In an attempt to not go all PW...

cruzer
cruzer Posts: 84
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Just thought I would say hello and that I need 10 posts so I can go PM somebody (or 25 to go post in the for sale section) ;) .

Hi, I'm cruzer, and I'm a noobie and looking for something not so cheap (relatively) to listen to in my gameroom. I'm trying to find a good stereo setup for my gameroom. Looking at LSi 15's or 25's to listen to while playing pool.

edit: 9 posts
Post edited by cruzer on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited August 2007
    Welcome. You get points for being honest.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cruzer
    edited August 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Ummmmm who are you going to PM?

I want to PM blakeh.
  • cruzer
    edited August 2007
    F1nut wrote: »
    Welcome. You get points for being honest.

Points are good! Not sure what they are good for, but at least I got some!:D
  • cruzer
    edited August 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Buy Any one of these:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=polk+sda&category0=

If you can, Get the SRS 2's, they are amazing!

But you will need a High Powered Amp, 200 watts min.

Tried to not go "all post ****," but here I go anyway. I'm trying not to go too cheap on this system since there are only going to be two speakers (but how much can a guy just out of college really afford?). The SRS 2's do look like they have good specs (from what little I know about speakers), but its hard to know what they really sound like.

I had thought I decided on a pair of LSi15's and a Outlaw RR2150 until I saw blakeh's Adcom GFA-585. I figured that to be enough to power the LSi15's or LSi25's.

With that said, it seems like I change my mind every hour so I'm willing to listen to every idea I hear. ;)
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited August 2007
    Hmm, do you have roommates? If so, I really wouldn't put too much money into it as you know one of them will get drunk and hurl on it or try to turn the amp up to 11.

Look into the used market, more bang for the buck and you can usually sell an item for about what you bought it for.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • cruzer
    edited August 2007
    luckily I was able to get my own house so no roommates to speak of. Just a couple of dogs for now. :)
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited August 2007
    Ahh, so drool, hurl, and fur.... Sounds like the typicla cal-berkley co-ed....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • G-2
    G-2 Posts: 533
    edited August 2007
    Welcome cruzer, perhaps you'd be better served by some LSi9's that you can put up on the wall or on a bookshelf which will remove them from the dog's area. Food for thought, and hang out for a while, some really great folks & information to be had here!
    Home Theater
    Chane
    A3rx-c's, A2rc-c, A1rx-c's|Miller & Kreisel V-125's|Sony XBR65X810C 65" 4K LED TV|
    Earthquake Cinenova Grande-5|Pioneer Elite - VSX-84TXSi-AVR|TRIPPLITE LCR2400|
    Ultrasonic Amp Stand|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|

2 - Channel
    Polk
    RTA 12c's w/RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills resistors (full mod)|Turntable|
    Anthem MCA 2|Acurus Act 3 Pre Pro|Parasound P/Ph 100|Pioneer Elite N-30|Adcom GDA600|
    Premier Rack|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2007
    cruzer, welcome. what kind of music will you be listening to on the speakers.. and what other pieces of stereo gear will the speakers be hooked up to?

Do you like your music loud with lots of bass? give us some feedback.. and it would be easier to match the right speakers to your needs.

kind of like feng shui :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited August 2007
    yes, the Lsi15s are awesome speakers, but without knowing more about your listening habits, living situation / lifestyle, and associated gear, there may be much better (and cheaper) speakers for you.

I wouldn't get LSi's (especially 15s) unless you have nothing that could damage them (rowdy friends, pets as mentioned), and a bunch of money lying around (they aren't cheap), and a good sized room for them, and very strong associated equipment to run them with (hard to drive properly).

Welcome, and post away!
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2007
    Posts in the same thread don't count as extra. (I don't think).
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • madmax
    edited August 2007
    That was 7910 for me, what is this one?

• madmax
    edited August 2007

• madmax
    edited August 2007
    Oh, I guess they do...

madmax

• cruzer
    edited August 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    cruzer, welcome. what kind of music will you be listening to on the speakers.. and what other pieces of stereo gear will the speakers be hooked up to?

Do you like your music loud with lots of bass? give us some feedback.. and it would be easier to match the right speakers to your needs.

kind of like feng shui :)

basically anything that isn't rap or heavy metal.

Lots of jazz. I do like my bass though. Its going to be split about 50/50 music and tv so I am going to need a receiver as well.

as far as the equipment that it will be hooked up to: that's why I'm here!
  • cruzer
    edited August 2007
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    yes, the Lsi15s are awesome speakers, but without knowing more about your listening habits, living situation / lifestyle, and associated gear, there may be much better (and cheaper) speakers for you.

I wouldn't get LSi's (especially 15s) unless you have nothing that could damage them (rowdy friends, pets as mentioned), and a bunch of money lying around (they aren't cheap), and a good sized room for them, and very strong associated equipment to run them with (hard to drive properly).

Welcome, and post away!

I don't exactly have a lot of money laying around...well...I'm saving up right now for the gameroom. I'm not too concerned about the dogs. They are small and not likely to knock them over. Friends happen. the room is technically 13x17 but it looks to the downstairs so it will appear to be much larger.
  • cruzer
    edited August 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    Oh, I guess they do...

madmax

something tells me you already knew this :p
  • cruzer
    edited August 2007
    10 posts and no one to pm any more. Guess I'll have to stick around for more advice. Guess I'll have to go read what others have for their stereos. *heads to stereo forum* :)