Signed up for Netflix today. . .

AndyGwis
AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
After about 15 years of getting ripped off by Blockbuster and their insane late-fees, I decided to start renting movies from Movie Trading Company years ago. This worked well as they are very close to me, they let you rent movies for $4 with limited late fees, and if you like the movie, they will put the $4 towards the movie price AND give you the used price (so DVDs end up being like $17 rent-to-own).

But, the snag recently is that their HD-DVD titles aren't many, and they typically come out weeks after the DVD is released. I become very frustrated when I had to go home with 300 on regular DVD. . . VERY!

So, I got NetFlix this morning to take care of my HD-DVD needs. I only did 1 at a time, that way I won't feel guilty if I run out to rent/buy a movie from elsewhere. Also didn't hurt I got 2,000 free AA miles for signing up.

Impressions of Netflix? How long will I have to wait to get these HD-DVDs? Any problems with skipping discs? General thoughts?!?
Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
Post edited by AndyGwis on

Comments

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    I love Netflix! I use it for BR and HD DVD. I usually never have an issue with bad disks, some disks have finger marks that I just wash off.

In the area I live in, there is a Netfix warehouse about an hour away. If I turn a disk in on one day, I can expect a new disk in my mailbox a couple days later.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited August 2007
    I had been with Blockbuster online for a few years. I liked that I could return the online rentals for in-store rentals or games...plus a free coupon or 2 each month for another in-store rental..

But ever since I bought the Xbox HD addon, I wanted to start watching HD DVD movies...but it would take BB wayyy to long for them to send me any HD DVD movies..there was always a long wait for them..so i would just end up watching SD verson...which eventually pissed me off..plus I started car-pooling to work and I couldn't just stop off at the store and do exchanges as easily anymore..

So Sunday I signed up for a trial of Netflix..by Tuesday I had "300" and "Letters from Iwo Jima" in HD dvd in my mailbox....both of those movies still have a very long wait in my BB queue..so i cancelled BB

so we'll see if this is just a honeymoon thing...:D
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • AndyGwis
    edited August 2007
    nice! I went through the HD-DVD section and already have a bunch in my queue. Basically, if it's the HD-DVD version of a movie I wanted to see, or one I would like to see again in high def, I put it in there.

Quick question. . . . say I put "Hot Fuzz HD-DVD" at the top of my list and it has a "short wait" next to availability. Will the next available now movie in my queue ship, or will it wait to ship me Hot Fuzz since it's at the top of my list and I only have 1 at a time?

Also, can you buy a rental if you like it? How long does "short wait" typically mean? Do upcoming releases like Blades of Glory ship the day they come out if in your queue?
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • millerman 3732
    millerman 3732 Posts: 1,488
    edited August 2007
    I've been renting HD-DVD and BD since last April from netflixs. You can get older and catalog titles pretty much when ever you want but the new releases can be alittle tricky, if you can time to where you have a disc due to ship on monday and you have a new tittle releasing that week at the top of your que you can usally get it, but if it ends up that your disc is not shipping till say Wensday or Thursday you could be waiting a long time, I've had the HD-DVD version of 300 at the top of my que ever since it was released and it still says ''very long wait'' same with the Auqa Team Hunger Force movie, I hope that makes since. As far as how long it takes to get a movie it differ depending where you live for me is about a 4 day turn around if I send a movie back on Monday I can have another back by Thursday or Friday.
    Casey
    H/T: Epson 6500ub
    Sony UBP-X800
    Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD, CD)
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

TV Rig: Samsung 50'' 4k display
    Polk Signa-1 Surround bar
  • AndyGwis
    edited August 2007
    That's why I only opted for the cheap 8.99 1-movie plan. I figure I'll still run to Movie Trading or elsewhere to get those Tuesday releases I've been wanting to see. . . but can use Netflix to get HD-DVD versions of other / older stuff I want to watch, like Hot Fuzz.

Hopefully, 300 and ATHF make their way to you soon.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited August 2007
    My parents use netflix and they love it. i was thinking about signing up for it myself. Let me know what you think Andy.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    I'm considering jumping ship from BB online to NetFlix... BB has been blatantly ignoring my queue order for months now. Despite my top movies being 'available', I always end up getting something from halfway down my list. And my top movies aren't exactly hugely popular current hits, they're all classics and stuff.

It's tough to part with the in-store exchanges though. So often you want to watch something that just came out, or are with someone else who wants to watch a movie you don't have, so it's nice to have the option of trading in a movie and getting a free one on the spot.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited August 2007
    Wanted to add that my parents got movies the next day when they placed there orders. I guess the wharehouse was close by.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2007
    I love BB...though I don't rent HD or BR, so that might make a difference; I get movies 1 or 2 days after I exchange them at the store; I have 3 at a time, and I could watch 18 movies in a week if that was the only thing I had to do!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2007
    I love Netflix...
    Turnaround is two days tops. I don't know how they do it.
    And they have everything under the sun. No matter how obscure. Nearly two years, and I haven't had an issue with 'em yet.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • AndyGwis
    edited August 2007
    Hot Fuzz HD-DVD is already in "at home" status, so I guess the short wait was a very short wait :)

My Queue is stocked with HD-DVD titles, I'm so excited! I wouldn't even know how to navigate through their SD-DVD titles. Went through 320 or so HD-DVD titles and am already cross eyed.

Next after Hot Fuzz. . . Digital Video Essentials, which I've almost bought for $25 - $40 on numerous occassions. Now with Netflix, I can calibrate my system for pretty much nothing.
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited August 2007
    Jost so you know, the DVE will not ship with the filters. You can pick those up pretty cheap from a photography store usually.

I have used both and both have had rapid turnaround times, usually about two days. Netflix has a lot more variety than BB but I've found that with Netflix if you miss a popular new release on it's release date, it can be a very long time till you can get it. BB is usually much better with that, plus there's the in-store return.

Netflix is much quicker at getting the titles in their database also. As soon as it's released and sometimes before. BB can sometimes take a week or more after it's released to get iin their database
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • AndyGwis
    edited August 2007
    What the hell are the DVE "filters?"

I'm mainly looking to Netflix for the 2,000 free miles, and to have access to more HD-DVD titles, not necessarily for new releases so I should be okay.
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited August 2007
    The colored plastic filters used to adjust color balance.

I haven't seen the hd version though, maybe it doesn't use the filters still.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • AndyGwis
    edited August 2007
    Just read some of the reviews on NetFlix. Does seem like people expect the filters and instructions, without them the DVE is basically worthless (in their opinions).

Maybe I can get someone that owns the real version to email them to me so I can properly calibrate.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited August 2007
    Netflix is pretty good. Just wash up the HD DVD and Blu Ray discs before you play them.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    I use Netflix for my HD DVD's and regular DVD's, great service, never a problem, been a member for almost 3 years now.
  • bobman1235
    edited August 2007
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    Just read some of the reviews on NetFlix. Does seem like people expect the filters and instructions, without them the DVE is basically worthless (in their opinions).

Maybe I can get someone that owns the real version to email them to me so I can properly calibrate.

They're actual glasses that go on your head. I don't think they'd transmit well over email.
  • AndyGwis
    edited August 2007
    Just wash [them] up before you play [with] them.

This is my general approach to my balls as well. . .

that is, for golf balls I order used off ebay. After you wash them, they're usually very playable.
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited August 2007
    We've used Netflix for 6 years and liked the service. I only had one issue in which a DVD was lost in the mail. They didn't hassle me, just sent another one. Recently we've switched to BB Online, because there's a store 2 blocks away and the in-store return.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited August 2007
    Andy, your shipping location should be in Coppell if not closer so expect fast turn-around. I have their grandfathered 4-disc plan for $20 and I'm very happy, although I haven't had much time to watch movies lately.

Saved selections should end up at the bottom of your queue when their release date gets closer, just remember to move them up once they move to queue.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2007
    Netflix is awesome. My turnaround time is, say I put a disc in the mail on Monday, I'll have a new one on Wednesday. Its awesome. I am very happy with it. Out of over a hundred DVDs, I've only had problems with two. The CS is great. You tell them you got a broken disc, no problem, no questions asked. They send you a new one no hassle.

Also, recently I lost a DVD. So, I told them I lost it and paid for it. Well, about two weeks later I found it. I didn't tell them, but I sent it anyways, and they automatically credited by CC for the price I paid. Rad.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2007
    I just lost my first one...
    it's $20 right?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • krabby5
    edited August 2007
    AndyGwis wrote: »

yeah well...there aren't any instructions for the HD side anyways...that disc was a HUGE disapointment for me..I had no clue what I was doing..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2007
    it's $20 right?

Yeah, something like that.
  • krabby5
    edited August 2007
    jmwest1970 wrote: »
    We've used Netflix for 6 years and liked the service. I only had one issue in which a DVD was lost in the mail. They didn't hassle me, just sent another one. Recently we've switched to BB Online, because there's a store 2 blocks away and the in-store return.

you can no longer do unlimited in-store returns as of Sept 1...That's one of the reasons I left BB...plus the fact that I NEVER get HD dvds from them..
  • bobman1235
    edited August 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Also, recently I lost a DVD. So, I told them I lost it and paid for it. Well, about two weeks later I found it. I didn't tell them, but I sent it anyways, and they automatically credited by CC for the price I paid. Rad.

Now THAT'S amazing.
  • Sami
    edited August 2007
    it's $20 right?

Lost by you or USPS? I've never lost any myself but USPS has lost a dozen or so over the years, never had a problem with Netflix when I reported them lost in the mail (in which case you don't have to pay).
  • bobman1235
    edited August 2007
    A DOZEN? Who is your mailman, Newman from Seinfeld? Jebus. I've never had a single movie go "missing" due to USPS, and I've gotten a ridiculous amount over the years.
  • Sami
    edited August 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    A DOZEN? Who is your mailman, Newman from Seinfeld? Jebus. I've never had a single movie go "missing" due to USPS, and I've gotten a ridiculous amount over the years.

I once had all of the 4 discs I mailed back (same day) lost. No problem with Netflix when clicked on each one of them a week later and said "Lost in mail".

Member Since: August 2000 (and looks like the 4-disc plan went down to $18.22 :))

That's a lot of movies so dozen really isn't bad over 7 years and 5 different addresses.