SRS2 v SRS3.1

geppy1
geppy1 Posts: 3,071
edited August 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I understand what the 3.1 is but what is the SRS2? It seems like an oddball. How does the sound compare to the 3.1 or a SDA1. Where did it fall in the line? thanks,keith
Post edited by geppy1 on

Comments

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited August 2007
    The SRS2 was part of the 3rd/4th generation of the SDA lineup and were made from 1986 to 1988 at or around $995 each. The 3.1TL's were from the 5th generation and were made from 1989 to 1991 at or around $1000 each. The SDA 1's were part of the 1st generation and were made from 1982 to 1983 at or around $850 each. The SDA1's used the SL1000 tweeters, the SRS2's used the SL2000 silver coil and the 3.1TL's used the SL3000 tweeters. Basically, the typical upgrades thru the years of productions.

Personally, I own the SDA 1C's and SRS2's so I can't comment on the 3.1TL's or the SDA 1's. Both have great characteristics about them but the SRS2's definitely are the more fuller sound of the two because of the cabinet size and larger PR. Both can handle a good chunk of power (as all of the SDA's can) but the SRS2's definitely would like to see more.

Are you looking at (or for) those particular models and have them to choose from? Man, what a good predicament to me in if so!

Others will chime in soon....
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited August 2007
    SRS2 has 15" passive sub vs 12" on 3.1's
    SRS2 has 4 mid drivers with 2 tweeter stacked in between the sets of drivers. Nice balance of SDA drivers and stereo drivers. 2 versions 1 pin/pin 2 binding post earlier model, 1 pin/blade 4 bindings post later model late 80's speakers.
    3.1 and 3.1Tl 2 models different drivers and tweeters. single driver on inside positioning and on other single drive on outside positioning
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • avguytx
    edited August 2007
    One recommendation for all SDA owners and future SDA owners (and just because it's so damn good) would be to buy the SDA Compendium from DarqueKnight. I can't remember the requirements about buying it off the top of my head but I do believe you have to have 25 posts or more before it will allow you to even send a PM. Maybe he will see this thread and help out with the book. Here is a thread in regards to the Compendium.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited August 2007
    Here here. I totally agree. I have CRS can't remember ****. I rely on Compendium a lot.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • avguytx
    edited August 2007
    You have the dreaded "CRS Syndrome" too, huh?
  • soupbone
    soupbone Posts: 104
    edited August 2007
    What does the 3.1 do that the other SDA's don't? I used to own the 1.2TL, awesome speaker but just too big. I couldn't get them to disappear. What would be a good reason to choose the 3.1 over the other models.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited August 2007
    Unless I am listening to a crappily mixed recording, my 1.2 TLs always disappear! Could be the RD0198s or the Dynamat on the basket spokes or the Cardas post upgrades or the Sonic Cap/Mills resistor upgrades or all of the above but when I close my eyes they two behemoths disamappear.
  • stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    edited August 2007
    Haven't listened to SRS 2's but I have listened to 1.2 TLs and currently have 3.1TL's. On normal stereo recordings the 3.1 is not as wide as other SDA's but instrument placement is spot on with excellent depth. Dynamics are really good for a "smaller" speaker. Surround encoded material is as wide as ANY SDA out there.

Paul
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited August 2007
    From what a dealer told me years ago. The 3.1's were better for narrow rooms(Smaller Sweet Spot). Of course my memory has a lot of resin in it.:D My uncle has a pair of 3.1's. They do very well for Classical music, not great at R&R.

I personally like the way the SRS2's sounded over the 3.1's but they both sound great. I think the 2's have a bigger spread over the 3.1's.

Here is a question for you. Do you like your bass with more power or tight. The 3.1's were definately tighter if not almost lacking in big bass power.

I always thought the one Dimensional driver seemed odd in the 3.1's.

If you can hear both that would help your decision
  • The 3.1 was the oddball.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Holy necropost!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    TroyD wrote: »
    Holy necropost!

He is after all Backtothe80s.

Say it....
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    HAAAAAAAAARRRRR!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    The 3.1 was the oddball.

And now, you are.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus