It's been 30 years....

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
since the King died.

Playing it LOUD today.

One shot in me and one in the ground for the King.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    One shot in me and one in the ground for the King.

At six in the morning? You planning on going out like the King?

Cheers,
    Russ

....caught in trap....I can't walk out....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2007
    It's a little early yet but I've got some Evan Williams single barrel for the ocaission.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited August 2007
    Yes, it is.

It's a little pricey to replace my daily driver (Makers Mark) but it is awfully tasty.

BDT
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited August 2007
    One of my MP3 cds for the car has a couple of the "Kings" songs, I'll be sure to listen on the way to work this morning.

Has it really been 30 years? I remember the day I heard on the news; I was 11 years old at the time and just remember the outpouring of sadness.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited August 2007
    I was never a fan personally, but one can't deny his impact on music...
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited August 2007
    Time to bust out my minty Elvis R-D box set on vinyl. Don't think I've actually listened to them since I wet cleaned the set last winter.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2007
    I remember the day vividly. I lived in Memphis and my mother and father were in the music industry. My mom sent me to every newspaper machine in the area to buy up all the Commercial Appeals and Memphis Press-Scemitars(sp?). It was a sad, bizzare day to say the least.....especially if you lived in Memphis at the time.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • TroyD
    edited August 2007
    I remember when it happened...the closest thing to it since has been the death of Princess Diana but I think that the passing of Elvis had an even more profound effect on people.

BDT
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    I remember when it happened...the closest thing to it since has been the death of Princess Diana but I think that the passing of Elvis had an even more profound effect on people.

BDT

Yeah, even John Lennon's death wasn't close.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited August 2007
    The King was lame.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited August 2007
    Guess I'm too young. Wow, did I just say that?
    He had a huge impact on modern music in America.
    Didn't do much for me, but it opened the door for a lot of
    artists that would have gotten buried by the anti rock crowd.
    I lived in Memphis for about a year. I did see Elvis's last
    Christmas display. I left about a month before his death.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2007
    Wow. 30 years. One of the best, undoubtedly. I'll definitely be listening to him today.
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    ....caught in trap....I can't walk out....
    One of my favorites!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited August 2007
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    I was never a fan personally, but one can't deny his impact on music...

I agree
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007
    I'll be sure to pop a few amphetamines and fried peanut butter and nanner sandwhiches whilst sitting on my **** tonight in honor of this great, great, human being.
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited August 2007
    dont be cruel
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I'll be sure to pop a few amphetamines and fried peanut butter and nanner sandwhiches whilst sitting on my **** tonight in honor of this great, great, human being.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2007
    bruss wrote: »
    dont be cruel

hahaha!

We toured Graceland about 5 years ago. Very strange, to say the least.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    +1 What PM & Fireman said.

I was 16 at the time when it was announced, and his hayday had come & gone by that time so I really didn't see the big deal. Especially when I found out how he died! I thought it was a waste.

While he may have had an impact on music, I don't consider him anything special with his talent. I only like about 3 of his songs.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited August 2007
    I was too young to remember his passing. However, I've always heard things about Elvis from my mom....she still watch those TV commercials of his latest CD compilation. Partially from her, I became a fan. Not a fanatic though.

Today's pick....

Burning Love
    Don't Be Cruel
    Are You Lonesome Tonight?
    A Little Less Conversation (Junkie XL remix)
    Can't Help Falling in Love
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited August 2007
    I don't remember much about Elvis but Ann-Margaret in Viva Las Vegas is still tattooed on my brain.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited August 2007
    Long live the King.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited August 2007
    He was only 42. What a shame, I think he had a lot left in him. Look at Mick Jagger, Tony Bennett or dozens of other performers who continue to have great careers after age 50.

Then, there is Paul McCarthy.
    Carl

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    :D Do you mean Sir Paul McCartney former Beatle Carl?:D

schwarcw wrote: »
    He was only 42. What a shame, I think he had a lot left in him. Look at Mick Jagger, Tony Bennett or dozens of other performers who continue to have great careers after age 50.

Then, there is Paul McCarthy.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2007
    Federal Offense payed tribute to a jazz version of JailHouse Rock during our session last night.

Who dropped the soap......................

I just wanna be your teddy bear.

RT1
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited August 2007
    30 years already? I was 16 when he kicked it. Man, I've lived longer than the King!
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited August 2007
    No worries guys..
    the King just sold me some beef jerky and pumped my gas at the local 7-11.

He told me to say "hi".
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore