Ink Cartridge refill kits

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Do any of you use ink cartridge refill kits for your printer? Was wondering if these things really work and are not just a gimmick.
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited August 2007
    Tried a few of them and then went back to OEM. I found I could find the cartidges on ebay for the price of refill kits.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited August 2007
    I tried them once... once... they can be messy and sometimes the refilled cartridges won't start printing again.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited August 2007
    http://www.123inkjets.com/index.html
    123inkjets regularly send me 20 to 25% off coupons. This is were I get my inkjet cartridges. Toner I get at another place. coupon - 2007AUG25
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited August 2007
    I took a few HP ink cartridges to Walgreens to give the refills a try. One of my co-workers has done that for the last year with good results. We mainly only print out black and white stuff anyway. I did do a refill on one color cartridge to see what happens but won't know till these other 2 new ones run dry. I'm curious to see what happens as the b&w was $10 and the color $15 for a refill. These new HP cartridges are so small for the new printers and don't seem to last as long and are cheaper than their oversized older siblings from 4+ years ago.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    HP is located here and I have some friends who work for HP. One specifically designs the drivers for printers. HP actually puts chips in their cart's that cannot be defeated. Teh chip measures the ink and when its empty it disables the cartridge. The skinny is that they don’t make money on their printers, they make it on paper and Ink.

Most people I know who get their ink refilled at places have destroyed their entire printer and had to get a new one. I’ve seen it a LOT lately.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited August 2007
    avguytx wrote: »
    I took a few HP ink cartridges to Walgreens to give the refills a try. One of my co-workers has done that for the last year with good results.

Interesting. I heard about refilling ink cartridges at Walgreens this morning, and now I see it here. I may try it, too.

However, the reason I bought a new printer last year was because I tried a cheaper, non-OEM cartridge for the first time and the printer broke.

I've also tried ink refill kits and hated it. Not an option, IMO.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Serendipity
    edited August 2007
    I decided to give it a try and the printer broke. :mad:

Oh well...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    I just refilled my Laser toner for the first time, works amazing. the company I used was Lasertek, cost me $5 to refill a $85 cartridge.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited August 2007
    What is there web address?
    Thanks
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    Not sure on the webby, i got them on ebay. It was $20 shipped for 3 bottles, and it takes about 2/3 of a bottle to fill the toner in my Samsung laser.
  • Serendipity
    edited August 2007
    I just refilled my Laser toner for the first time, works amazing. the company I used was Lasertek, cost me $5 to refill a $85 cartridge.

Good to hear that it works. Apparently these things are hit or miss as my printer broke after using a refilled cartridge.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Good to hear that it works. Apparently these things are hit or miss as my printer broke after using a refilled cartridge.

i didnt use a refilled cartridge, i refilled my own cartridge that I had been using previously.

I would never buy a refilled cartridge since they say you can only refill twice before its no good and damages your printer.

Luckily every couple months the samsung laser printer i have goes on sale at Staples for under $50 after rebate, so I just buy an entire new printer since these don't come with starter cartridges, they come with the full ones. I take the cartridge out and sell the printer on craigslist for 20-30 bucks
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited August 2007
    I decided not to fool around with remanufactured cartridges or Walgreens. Ebay has new genuine cartridges for around the same price as Walgreens. For instance, I just bought a new HP 97 color cartridge off ebay for $15 (plus $5 shipping) and the price for a color refill at Walgreens is also $15. Walgreens is not worth the risk. There are too many bad experiences out there with non-OEM ink cartridges and refills.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."