HVAC is this tooo much $$$

dholmes
dholmes Posts: 1,136
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
My inlaws just had a co. come out to see what it would cost to install a air conditioner & heat pump, its a 75 yr old house, appx 1800 sq ft, no duct work in the house. They said it would cost 7900.00 for a 3.5 ton unit with the install of duct work & unit (Trane). The house is low to the ground & its going to be a pain for anyone to work on. Are they going to get screwed??? thanks
My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
Post edited by dholmes on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    That sounds reasonable as hell to me.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited August 2007
    Would a multi-zone split-system AC be a better option, since there is no duct work in the house?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • dholmes
    edited August 2007
    Thanks, most companies wont even come out to give a price,I guess they like new contruction instead of retro work. My new heat pump-air cond. cost 4100.00 for a Trane 4 ton unit but I had duct work already. Oh both are houses are 2 story & a multi zone would be better,I have a single zone but the up-staires is only about 2 degrees hotter that down staires.
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • dholmes
    edited August 2007
    This company, the one that did mine is very good,they had a sales guy come & gave the cost, then a crew came & did the work, then the next day a diffrent crew came & double checked everything the installers did!
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2007
    I'm in the HVAC biz...the price seems reasonable to me, maybe a little low to be honest.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    I'm not in the A/C industry and that's exactly what I was thinking Frank. A little too low in my experience. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you. I will tell you this, it's more work in labor than one might think retro-fitting A/C ductwork. More often than not there's a snag or an "issue" at every turn.

You might want to suggest to them to make sure that the A/C company guarantees the price quoted just to be on the safe side.;)
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    edited August 2007
    Yes, make sure it is not an estimate that could go higher with more detailed inspection during installation.
    [
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited August 2007
    That's a great price. I just got a ductless Unico system installed and it's only a 2-ton system and was almost 10k.

You also want to make sure that if there are exposed ducts, the cost includes covering them, or you may need to hire a carpenter for that.

~J