Car Bose Blues

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
Last week my 1999 Chrysler LHS blew its head gaskets right after it crawled just over 100K. This time I decided to buy a more reliable used car -- a 1998 Mercedes C280 with low miles. It's a decent car -- smooth ride, nice amenities, and good gas mileage. However, the interior is very Germanesque (i.e., plain and utilitarian).

Anyway, it comes with a premium Bose sound system. Aaarrgghhhh!!!:mad: It also has a cassette player with a CD changer in the trunk, so it's outdated. However, I only listen to the radio while driving, so it's not a big deal. But my Chrysler's audio system sounded much better.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited August 2007
    A small price to pay for a nice step up in the automotive world.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    Rip the Blose out :D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Anyway, it comes with a premium Bose sound system.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... :D
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    I had a Bose car system in my old 02 Acura TL Type S and it was pretty good. I liked it a lot. Its nothing compared to the current Mark Levenson 6 disk DVD system I have now but the Bose wasnt bad.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited August 2007
    I took all the bose out of the Lexus RX330 and put an all alpine setup in it, consisted of 2 pair of 6.5's and tweeters not even sold in the USA, 2 x-type 12s, 1 Alpine 1000 watt amp driving each 12, and an Alpine 575 watt driving the mids and highs. I love it. I didnt even think Lexus came with Bose, so I assumed the previous owner had them put in from somewhere.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    Sherardp wrote: »
    I took all the bose out of the Lexus RX330 and put an all alpine setup in it, consisted of a some 2 pair of 6.5's and tweeters not even sold in the USA, 2 x-type 12s, 1 Alpine 1000 watt amp driving each 12, and an Alpine 575 watt driving the mids and highs. I love it. I didnt even think Lexus came with Bose, so I assumed the previous owner had them put in from somewhere.

Lexus comes with Blose, atleast i know it was a factory option in 2003 when my mom got her es300
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2007
    A lot of the factory "premium" systems sound really good now. Acura being one of the best, but a lot of the upper end brands are putting together some decent stuff. Mark Levinson, Bang and Olufson, Dynaudio.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited August 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    A lot of the factory "premium" systems sound really good now. Acura being one of the best, but a lot of the upper end brands are putting together some decent stuff. Mark Levinson, Bang and Olufson, Dynaudio.

The B&O systems in the Audi are incredible! I thought it would be half-assed, but it was really a nice sounding system....I heard the Levinson was real nice as well, I think that someone on here has a Lexus with it....
  • Systems
    edited August 2007
    The B&O systems in the Audi are incredible! I thought it would be half-assed, but it was really a nice sounding system....I heard the Levinson was real nice as well, I think that someone on here has a Lexus with it....

I have it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited August 2007
    I say just keep it. You're in a car fighting all kinds of road noise & interior noise. Why open up another can of worms & empty your wallet on car audio. If you were buying new & had a choice of systems then I'd consider all the audio options. To me personally car audio is only a small blimp on my radar. Put the money to better use & use it to add to your audio rig.

PS...we think alike don't we!!!! :D
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited August 2007
    I say just keep it. You're in a car fighting all kinds of road noise & interior noise. Why open up another can of worms & empty your wallet on car audio. If you were buying new & had a choice of systems then I'd consider all the audio options. To me personally car audio is only a small blimp on my radar. Put the money to better use & use it to add to your audio rig.

PS...we think alike don't we!!!! :D

Hell, yeah, we think alike. There's no way I'm gonna invest in another car audio system. I'll just live with the Bose system that's in there. Since regular radio broadcasts has too many annoying commercials, one day when I get some extra money I may consider satellite radio if they have some decent jazz stations. I'm old school, so it's kinda weird to spend money for radio broadcasts.:( I felt the same way 25 years ago about cable television.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2007
    Funny thing is, youre higher end systems usually arent made by the brand name stamped on your door panel.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited August 2007
    Just a heads up, check the EQ if it has it. My mother got a 200X Acura with a Bose system and the system had the bass and treble up maybe 3 notches each, sounded terrible. After I set it to flat it was much better, from awful to listen able.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited August 2007
    Gaara wrote: »
    Just a heads up, check the EQ if it has it. My mother got a 200X Acura with a Bose system and the system had the bass and treble up maybe 3 notches each, sounded terrible. After I set it to flat it was much better, from awful to listen able.

I never understood why people do that.......what is the purpose to crank the treble all the way up? my mom does it and says it sounds better.....i keep telling her no way it makes my ears bleed.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2007
    I'll just live with the Bose system that's in there.

Had one in my 87 Camaro. I told people it had a bose system and they always complemented me on having such a system. It was hard to keep from laughing at them. :D
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Systems
    edited August 2007
    Most *decent* new cars have a good enough system now-a-days. Any smart manufacturer knows that its important for people. On the other hand, when I bought my Subby Sti, it had no stereo at all which I thought was great because I put what I wanted in it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited August 2007
    I prefer the rumble of the exhaust over the radio in my vehicles.

Which is why I had subs in my Accord :p
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited August 2007
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Funny thing is, youre higher end systems usually arent made by the brand name stamped on your door panel.
    -Cody

exactly!!!
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Ern Dog
    Ern Dog Posts: 2,237
    edited August 2007
    Anyway, it comes with a premium Bose sound system. Aaarrgghhhh!!!:mad:

I love the irony of this situation. Too funny :p
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    edited August 2007
    When I bought my then-new 1979 Hurst Olds Cutlass W-30 I ask the dealer to take the GM/Delco stereo out - which they did and deducted it from the then price of $9800.
    [
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited August 2007
    Hell, yeah, we think alike. There's no way I'm gonna invest in another car audio system. I'll just live with the Bose system that's in there. Since regular radio broadcasts has too many annoying commercials, one day when I get some extra money I may consider satellite radio if they have some decent jazz stations. I'm old school, so it's kinda weird to spend money for radio broadcasts.:( I felt the same way 25 years ago about cable television.

Early...get the satellite radio. I bought one for my recent trip and it can be moved from the car to the house (which is hooked up to my upstairs system). Before, I would only use the cd multi-player at random setting and rarely use the tuner. Now, XM radio is on MOST OF THE TIME when me or my wife are at home. I got the day off today and the "all Jazz" station is playing right now...good stuff!

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited August 2007
    I had a Bose system in my Maxima years ago and when one of the speakers blew the dealer wanted $425 (this was about 8 years ago) for ONE speaker........I replaced everything and never looked back.

Since each of their speakers are individually amplified, you have to buy all that crap when you have to replace one, so it's better to just rip it all out and start anew if you end up dealing with one that's out..........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,980
    edited August 2007
    brettw22 wrote: »
    I had a Bose system in my Maxima years ago and when one of the speakers blew the dealer wanted $425 (this was about 8 years ago) for ONE speaker........I replaced everything and never looked back.

Since each of their speakers are individually amplified, you have to buy all that crap when you have to replace one, so it's better to just rip it all out and start anew if you end up dealing with one that's out..........
    Well that Blose!
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~