Sending cheque for goods?

Midnite Mick
Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Is anyone comfortable sending a cheque in exchange for goods even if it is for a small amount. I am looking to buy a "tweak" off of somebody that has all positive feedback (a lot...30 in the last couple of years) but he does not have a paypal account. Seems weird to me that someone that has this many transactions in such a short period of time does not have paypal. I am not concerned about the money but just not sure about throwing my account number out there to just anybody.

Should I have any concerns?

Thanks,
Mike
Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
Consonance cd120T
Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
Post edited by Midnite Mick on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2007
    I'm about to do the same, but for $850, ugg.

Seems that some people, especially older, are just set in their ways.

I also know a few people who've had a bad experience with paypal and refuse to use it anymore.

As for my seller, he's only a 2.5 hour drive, so if he burns me, I'll have no problem paying him a visit. Plus I doubt he'll want to mess up his nice rating on the gon.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2007
    I don't have a problem sending personal checks, as long as there's good/long feedback.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited August 2007
    I have done it and no one has burnt me.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    Send a money order.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited August 2007
    You could always get a free checking account and just use it for transactions like this. Keep the amount in it low (close to zero) and then deposit what you need to cover the check when you write one.

Just a thought.

Michael

Edit - since you will have to wait for the check to clear anyway, you could always send a cashiers check from a bank....
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited August 2007
    I like the MO idea myself.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Midnite Mick
    edited August 2007
    Sent the MO this evening.

Thanks everybody,
    Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2007
    Just a thought although I know you are in Canada. There is always recourse when using a US postal money order for goods. If the receiver of the postal mo does a burn job, that constitues mail fraud and the PO will investigate it just like the FBI does. I would rather have that option than paypal. I always feel comfortable sending or receiving postal mo's. I only accept checks from members of this forum that I know and trust.
  • Midnite Mick
    edited August 2007
    hmmm, not aware if this is also the case up here.

I have a friend that works for Canada Post. I will ask him.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2007
    hmmm, not aware if this is also the case up here.

I have a friend that works for Canada Post. I will ask him.

Thanks,
    Mike

IIRC, mail fraud down here is a felony and ask anyone who has a felony on their record no matter how trivial, it sticks to like stink on a pig.