Daughter and MP3 player

daboyz
daboyz Posts: 5,207
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Putting this one in all your hands. First day of school and my 12 year old got her SanDisk Sansa e250 stolen from her backpack.:( :mad: Talking to the school or the bus company will be a colossal waste of time so do I:

1: Buy her a new one and tell her to be more careful

2: Buy her a new one for home and a cheaper one for school

3: Tell her to save money to get her own

4: Do nothing

It's too bad there are kids out there whose parents haven't taught them right from wrong but I suppose this isn't a new subject. I still don't officially know because she's afraid to tell me.

Thanks, Dave
Post edited by daboyz on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    Number 3 [Hey, I like the number:D ]

What the hell does she need one of those in school for anyway?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2007
    Good point. At 18 - 25 it's ridiculous how many kids walk around my community college wearing earbuds. At 12?? She (in my humble opinion) shouldn't be using one at all except on a road trip.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • daboyz
    edited August 2007
    35-40 min. bus trip 1 way
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited August 2007
    #3 - I don't think this is a "need," it's more of a "want."
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2007
    I can see why for a long commute like that. But I still think socialization and actually reading (either for fun or class) should come first. I mean, it won't be too long before the bus ride is the ONLY place she does her homework. ;)
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • daboyz
    edited August 2007
    Straight "A" student. I have never had to worry about that. Does anyone know where to pick up refurbs or had any experience?
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited August 2007
    I'd probably get her another one after a couple of weeks of sweating, and tell her this is it.

I'd do an I-pod shuffle for 50 bucks.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=EC0F3C63&node=home/specialdeals/ipod
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited August 2007
    Check overstock.com
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited August 2007
    That little shuffle is pretty sweet.....The one I bought my mom a few months back is now mine....:D

She liked the old shuffle better...I guess she has a problems with the clip on the new one....:confused:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2007
    Go ahead with 1, and stress 3 is the option that will follow should it happen again.

A side note on the Shuffle (have two in house), it has programmable volume control built into the software so she CAN'T turn it up too loud.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    Tell her to read a book! Giving a kid a piece of gear like that is just asking for trouble. The second someone spots it & wants it, it is going to be stolen again.

Being surrounded by bullies is just a fact of life when you go to school, even when you don't have some fancy piece of gear. So that gear is just asking for trouble.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2007
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Go ahead with 1, and stress 3 is the option that will follow should it happen again.

A side note on the Shuffle (have two in house), it has programmable volume control built into the software so she CAN'T turn it up too loud.

Cheers,
    Russ

I agree with this. Kids arent stupid. She knows she needs to be more careful now and she obviously feels horrible about it because she hasnt even told you yet. Maybe just tell her to put it in another pocket instead of the small ones so it wont be as easy to find.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2007
    She is a good kid, makes good grades, has a good reason for having one (the long bus ride) and other than possibly not being careful enough, she lost her MP3 player through no fault of her own.

I would replace the player (and have done similar thing for my daughters who fit the description of your daughter).

However, there should be a price to pay. Some sort of chore or activity that is not part of her nomal routine. I tried to make it some sort of charitable task that would benefit someone else...like offering to help an elderly person clean up their yard or help with the younger kids in the pre-school at our church. Something that made them earn the replacement of the lost item (even adults have to pay for replacement insurance - another lesson learned) and gave them a sense of helping others. Just a thought.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited August 2007
    shack wrote: »
    However, there should be a price to pay. Some sort of chore or activity that is not part of her nomal routine. I tried to make it some sort of charitable task that would benefit someone else...like offering to help an elderly person clean up their yard or help with the younger kids in the pre-school at our church. Something that made them earn the replacement of the lost item (even adults have to pay for replacement insurance - another lesson learned) and gave them a sense of helping others. Just a thought.

Fantastic idea Shack !
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited August 2007
    Agreed as well. Excellent idea Shack. Spoken from real life experience.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2007
    If you opt to get her a new one...permanently mark it.

As far as notifying the school...hell yes! Crap like this needs to be reported. No you may never see it again, but the school needs to be made aware of the theft.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    I started writing a reply to this last night but apparently I must have fallen asleep and closed it.

Definately can't go with option 3, she is only 12. However, like others have stated there are plenty of chores she can do or something charitable for someone else.

I definately wouldn't just buy another one and hand it to her, that doesn't teach you a thing and that's how the majority of my friends were brought up and still are(now at 22 years old). Avoid the buy this and hand off mentality if you can.
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited August 2007
    number 3. kids will loose out on learning from their interaction with friends and people around them if they walk around with their ears blocked.
    what kind of music does she listen too at 12. girls singing about thier hearts being broken or tears that are shed or sleeping with guys. now get her some classical music. heard they actully make you smarter.

if the player got stolen and it was not her fault dont make it out like a punishment. cause it was not her fault. but make it out as a learning experience.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited August 2007
    I would replace it for her but I'm a softy when it comes to girls. If she lost it or broke it, I would make her work it off but it was stolen. I would also tell her this is a one time deal.A "you know what can happen so you need to be responsable for your things" speech may be in order.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • irishaz
    irishaz Posts: 161
    edited August 2007
    FWIW, I have three twelve year olds - yes, triplets. It has been my experience that they place very little value on things that they are given and much more on things that they earn. A sense of accomplishment and pride of ownership are extremely important things to cultivate. I would provide my kids opportunities to earn the money (extra chores, etc.) and congratulate them when they reached their goal.
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2007
    Very good idea! By the time she has earned the money to be able to get it again, she will never let it leave her sight & also learns the value of working for what she wants!

irishaz wrote: »
    FWIW, I have three twelve year olds - yes, triplets. It has been my experience that they place very little value on things that they are given and much more on things that they earn. A sense of accomplishment and pride of ownership are extremely important things to cultivate. I would provide my kids opportunities to earn the money (extra chores, etc.) and congratulate them when they reached their goal.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • audiobliss
    edited August 2007
    I guess I'm just gonna be a mean 'ol pop, but I still would rather her talk with other kids and/or read a book (even just for fun).
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited August 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    I guess I'm just gonna be a mean 'ol pop, but I still would rather her talk with other kids and/or read a book (even just for fun).

+1 on that. I used to have an hour bus ride one way when I was in school. If you take something to school it will get stolen. Besides some of the best times I had on the in school was on the bus, and if I had electronics in my ears, I would have missed a lot of fun.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    ....Besides some of the best times I had on the in school was on the bus....
    Boy oh boy that statement brought back a lot of good memories! :D:):D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »

After thinking about this, I'd much rather have my daughter keeping to herself listening to her mp3 player...
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited August 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »

+2 on this, tons of memories on the bus to and from school. From water gun fights to throwing paper balls. Never got caught, doing either. Awesome fun. And on other days, it was good sleep on the way home.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited August 2007
    I'd buy her a new one. I'd keep buying her new ones as long as her grades are good. Especially straight A's. Of course, I'd educate her on keeping the equipment safe from theft and the like.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    zip tie it to her backpack so no little bully can steal it
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2007
    Have her work & buy another one for herself, and she will educate herself REAL quickly about keeping it safe since she actually had to work to get it.
    bdaley6509 wrote: »
    I'd buy her a new one. I'd keep buying her new ones as long as her grades are good. Especially straight A's. Of course, I'd educate her on keeping the equipment safe from theft and the like.
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited August 2007
    daboyz wrote: »
    Putting this one in all your hands. First day of school and my 12 year old got her SanDisk Sansa e250 stolen from her backpack.:( :mad: Talking to the school or the bus company will be a colossal waste of time so do I:

1: Buy her a new one and tell her to be more careful

2: Buy her a new one for home and a cheaper one for school

3: Tell her to save money to get her own

4: Do nothing

It's too bad there are kids out there whose parents haven't taught them right from wrong but I suppose this isn't a new subject. I still don't officially know because she's afraid to tell me.

Thanks, Dave

I think option 3 is your best bet, buying something with her own money will teach her to keep a better eye on it.
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction