Best computer sound card for Audio??

engtaz
engtaz Posts: 7,663
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Like some opinions about which sound card is the best for music server. More about audio then gaming.

Thanks
engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
Post edited by engtaz on

Comments

• Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited August 2007
    creative labs makes some nice ones, last I checked.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2007
    Check out the head-fi forums. They have extensive reviews and modding info for sound cards.
  • engtaz
    edited August 2007
    linky please
    engtaz

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited August 2007
    I've never been a big fan of Sound Blaster for good quality audio. However, they've really stepped it up with their X-Fi series. I bought the X-Fi Music version and it's great. Make sure you get the one that's around $100 or so, don't get the little $60 card.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited August 2007
    Get the XtremeMusic, not the XtremeAudio.. You can always tell the difference by looking at the size of the card.

I'm sure there are better options out there, but these cards are really hard to beat.
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited August 2007
    use the chaintech av-710 with optical out to a dac. you cant go wrong. you can do bit perfect output from it and then you save your money for a good dac.the card is only 25 bucks. ask H9 thats what he has. thats what i am working on too.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    I’ve used the SB Pro series for sometime. The one that comes with an extra add on that installs in a drive slot. It may not be much any more but it had an AC3 jack in the front for sometime, back when even ac3 was kind of rare. I used it to connect to my Onkyo to play music. I've had just about every SB card since they first started making them with no problems at all. Love them.
    Even on my gamming machine right now I have the X-Fi pro with ac3 to my Logitech 5.1 channel DTs/DD THX computer speakers. Never fails.

I do think there will be a paradigm shift soon as computer go hdmi (which I feel they have been slacking on).

When SB comes out with a 1.3 HDMI sound connection, Ill jusmp on it for HTPC.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited August 2007
    What is the budget?

Have you ever considered an external DAC?
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited August 2007
    M-audio audiophile series. The 2496 is $100 and the 196 is $200 but has better processing and balanced I/O
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • Music Joe
    Music Joe Posts: 459
    edited August 2007
    I'm in the same boat and have nodded off a few times reading the blizzard of info and soundcard shootouts over on head fi.

Read the E-MU 0404 External (AKM's) threads and see what you think.
    (in fact a quick check showed some new talk in 0404usb dac and vista....yay)

A lot over there seem to like the Trends micro as a usb converter.
  • engtaz
    edited August 2007
    Yes the question is firewire or pci versions?
    engtaz

• sophie
    sophie Posts: 511
    edited August 2007
    if you haven't built the computer yet then look at a mobo with digital out so you an use an external dac and not have to buy a separate sound card. i know foxconn has some with there am2 motherboards.
    Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
    Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited August 2007
    there are alot of mobo's with digital audio outputs. Some yoy just have to order a braket for the jacks, others ship it with the mobo.