If I were to get a subwoofer with good bass......

1lakerfan
1lakerfan Posts: 112
edited August 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
would there be a point in getting a speaker with a midrange? wouldnt I just need the tweeter? I know the midrange produces a different type of bass but if the subwoffer works that good I am assuming you wouldnt even here it right?.
Post edited by 1lakerfan on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2007
    No, your subwoofer plays about 80Hz and down, your tweeter plays around 2800Hz and up. The midrange is what connects the two.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    No, your subwoofer plays about 80Hz and down, your tweeter plays around 2800Hz and up. The midrange is what connects the two.
    -Cody

Yup.

The midrange is the heart and soul of your sound system. While techincally the tweeter plays more frequencies (2500-20,000 Hz) the midrange is what gives it its characteristic sound and determines a lot of imaging cues. I would say that the midrange is the most important driver in your system so you definitely want a good one.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jack from Indo
    Jack from Indo Posts: 109
    edited August 2007
    There's a reason it's called a "sub" woofer, as opposed to a "woofer".

Consider: When a bass guitarist plays, most of his notes are vibrating with a frequency higher than the 80hz Cody mentions above, and consequently most of the information will be coming out your mids, not out of your sub.