Best SDAs for rock and blues??

Options
geppy1
geppy1 Posts: 3,071
edited August 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I am wondering what you gentleman think is the best of the following for rock and blues. SDA1,B C, SRS 2, SRS3.1? I have some SDA1s i just got,some RTA12Bs and model 10s I have had the 10s for 25 years. the 10s have been modified by ken S and I use the SL1000 in them and the 10s really do nothing wrong. I just thought after 25 years I deserve new speakers. Tried Von S VR2s and Vandersteen 2CE sig (very good) and Polk LS15s but keep coming back tto vintage Polk. The 12s sound a little thin and forward with either the peerless and more so with the 1000s. The SDAs sound more like the 10s in tonal balance but do not have the depth and almost seem laid back BUT there is a naturalness about them and the wide and tall stage. Just kind of flat. . My ears really physicaly hurt after listening and changing things for the last two weeks. Opinions might help. Sorry for missed letters. I am legally blind and writting on a computer is anighmare. thanks,keith
Post edited by geppy1 on

Comments

• I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited August 2007
    Options
    If you can afford it and have the gear to push them, get the big dog SRS's. I went from the 1C's to the original SRS's and have been very pleased. I feel lik eI got more of everything: scale, bass, scale, dynamics, scale, clarity, and did I mention scale? :D

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Just make sure your amps have current to meet the SDA needs. Rock music demands it.
    Good Luck,
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Phil Dawson
    Phil Dawson Posts: 288
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Big speakers, big amps, rock on. It will sound great.
    Phil
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Which ever you can afford.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Either pair of mine sound good no matter what I play on them. It's just down to how big a pair you find, how much power you can put on them, and what you put behind them for sources, etc. All sorts of variables but they should all do a fine job.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Big speakers, big amps, rock on. It will sound great.
    Phil

My SRS 2s rock just fine with my 40 wpc Anthem tube amp.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • geppy1
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Hi, Thanks for the responses. I use a Bel Canto EVo2 and Analysis Plus Oval 9 wire so driving them is no problem. High current and all. I have found the SDA1s to sound very warm and laidback with the Analysis plus wire so I used the Anto cables on them and they are much more alive. This cable on the 10s and RTA 12bs is to aggressive. Has anyone else had to change wires when going from conventional speakers to SDAs? The stuff i have and am looking at (except the 10s) came off Ebay. By the way would anyone pick the RTA12 over an SDA?? . Thanks keith
  • geppy1
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Any more thoughts on the sonic difference between SDA3.1 and SDA SRS2 . By the way money does matter since i really have none.. Which is the better deal. SRS 2 at $500 SRS3.1 at $1000. Or do i keep the SDA1s and call it a day? Thanks much for your help. keith
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited August 2007
    Options
    SRS2 gets my vote. I don't think 3.1's are worth twice the price of SRS2's
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Man, I got the smokin' deal on my SRS2's at $200, huh! :D I've always wondered about that single "dimensional" driver, too, and how it sounded. Who in here has the 3.1's?
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2007
    Options
    IMO, the two are worth about the same. It'll all depend on condition.

Get the SRS 2s. If they are in good shape, that's a WHOLE lot of speaker system for $500. I've been offered $1000 for mine, but they're in exceptional condition. I wouldn't sell them. That should tell you something. They are about the most versatile set of speakers I've had, both in musicality and driveability. I've driven them with a 305 wpc Parasound sand amp and now with a 40wpc Anthem tube amp, both with phenomenal results.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I have to agree with Engtaz and ND13, I don't think the 3.1's are worth twice as much. I would say 6-700 max for the 3.1's. I have to go with the SRS2's for the price.

Like I mentioned in the other post about this, my uncle has 3.1's using an older Macintosh Amplifier. They sound very nice with classical music and old country but don't seem to have the oomph for Rock, Jazz or Blues.

If you are a vinyl guy I would definately go SRS2. They sound much warmer to me then 3.1's. The SDA1's with some upgrades would sound real nice too they have good bottom end.
  • geppy1
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I have the SDA1s. What upgrades would you recommend? I am not worried about the tweeters as i like them. Thanks,keith
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited August 2007
    Options
    The normal upgrades for most are Cables, Interconnect, and Crossover.

You can get alot out of them with the right upgrades. Just think about it. Your crossover is as old as the speakers. The caps start to deteriorate after about 10 years. Your speakers are almost 20. As they get older they start to let things through the speakers that would normally be blocked or adjusted by them. You souldn't have lost much in the way of bass response but the mids and highs will definately have changed as they have aged. Hey that rhymed.:p

If you look around on the site you will see alot of guys have done crossover upgrades. I plan on doing my own soon. I have a set of SDA2's that need some love. I have a bunch of upgrades in my head for them. Including tweeters and possibly drivers.

If I were you I would still buy one of the other sets of speakers you were talking about. This way you could use one while you upgrade the other. What a great hobby!!!!:D
  • Texas42
    Texas42 Posts: 404
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I'd have to go with the 1Bs because that's what I have and I can't find a pair of SRS....:(