Car problem

wodom1
wodom1 Posts: 1,054
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm hoping one of you car guys can help me out with a car problem I'm having: Yesterday morning I went to start my '02 Dodge Durango and the battery was dead. I didn't think too much of it and called for a jump. The tow truck arrives and give me a jump. The starter would turn, but the engine wouldn't catch unless I held that gas pedal down, and then it sounded like crap. A few minutes later I tried starting it on its own and the engine turned over, but while driving around the block, the tach would drop down to 200-300 RPM's as soon as I let off of the gas and it felt like the engine was going to die. 10 minutes later I tried it again and there were no problems at all. I decided to make my 6 hour, 400 mile trip to Iowa and didn't have a single problem along the way, including turning off and re-starting twice. I got to my jobsite, parked, and left the car for a couple hours, and now the battery is dead again. Any ideas what is going on here? I need to get it fixed before I go back home to Chicago on Friday. Any/all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Josh
"I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
Polk Audio LSiC
Polk Audio FXi30
Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
Sony Playstation 3
Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
Rotel 985 MK II
Rotel 1072 CDP
Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
Post edited by wodom1 on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2007
    Probably a bad battery. It's not holding a charge. While the engine is running the battery is getting some charge from the alternator but loses the charge when stopped. The rough running is probably due to the computer having to recalibrate when you lost power. Go by any auto parts store and they will be able to test both the battery and alternator. It is possible that the alternator is not charging the battery and once the battery runs out of power it has to be recharged. I'm betting on a bad battery.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited August 2007
    Take your car to Autozone, O'reillys, Napa, whatever and have them test your battery. It's a free service. Not only that, but they can check to make sure your engine isn't throwing any trouble codes that are not giving you a check engine light. I know that at Autozone or O'reilly's does this for free as well, but yeah, it sounds like a battery issue.

Hopefully an easy fix.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • wodom1
    edited August 2007
    I bought the battery in November so I don't think that's the problem. I just got it jumped and tried to drive it to a dodge dealership in Mason City, IA and after only a couple miles, the electrical gauge pegged in the red for too much voltage and different warning lights started flashing on the info. center display, as well as engine power fluctuating. I pulled off to the side of I-35, turned it off and tried to jump it again, but it wouldn't start. I ended up calling for a tow and it's on its way to the dealership now. I'm hoping that whatever the problem is isn't going to cost me a small fortune.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited August 2007
    Just read the last message. Wow. Bad part of the world to break down.
    Sounds like the voltage regulator/alternator.
    Maybe it's time to check out sophie's new 2 channel over in Clear Lake and chill a while!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • wodom1
    edited August 2007
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Just read the last message. Wow. Bad part of the world to break down.
    Sounds like the voltage regulator/alternator.
    Maybe it's time to check out sophie's new 2 channel over in Clear Lake and chill a while!

Yeah, there's not too much out here...I was less than a mile from my project-site and had a co-worker following who brought me back to the office after the tow truck arrived. I'm staying in a hotel in Mason City and some co-workers are in Clear Lake, so I'm not too far away.

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited August 2007
    My old part of the world. Grew up about 15 miles east of there on a farm.
    Turned 18 and bailed. Still much the same. Except older.:D
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited August 2007
    Sorry to hear the troubles. Sounds like the alternator to me too. My old Camaro did the same thing with all the gages going nuts and that's what it was. My experience with alternators is that replacements from parts stores suck. I've had much better luck with shops that specialize in alternator and starter rebuilds since they will build you one with higher quality (OEM spec) parts that will last a LOT longer and cost only a little more. If you do end up buying a battery I would suggest an Optima. Bought one a few years ago and it's tough as nails.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited August 2007
    I think I figured out the problem...it's a Dodge Durango. ;)

~J
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    Definetly sounds like battery to me. It was already addressed, but I'd take it to one of those auto stores to have a charging load test done.

Just because you recently put a new one in, doesn't mean it isn't bad. I had one go bad in less than six months, and it was one of those expensive sealed Optima brands.

I wouldn't wait to long, having a bad battery is HARD on the alternator and will eventually throw it out too. Sounds to me that the alternator is working "double-duty".
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2007
    Yep, not unusual at all to get a bad battery. Also check for loose/corroded battery cables, as they account for a good percentage of "battery problems".
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    You guys are SO way off. This is an easy fix. Fill up the air in your right rear tire and all will be well.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SLOCOOKN
    SLOCOOKN Posts: 704
    edited August 2007
    A couple of things. While the truck is running you could disconnect the battery to verify that the alternator is functioning properly. You will want to check the tension of the belt and the belt. The belt may need to be replaced. Clean all battery connections.
    :eek: From the bottom it looks like a steep incline, From the top another down hill slope of mine.:mad: But I know the equilibrium's there!:cool: .."Faith No More" :D
    Sony cx985v (for now)
    BBE 482i
    B&K AVP 1030
    Adcom GFA 555 mk 2
    AudioQuest Crystal 2 spk wire
    Nordost RCA
    SDA 3.1 tl RD0 tweets
    Belkin pf60
    Carver TFM 55x
    Signal Analog 2 RCA
    AudioQuestType 4
    VMPS Original Tall Boy (Mega Woofers soon)
  • MikeC78
    edited August 2007
    Just make it easier and get it tested.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2007
    You need a new Battery. If it runs 400 miles with out a problem, then you can't start it again... Battery thats all. I just throw out a 23 month battery which I believe was under warranty but I switch brands do to a DOA battery act. Died while trying to start wouldn't even light the headlights. :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2007
    It probably is the battery but I think it could also be the alternator. The thing that makes me say that is the engine lugging down to 200 RPM's. You would have to draw a LOT of voltage to lug the engine down that low, even then its doubtful. I vote alternator.

Let us know what the dealer says.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MikeC78
    edited August 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    It probably is the battery but I think it could also be the alternator. The thing that makes me say that is the engine lugging down to 200 RPM's. You would have to draw a LOT of voltage to lug the engine down that low, even then its doubtful. I vote alternator.

Let us know what the dealer says.

Not going to argue, but explain how it would make the vehicle run for a long extended time period off the battery? Sounds to me that the alternator might be going bad also, because of what I said before about it pulling double duty.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2007
    Im no mechanic so Im actually talking out my **** right now but I was thinking perhaps the alternator is working half assed. Working ok sometimes and then crapping out some other times and thats when things go haywire.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited August 2007
    Bad battery can drag down a cars electronics.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2007
    True but all the way down to 200 RPM's?

• MikeC78
    edited August 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Im no mechanic so Im actually talking out my **** right now but I was thinking perhaps the alternator is working half assed. Working ok sometimes and then crapping out some other times and thats when things go haywire.

The alternator is probably working half ****. When the battery goes to crap, the alternator is on overload and will die out quick.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited August 2007
    I don't know much about cars, but I would think it's either the battery or regulator or charging circuit. Or you may have more than one problem as it takes a LOT of current drawn from the (working?) alternator to drag the engine down to 200 RPMs...

Maybe a short somewhere?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited August 2007
    My vote Battery :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• wodom1
    edited August 2007
    It actually turned out to be something incredibly simple -- corrosion inside the neg. battery cable. I won't have more info. on why exactly it would make the car run the way it was until tomorrow. The dealership ran tests on the battery and alternator and said they're good. Thanks for all the help and suggestions though. It was a bad feeling knowing that I'm basically in the middle of nowhere and having car problems. Even though it was a simple fix, I've made up my mind further to buy myself a brand spankin' new supercrew F-150 4x4 Lariat in a couple months...

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • MikeC78
    edited August 2007
    Awesome! Glad everything turned out ok, now go get that new truck before the alternator goes out!;)
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2007
    Corroded battery cable huh? I knew it!!

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited August 2007
    Glad to hear everything is okay.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    No, it was the tire silly. BTW, it takes 40,000v to make a spark in the typical spark plug.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • A55HAT
    A55HAT Posts: 6
    edited August 2007
    Ever Tazer your nuts?