my setup, and all I can say is wow, this Denon is a piece of crap. The resolution is gone, their is no detail. I used to be able to tell that the strings of an acoustic guitar were vibrating now its just a sustained sound.The center image is gone, none to speak of, the singer now spreads all the way across the sound stage. And with darker music that had low driving overtones, it's just a subdued mud of non-inspiring bass. The midrange is not too bad, but it is no longer intimate. I've been keeping my eyes open for a tube integrated at garage sales that I could "steal". I'm also kicking around the idea of building a class A sand amp form an old Onkyo that I have(transistors, not mosfets). Oh well, I guess I just won't enjoy stereo for a while. Man Ignorance is bliss, why did I have to join this forum I was happy with my old technics, but no, I had to buy that adcom amp, and pick up that adcom pre amp, then loose them to REALLY appreciate them.

Sorry for the rant, but hey it's my thread

later,
    dude
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2007
    dude, why did you lose the Adcom amp? sold it or what?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dudeinaroom
    edited September 2007
    I sold them because of financial situations. I really did not want to, but had to.
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited September 2007
    Not that it matters...
    what denon is it?
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • dudeinaroom
    edited September 2007
    AVR-785 which is the silver version of the 1905 yeah, I know I know it's not top of the line
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2007
    I sold them because of financial situations. I really did not want to, but had to.

ahh ok.. well, that happens some times.. hope you get it back at some future date. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dudeinaroom
    edited September 2007
    nah, not to worried about next time around will be a notch or two up. would really like to get some tubes behind my SDA's(< one thing I will not sell). Would like to see...er...hear what the magic/fuss is all about. Just not to sure on how much I will like the low end. I love bass in any form be it techno, or symphonic, slapped, plucked, bowed or strummed, it's got to be bottomless, tight, authoritative and smooth. I also like precise imaging which the Denon does not have. Midrange I like smooth and natural, Treble needs to be detailed and neutral to slightly bright. We will see what will come when the time comes.

Later,
    dude
  • dudeinaroom
    edited September 2007
    I'm drooling, I think this is sexy and might work well for the start of a new 2ch rig
    Integrated
    or
    pre and this amp

or a combo of th e inergrated, with the pre for source selection
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited September 2007
    Thing to remember about tubes -

I found even with just a tube cdp and a tube pre -

If I have both tubes running at the same time... I lose ALOT of detail.

But if I run the CDP analog and the pre tube -- its a nice mix of both...

Just a FWIW
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited September 2007
    Thing to remember about tubes -

I found even with just a tube cdp and a tube pre -

If I have both tubes running at the same time... I lose ALOT of detail.

But if I run the CDP analog and the pre tube -- its a nice mix of both...

Just a FWIW

Isn't the CDP analog the tube output? Or do you have two outputs on your CDP, one for tube and one for solid state?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,574
    edited September 2007
    I have three outputs -

Digital, Analog, Tube
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.