moving van recommendations

jflail2
jflail2 Posts: 2,868
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Any particular preferences for a rental van? Uhaul versus Budget versus Ryder versus Penske maybe?

We'll finally be moving to NC in a few weeks, and wanted to see if anyone had particularly good or bad experiences with any of the above.

I've heard the most good word of mouth reviews about Penske, but wanted to see what you guys thought as well.
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
Post edited by jflail2 on

Comments

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited August 2007
    Bueller......

No good or bad experiences at all?
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    Anyone but U-Haul. If you go U-Haul, you have about a 25% chance of things just working out, a 25% chance of getting a truck made when Eisenhower was in the White House, and a 50% chance of some ridiculous mixup (based on both personal experience and second-hand stories).

Myself and my family, using U-Haul, have gotten :
    - A truck from the 70's that was a standard with NO power steering. Try turning a 23 foot truck in the city while shifting with no power steering.
    - Someone not even show up to work at one place, so we couldn't get the truck. They had sent us to this place despite it being twice as far as a closer one; when, after waiting an hour for someone to show up, we called corporate (3 times), they finally told us "oh, we have a truck at the closer location, just go there."
    - Etc.

Don't use U-Haul. I just had a great experience with Budget, and they were actually cheaper (higher "initial" cost, but less per mile, so it worked out). Also had a good experience with Penske recently.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    How are the price of those PODS things? Depending on how much stuff you have getting one of those containers picked up and dropped off at your new home might be an easy option?

I know everyone that moves in around here uses those PODS anywhere from 1 to 3 of them.
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited August 2007
    do not go uhaul.
    just had an awful moving experience. was told i would pickup the truck in town... well pickup day came and we ended up having to drive 45 miles to get the truck.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited August 2007
    Another vote against U-Haul with a story similar to bobman's, if needed.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited August 2007
    I am using Budget for my move to NC this weekend. I got a good price for the truck and the car carrier so i can tow my car. I am keeping the truck for a week as i can not move into my new place untill the 7th. I will let you know how it works out.
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,031
    edited August 2007
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    I am using Budget for my move to NC this weekend. I got a good price for the truck and the car carrier so i can tow my car. I am keeping the truck for a week as i can not move into my new place untill the 7th. I will let you know how it works out.

I moved twice and all went with Budget's trucks. Don't know anything about UHaul, but my recommendation is to Budget.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited September 2007
    Well I did the first part of my move this weekend with a budget truck and after this experience I will never rent from them again. I will start a thread on this explaining the full story.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2007
    Best truck rentals come with Moving Men!

Other then that stay away from U-Haul, bad old trucks... I be surprise if you didn't breakdown on the way with an U-Haul truck.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma