the damn stock market can stop dropping anytime now

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited September 2007 in The Clubhouse
Holy sheite! When will the stock market settle down? Nothing but losses for two weeks. :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

and no this is not just a minor correction.. it's very unstable right now.. no gains, all losses. :mad: :confused:
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited August 2007
    tell me about it, I see my investments going down and down......:mad:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2007
    It will go back up. Then back down...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited August 2007
    Just don't panic... :)
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    edited August 2007
    I have lost 20Gs so far...................GRRRRRRRRRRR
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited August 2007
    no panic I'm in for the long run..it will be nice to buy cheap though!
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited August 2007
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    doggie750 wrote: »

You haven't lost anything until you sell :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    Precisely! Al why are you so worried? You are young enough to regain whatever minor losses you are suffering from now. Anyone who has 10+ years of having to work for a living should be ignoring this crap. It's not worth the anxiety you are bringing on yourself.

Now if you are retired & are not diversified & have all your money in stocks, YOU'RE UP A CREEK!:eek: :D

bobman1235 wrote: »
    You haven't lost anything until you sell :)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • danger boy
    edited August 2007
    i'm worried, because of the stock market dropping.. it killed any audio upgrades for now. :mad:
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2007
    Why didn't you guys sell out after it went over 14k? 'buy low, sell high' ;)
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited August 2007
    Last two weeks have me down only 3% so I don't mind too much. Still up 14% for the year. Time to start buying!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2007
    As my professors used to say. When it goes down, it just means everythings on sale :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    i'm worried, because of the stock market dropping.. it killed any audio upgrades for now. :mad:

Do you live day to day off of stock dividends or something?

It went down over two weeks, it coudl just as easily come back up over two weeks, or a year, or whatever.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • madmax
    edited August 2007

Are you saying you are buying stocks rather than upgrades? Good!
    madmax

• cfrizz
    edited August 2007
    Then you are using the wrong funds to make audio upgrades from!:eek: If you are not buying & holding for way in the future, you better invest in short term cd's for audio purchases.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited August 2007
    Other than some shares of Berkshire Hathaway, and a couple of 401k's from previous employers, my investments are all in land/real estate. Land seems to be holding pretty steady, non-commercial real estate is taking a beating. Guess I'll need to keep working at my day job!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited August 2007
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Other than some shares of Berkshire Hathaway, and a couple of 401k's from previous employers, my investments are all in land/real estate. Land seems to be holding pretty steady, non-commercial real estate is taking a beating. Guess I'll need to keep working at my day job!

Seems like one trigger for the collapse today was countrywide borrowing some serious funds to cover their loans. There is a real estate connection here...;)
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,670
    edited August 2007
    Pork bellies, people, pork bellies !
    Sal Palooza
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited August 2007
    No jumping out of windows!

Maybe a roof would work better?
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • madmax
    edited August 2007
    Don't anyone jump off their tower speakers yet...

• danger boy
    edited August 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Precisely! Al why are you so worried? You are young enough to regain whatever minor losses you are suffering from now. Anyone who has 10+ years of having to work for a living should be ignoring this crap. It's not worth the anxiety you are bringing on yourself.

Now if you are retired & are not diversified & have all your money in stocks, YOU'RE UP A CREEK!:eek: :D

Cathy, thanks or your positive outlook.. and FYI, i'm not that young anymore. ;)

Seriously, i know it's just an adjustment... the 3 weeks prior to this.. i was dancing in the streets. it'll bounce back again. I am diversified, but maybe a wee bit to heavy in the stock market. ;)
  • danger boy
    edited August 2007
    madmax wrote: »
    Are you saying you are buying stocks rather than upgrades? Good!
    madmax

yes! :p;)
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited August 2007
    Looks like it bounced back at the end of the day. Probably means the institutional investors are playing on the fears of the non-pro's.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited August 2007
    I think I've lost 15% over the past two weeks. OUCH! Still up for the year, but was up quite a bit before this recent downturn.

Maybe my CFA will get in some good buys with the market being down. . . reload for the next bull rush.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Sami
    edited August 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Looks like it bounced back at the end of the day. Probably means the institutional investors are playing on the fears of the non-pro's.

That's exactly what is happening. It's all a game. If someone is selling it means someone is buying. If you panic now and sell, well...don't. :)

After-market hours seems to be positive as well. If you bought low today it was a good day to sell high. :D
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited August 2007
    A fast rise is always followed by a fast fall,and then levels out.Trouble is...greed,and that will always get you in trouble.All you guys crying about how much you lost.......how much did you MAKE when it was going up??
    Money can be made in an up or down market.Any of you guy's trade currency?I used to trade EURO'S,what a fun market,nerve racking and fast,but fun.You either make or lose money in minutes rather than weeks or months in the stock market.Give it a whirl,it's addicting.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Sami
    edited August 2007
    tonyb wrote: »
    A fast rise is always followed by a fast fall,and then levels out.Trouble is...greed,and that will always get you in trouble.All you guys crying about how much you lost.......how much did you MAKE when it was going up??
    Money can be made in an up or down market.

When you're gambling, you're only counting your winnings, not the money you put in. On stock market you only count losses? :p
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited August 2007
    this is great for me as im just starting to get into the whole world of stocks. time to "stock up" ;)
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited August 2007
    It's only a paper loss... so far

The stock market's just like gambling, and Kenny Rogers had it right, long ago:

You've gotta know when to hold 'em
    Know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away
    And when to run
    You never count your money
    When you're sittin' at the table
    There'll be time enough for countin'
    When the dealin's done.
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2007
    One of my favorite KR songs!!!:D