Light At The End of the Tunnel HT Construction Thread...

13»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    You probably won't. These are usually found in multi-million dollar artsy-fartsy layouts. The price I would imagine is quite high and to my knowledge, only an interior designer who is IIDA certified would have access to the manufacturers. They get to look at all the cool stuff.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited August 2007
    FYI, they have a few builders down here in Texas that build metal framed homes to be "Tornado proof." Apparently they can withstand up to 140-150mph winds, so yeah it should be plenty strong.

I would agree on the tile floor. You can rip it up really easy and laying it down isn't that big of a deal either. My sister is not handy in the least bit and she managed to do it just fine, both vinyl and ceramic types. Remember that estimates not only give you some bargaining power, but depending on the questions you ask, they might give you enough information that you need to do it yourself, or at least ask treitz and go from there. Good luck!
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited September 2007
    Wingnut I think you mentioned that you were thinking of adding a closet for all you equipment at one end of the room. I have done that also in my HT room. This layout allows easy changes to the wirering to your system and hids all the equipment. I use a Infarred to RF convert for my remotes
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited September 2007
    bikezappa wrote: »
    I use a Infarred to RF convert for my remotes

How do you do this?
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited September 2007
    edbert wrote: »
    How do you do this?

Radio Shack and others sell them. There are two small units. Point the regular remote at the reciever and it converts the infarred signal to RF which can go though walls. The second unit must be placed in front of the electronics in a closet or other room and it converts the RF to infarred and controls the electronics. They are somewhat position sensitive but work nice. Cost from $25 on ebay or $50 new.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited October 2007
    Breathing some life back here as it seems it may be up sooner rather than later. I am scrapping all the previous plans including projector :( due to budget ( and my manic 2 channel spree :D )and I am leaving the layout pretty much as it was but I am going to run at least 2 more dedicated 20 amp lines .

The big difference I am thinking about (and seeking your feedback on) is I think I want to put all the gear in the same cabinet you see in my HT pics but BEHIND the seating area. I would control the equipment RF and I could install all my cables in the new wall that's being bulit and run them to the TV and speakers through the wall to the left.

Ahhh.... but what will the TV sit on you ask? Well I am glad you did because I was thinking of 'floating' it on a looong and sturdy shelf attached to the studs to give the illusion of a screen or a plasma etc. The cable plate would be behind it on the wall.

That would leave the front pretty open for my 2 channel rig placement.

Question One: thoughts?

Two: Can I just attach two sets of speaker cables to my R/L speakers? One for HT and one pair for two channel? Just have the other system off for either activity?

Oh and there will be 3 sets of French doors so there is a curtain budget as well.:p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007
    Are you using different amps for 2 channel and HT? This might be a problem.....if you accidentaly have both turned on at the same time this might be bad news.
    Why not use the same amp for the fronts? Does your pre have a HT by pass?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • wingnut4772
    edited October 2007
    HTrookie wrote: »
    Are you using different amps for 2 channel and HT? This might be a problem.....if you accidentaly have both turned on at the same time this might be bad news.
    Why not use the same amp for the fronts? Does your pre have a HT by pass?

I like the sound of the Parasound amp better for 2 channel . My pre does not have a bypass.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2007
    You could use the parasound for HT fronts also, and not use all the channels in the other amp; not having a bypass makes it difficult....
    I really have no idea if having a second amp (even if it's off) connected to the speakers will bring any problems to the amp that is running; there must be some kind of resistance there.
    Swapping wires is not a good idea either.
    You are not making this one easy....maybe some kind of switch box? I don't know; let's see what others have to say.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • wingnut4772
    edited October 2007
    HTrookie wrote: »
    You could use the parasound for HT fronts also, and not use all the channels in the other amp; not having a bypass makes it difficult....
    I really have no idea if having a second amp (even if it's off) connected to the speakers will bring any problems to the amp that is running; there must be some kind of resistance there.
    Swapping wires is not a good idea either.
    You are not making this one easy....maybe some kind of switch box? I don't know; let's see what others have to say.

Actually I would not mind using the Parasound amp for Ht also but my Center channel will not be matched unless I get another Parasound.....But then how do I hook up the separate gear? I may just need to get a pre with a pass through?

I need to get my thoughts together soon...
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2007
    Actually I would not mind using the Parasound amp for Ht also but my Center channel will not be matched unless I get another Parasound.....But then how do I hook up the separate gear? I may just need to get a pre with a pass through?

Just use the Parasound and forget about matching the center channel or getting another pre. You're making this too complicated.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • wingnut4772
    edited October 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Just use the Parasound and forget about matching the center channel or getting another pre. You're making this too complicated.

OK:o But how do I use it for both applications?

Edit: Splitter RCAs?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Early B.
    edited October 2007
    OK:o But how do I use it for both applications?

Edit: Splitter RCAs?

No splitter RCAs needed.

Here's the poor man's alternative to HT bypass:

The output on the pre goes to the Parasound; you'll need another set of RCA cables from the preouts on the receiver to one of the unused inputs on your pre (i.e., AUX). So when you want to watch a movie, you'll turn on the pre, switch it to AUX, and place the volume at the noon position (or wherever it works best after calibrating your HT system).

It's a couple of extra small steps involved in watching a movie, but it's free and you can use your front speakers/Parasound combo for HT and 2-channel. Best of both worlds.

I currently do this. I've also done this in the past with a integrated tube amp and my HT system was the best it ever sounded.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,621
    edited October 2007
    I do what Early B. does as well and it work's fine for the most part. What sucks is if you forget to turn the volume down on the pre when you are done with HT and you flip to 2 channel mode and the volume is at the 12 O'clock position and you hit play. I now use a Harmony remote to turn down the volume automaticaly when I am done with any multi-channel stuff.
  • wingnut4772
    edited October 2007
    Thanks:) It really will bug me that the center channel won't match though..they are very different sounding amps. Oh well, I will get over it I suppose.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Early B.
    edited October 2007
    Thanks:) It really will bug me that the center channel won't match though..they are very different sounding amps.

You'll hardly notice the difference, if at all.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2007
    Precisely. Just do it, Darla. I had an Outlaw mono for my center channel & the Parasound for my mains. I couldn't & wasn't listening to if the amps produced different sound. I was focused on the sound & the dialog being crisp & clear.

Forget about the damn mechanics & focus on the music & movies!:)
    Early B. wrote: »
    You'll hardly notice the difference, if at all.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2