My final steps

Pantocrator
Pantocrator Posts: 84
edited August 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
First off, thank you to everybody who has helped me out over the past half year or so. I am now finishing my install of the parts listed in my sig. All I have to do now is deaden the rear doors, put the sub back into the trunk, and connect the fuse for the amplifier.

Now I guess is the really important part. I have a Pioneer 880PRS and I have to do all the settings for the system now... and I need some advice on where to start. I was thinking of just doing Auto TA and Auto EQ using the mic they gave me, and set the crossovers from the HU, not touching the amp.

Any advice in this area would be extremely appreciated. I am thinking of setting the low pass at around 60 htz, since that would allow the sub to settle into lower notes and the Sr's can handle the low sound. Other than that, I am unsure how to pass the tweeters or handle any other sound setup. there are a lot of features that I could mess around with, but I thought I would start here and see what people thought.

Again, thanks for all the help over the past months.
My system (thanks to everybody for the help)
One pair Polk SR6500 comps
One Polk SR124DVC sub
One Pioeer Premier 880PRS HU
One Memphis belle 16MCH1300 amp
Post edited by Pantocrator on

Comments

• Pantocrator
    edited August 2007
    Also, what should I do about the gain settings on the sub?
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited August 2007
    Tuning really isn't my thing, but I'm sure someone will be able to help you out. I messed around a lot with my settings until I was able to find what I liked most. I think everyone's taste will be a bit different. I have the same sub as you, and that thing will definitely hit them low notes :)
  • Pantocrator
    edited August 2007
    Anybody? What slope do you recommend? I would rather not have to trial and error this stuff.
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • Pantocrator
    edited August 2007
    nobody? Seriously? You got to give me something here! I now have the sub and mid passing at 80 htz, with the mids and tweets at 3100 htz. Should there be overlap between the passes i.e. the sub at 85 and the mids at 75... or is that part of the slope? Also, because of the way the sub, amp, and HU connect, I can only go mono to the sub... but I think I am losing half of the signal- the left side. Should I just use "balance" to shove all of the low sound to the right, so that it comes through the sub, or is there a prettier way of doing this?
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2007
    Sorry, I dont know the crossover points for your components, if it helps, my tweeters are high passed at 2750, my midrange is at 350-3000, and my midbass is 40-400.

You can overlap them, but especially in the lower frequencies, its not as necessary due to cabin gain. Ive heard some fantastic systems where the sub and the midbass where 10-20Hz where they had a 6 or 12 dB slope and the frequency response was still almost ruler flat.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited August 2007
    i can only tell you what i did. i did a manual time alignment, play with it until it sounds best. i used the autosound 2000 disc to do this. it plays 3 voices that direct sound to the left, center and right. this is very useful. my tweets are set at 3200hz mids 3200hz to 70hz and subs at 70hz all set at 24db per octave. i use no overlap on the crossover. i set my gains with a test disc and a scope with 5db gain overlap. if you dont have one set it with a volt meter. a good tutorial is on jl audio's web site. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps_pages.php?page_id=30
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • Pantocrator
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the replies.

......The tweeters- first off, even without any tuning and no break in time, the Polk tweeters are freaking awesome, but there is a slight, slight hiss, and it detracts from the music. Any ideas on what to do? It also seems like they are playing too much music perhaps, stealing the glory of the midwoofers, but the pass is at 3100 htz. Exalted has his set even lower... you notice the midwoofers not doing a whole lot in some songs?
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited August 2007
    no, mine seem fine.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2007
    Tweeters only play the signal given to them, if youre getting a hiss, its probably coming from the source unit, crossover, or amp.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2007
    Youre going to have to do trial and error. Thats the only way you learn what works best for your system.

My tweeters are high passed at 2500 Hz, mids play 2500-71 and sub is at 40 Hz for SQ and 63 for my daily driving. Everything is with a 24 db slope. I try to stay away from 6, 18 and 30 db slopes as they dont seem to mesh well and cause phasing issues. Even number slopes work better.

If your tweeters are mounted on or very close to the mids you can cross the mds a little higher. I have my tweets crossed as low as they are strictly to pull the image up.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D