BBQ Grills

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm looking at buying a propane grill, $400 I'd say is my max.

Are the Weber grills really that good? A couple people now have told me that I'm really just paying for the name, and that they're not really any better than the other stuff out there.

I'd be sacrificing some grilling space and other features to go with a Weber. I'm looking ath the Spirit Series (their entry level), specifically the E-310. That model is $400. Or for $400 I can get something along the lines of a Charbroils Commercial that's all steel, has four main burners, and a side burner.

I don't need the extras, and don't mind sacrificing those if I know I'm getting a better grill, but that's a key 'if'.

Any thoughts? Is Weber the Monster Cable of the grill industry, or is it really that much better than other stuff in the same price range?

I know I'm not going to get a top end grill for $400. I just wanna make sure that if I'm gonna spend that much money I'm getting the best I can get for it.
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited August 2007
    I got a Weber Genesis Silver for Christmas a few years back. You're right, feature for feature, you're paying more for the Weber than many other grills.

But, I have had ZERO issues and use it all the time. Has a tank gauge, which is handy, easy as hell to use, starts fast, burns even, gets hot, looks nice, cleans easy.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    All the Weber's I've come in contact with have been far better built than their competitors. Just more solid, more reliable. The price seems to be worth it. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, just a casual observation.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2007
    Don't make the mistake of buying one of those shiny, fancy all SS grills that you see at HD and Lowes for $600 or less (several unknown brands); though they are stainless steel and look well built, their burners are far from being good; I got one (can check the brand when I get home) and I hate how uneven heating is. If you are not careful you'll have a hamburger raw and the next burned. At least Weber has great, uniform burners.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • jamesguthrie
    jamesguthrie Posts: 39
    edited August 2007
    I've got a Weber Genesis Silver B and love it. It's a huge improvement over my last bbq, which was a Kenmore, I think (Sears, about $180).

The Weber was slightly more than I wanted to pay at the time, but it has been more than worth it. As the previous poster said, it's easy to clean, has an accurate tank gauge, and burns evenly.

One of the main features I was looking for in a bbq was stainless steel grate and heating elements. I had a porcelain grate in my last bbq and needed to replace it after a few years because the porcelain wore off and the metal underneath rusted.

Check out bbq.about.com. They have comprehensive reviews of grills under $500. Consumer reports is also very good for this sort of product.
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited August 2007
    The quality of parts being used is a concern on lesser models. Especially the quality of the SS. Weber grills use better SS and/or protective coatings on their metal!
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    Got my SS grill at Sam's club, I'm actually pretty happy with it for the sub $500 I paid.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited August 2007
    I've bought lesser brands over the years and they never hold up. My Dad has a 2nd Weber (Genesis) and these are the only 2 grills he's purchased in the past 15-18 years. He has a gas feed from the main line in the house and uses the grill year around. Not too sure about entry level Weber's but the Genesis series is excellent.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    I have no recommendations as to brands because outside I still cook like a caveman. Over an open flame.

I have, however cooked on many a grill and I thought that I should throw it out there that even though the SS grills look great, they blind your **** when the sun is beaming on them. Whenever you go to open the grill, you can't see what you are cooking because you've already been blinded by the light. At least that's what I've observed.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited August 2007
    Three words:

BIG GREEN EGG

(Yes it costs more up front, but you will never have to buy a grill OR smoker again in your or your grand children's lifetime and you get real smoke from real lump charcoal.)

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2007
    The BGE is nice, but isn't the answer for my needs. I'm in an apartment for the next year, so am in need for a gas grill, something easier and more convenient, and something that I'm actually allowed to use here. I do have a nice charcoal grill, but just can't use it here - that's why I'm not looking to spend a ton on a gas grill.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited August 2007
    Go over to BBQ galore. You cn see a bunch of good brands including theirs.
    It' s most likely sale time, too.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2007
    I'm going to head out to BBQ Galore today. That's the only place I haven't looked. I doubt they'll have anything in my price range, but I want to exhaust all my options before I buy something. Right now the Weber Spirit 310 is at the top of my price range and is on the top of my list, and it seems to get favorable reviews on amazon and other places on the interweb.

Two things I like about Weber from what I've read so far.

1 - You can upgrade parts of your grill, even their cheaper ones. So I could add on better cooking grates and what-not later on.
    2 - Everything I've read seems to indicate that they have good customer service, which in today's horrid service industry is becomming a bigger deal for me.

Thanks for all teh replies. I also found the thread that Sean started a while back, and alot of the comments in that were helpful as well.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited August 2007
    Pay the extra for the Weber, I cheaped out and bought a Charmglow which works fine but I am always wondering how much better my grilling experience could have been had I bought the Weber.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited August 2007
    Buy a Weber grill, they are solid grills. I have two Weber grills: a charcoal grill for 6 years and a gas for 2 years. The charcoal grill has been used many times, its even been to the beach numerous times and has no rust or anything. Just routine cleanings is all this thing needs.

The gas grill has also been flawless. I like the tank level feature.

Weber gas grills are easy to assemble. All the gas lines, burners, knobs, etc are put together already. I just has to put the grill casing, cabinet doors, and wheels together on mine:

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/gas/gg_gen_sa.aspx
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    My dad uses exclusively Ducane, only grill he will ever buy. Not sure how they rate on the scale but that's the only grill in our backyard.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited August 2007
    The Ducane is the higher-end Weber brand. I have a Weber, really like it, but would buy the Duane in a heart-beat if I had no other budget considerations.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2007
    I took a trip up to BBQ Galore this morning. They have some really nice stuff in there, and surprisingly not all of it is super high end. They talked a good game, and I was really impressed with their house brand Captain Cook grills. By the way, for anyone looking for a nice grill they're putting their 4 burner series on sale tomorrow for $499 down from 650.

However, after it was all said and done I ended up going with a Weber grill. The Spirit 310 was at the top of my price range, so that's what I went with. The Captain Cook may be a better grill, but I was really already sold on Weber when I walked in there.

I just got done spending an hour putting it together, two first impressions right out of the box.

1 - Weber can't write an instruction manual for ****. The parts list was wrong, all the instructions were basically pictures only (I'm not a visual person), and some of the steps were out of order/contradicted each other. Were I not a somewhat mechanically inclined person who usually just ignores the manual anyway and figrues it out on my own, this would have been a very frustrating install. If someone were to take the parts list at face value and try to walk through the steps exactly as illustrated and in the order presented, they wouldn't be able to get this thing together correctly.

2 - I'm very impressed with the engineering on this grill, at least from a construction standpoint. There are certain things that I always look for in a well engineered product, and I found those in this grill. Nothing major, but things like a design that forces you to put the thing together correctly, little notches and guides that only line up and work correctly if the whole thing is square, stuff like that. Alot of people would rather work with something that has some play and a little wiggle room to bend and whatnot in order to fit everything together, I usually prefer a more tightly engineered product (probably why I drive a Toyota), and was please with this grill in that respect.

Weber can't write a manual for ****, but it looks like they can build a good grill.

I'm gonna give it an official test tomorrow when i cook out.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited August 2007
    Weber all the way! I watched my parents go through a number of grills growing up, and then about 12 years ago Dad spent a little extra for a basic Weber (equivalent of the current genesis), and that grill still works perfectly. Lights on the first push. Heats evenly. Still looks new. Has NEVER replaced or repaired a single part.

I personally have had a pretty basic Weber, that seems to most closely resemble the current Spirit E-310, for over 4 years without a single problem.

IF I ever have to replace it, I highly doubt I will pick anything other than another Weber.

EDIT: BTW....Congrats! I can almost 100% guarantee that you are going to love that grill. Plus you will find it quite amusing when you go to friends house and watch them fight with their crappy, stylish, over-priced grills.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited August 2007
    BBQ Galore always has a good selection. I saw the Webers there,
    but went with a Captain Cook that was on sale(about 5 years ago).
    My only regret was buying 3 instead of 4 burners.
    A better grill helps a lot. Cheap ones just make you nuts.
    They heat poorly, and start falling apart within a year or two.
    BBQ Galore has the best selection of parts, too.
    Enjoy the bbq!!!!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    DaveMuell wrote: »
    The Ducane is the higher-end Weber brand. I have a Weber, really like it, but would buy the Duane in a heart-beat if I had no other budget considerations.

Pretty sure Ducane is it's own manfacturer....i just looked at it on their website.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited August 2007
    Pretty sure Ducane is it's own manfacturer....i just looked at it on their website.

This should clear up that mis-conception:

http://weber.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=fact_sheet
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    DaveMuell wrote: »
    This should clear up that mis-conception:

http://weber.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=fact_sheet

haha thanks.