Polk Audio intros new VM Series high-end flat panel speakers

fireshoes
fireshoes Posts: 3,167
edited October 2007 in Speakers
Sources: The Retail Bridge newsletter
http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/10381/377945.html

Polk Audio VM Series Loudspeakers Announced

Make no mistake about it; according to Polk its new VM Series loudspeakers were designed specifically with high-end flat panel home theater systems in mind.

The line includes three models -- one floor standing, two on-wall/shelf/stand mounted -- all with Polk's Dynamic Balance drivers and tweeters. Each speaker is made with a polymer/mineral composite, while the tweeters are anodized aluminum domes with neodymium magnets and low-viscosity ferro-magnetic cooling fluid. Each speaker comes in a satin-gloss black or satin-gloss silver aluminum enclosure.

The 49-inch tall floor standing VM30 includes two 4-inch midrange drivers and a 1-inch tweeter in one chamber and four 4-inch bass drivers in a second chamber. The VM30 sits on top of a smoked glass base and will be available at an MSRP of $1,149 each.

The VM20 -- which houses two 4-inch midbass drivers, two 4-inch planar bass radiators and a 1-inch aluminum dome tweeter -- can fill in as either a left or right front speaker or as a center channel speaker. Each VM20 carries an MSRP of $529.

Each VM10 satellite speaker houses two 3-inch midbass drivers and a 1-inch aluminum dome tweeter. The MSRP on each VM10 will be $349.

Polk's new VM Series will be available to U.S. and Canadian retailers starting in September.

If your customer is looking for more of a complete system, Polk this week also introduced a new RM Series of home theater speaker systems. The RM Series -- also available in September -- will include a variety of 5.1 and up subwoofer/satellite systems ranging in price from $479.95 to $699.95 MSRP.

pics from ecoustics:

377949.jpg
377950.jpg
377951.jpg

See Polk's fax blast link for better pictures and info:
http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/fax_blasts/VM_Series.pdf
Post edited by fireshoes on

Comments

• fireshoes
    edited August 2007
    Whatcha think about that? The VM30 is Polk's second most expensive speaker to the LSi25!
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
    VM 30 sports a 1" Ferro-magnetic fluid-cooled Aluminum Dome Tweeter.

The aluminum tweeter doesn't sound to appealing to me.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2007
    OMG, they are now joining the metal tweeter makers! I just might have to find a new speaker company!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited August 2007
    It seems like that's what every mainstream "video" speaker manufacturer is going to. Some of the in-wall/in-ceiling speakers I rep still use silk soft dome tweeters in them. I guess they think the voicing for "video reproduction" works best. Seems like it's more and more about the video versus the audio these days.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited August 2007
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2007
    It's probably DEI's directive! I knew it was just a matter of time before they started pushing Polk in a different direction!:( :mad:
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited August 2007
    Those are some pricey little speakers. I'll save judgement until I hear them.
  • cfrizz
    edited August 2007
    Pricey & featherweights!

Product Weight
    4.3 lbs
    11.6 lbs
    25.5 lbs

You blow on them too hard & they will fall over!

Not to mention the strange resemblance to the Def Tech Mythos Towers.
  • fireshoes
    edited August 2007
    Just added the Polk fax blast link with more pics and info.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited August 2007
    Spy Photo.
    vm1.jpg 98.2K
    vm2.jpg 142.8K
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited August 2007
    easy guys!

I remember all this kind of talk right before the release of the surroundbar. we then changed our minds after we heard it, and recognized how good a product it was 2 polkfests ago.

I would reserve judgement until we hear it.

also remember, this is a specific market speaker, slim line, to go with a tv mounted on the wall. they might have had no choice but to go with a metal tweet to make it all work.....who knows.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited August 2007
    come to think of it, any way we can get a set of these at polkfest this year?
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • fireshoes
    edited August 2007
    The spy has pretty nice looking cables and what looks like a rather large amp.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2007
    Lou,

You are going to get to hear the Polk Lc-RTS line in-walls which are higher up the chain than this one. Well at least I hope you will, I am waiting on two speakers yet but Al told me they are on the way to San Diego.

There will be some of the other new gear, Al is working on it.

RT1
  • Yashu
    Yashu Posts: 772
    edited August 2007
    I wish the RTi line used this type of tweeter... Metal tweets can sound really good. I am not sure why you guys are knocking them... Aluminum is not going to be too bright, and they sound very natural and neutral...

Sure these speakers probably built more for WAF than performance, but it's cool to see polk trying out a new tweeter somewhere.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited August 2007
    The next generation of the RM series. I have no doubt that it sounds better than the old RM series - I am not sure why you guys are knocking it. That series has always been about high WAF first and sound second. If they can build a high WAF speaker with decent sound it should bring alot more people into the polk camp. I do not think it was designed to steal sales away from the LSi series - rather bring customers from other brands looking at DefTech mythos - Bose - etc.

Much like the surround bar - just because it is not for you does not mean it is not for anyone.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited August 2007
    fireshoes wrote: »
    The spy has pretty nice looking cables and what looks like a rather large amp.

I agree.:cool: ;)
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited August 2007
    Metal tweets.........YUK!!!!
    Not exactly innovative is it?Very dissapointed.Throw some ribbon tweets in there,then we'll talk.Even the soft dome would be better.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2007
    Tony, what were the speakers you've been building for the past 30 years? I forget what they were called.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,501
    edited August 2007
    I like em.

Hope there is some at PF.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tonyb
    edited August 2007
    Called "crap" Russ.
    Needless to say,you don't have to build them to appreciate them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2007
    How do you know if you haven't heard them?

The design folks are still the same and I doubt that thier hearing has gone to hell in the past year....

You know, every time Polk does something....people start wailing and moaning that they've sold out, gone to the dogs etc etc etc....

Wait until you've heard them before passing judgement.

While I the sound of soft domes, they ain't the end all be all, nor are ribbon tweeters.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,977
    edited August 2007
    Yashu wrote: »
    I wish the RTi line used this type of tweeter... Metal tweets can sound really good. QUOTE]

What are you smoking ! the Rti's have enough of a bad rap for music then to add a metal tweet...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,501
    edited August 2007
    Hmm, assuming their pricing is similar to the past. That nice LRC should run around 399.99 each.

I think I may have found a good solution to put a center channel in my room with its light weight and ability to be mounted to the wall.

HMMM, whats the expected release date?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,977
    edited August 2007
    I think Polk is on the right track with this line up, for people who are in the market for this type of speaker. I have yet to hear a bad Polk product. I wonder if these will be more difficult to get here in Canada trying to find Lsis here is a no go.
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited August 2007
    As long as you don't try to use them for straight up music they might be ok. I am definately not a big fan of Metal Domes. The 4" Radiators are neat looking though.

It is funny they want to market them for flat panel TV's when you can't get them against the wall by the TV. They are going to need room behind them for any bass response from the passive radiators. :confused:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited August 2007
    Joe08867 wrote: »
    As long as you don't try to use them for straight up music they might be ok. I am definately not a big fan of Metal Domes. The 4" Radiators are neat looking though.

It is funny they want to market them for flat panel TV's when you can't get them against the wall by the TV. They are going to need room behind them for any bass response from the passive radiators. :confused:

The VM30 floor stander is the model with rear PR's, the other two models are wall mountable.

Not good for music? A small driver can sound great and go pretty low in a tuned enclosure. I'm not a fan of Al domes either but it can be done right.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,464
    edited August 2007
    The current silk dome tweeter found in Polk speakers sounds more like a metal dome tweeter in its implementation, so just going to aluminum makes sense. Certainly not the first time Polk has used metal in its tweeters, and if they were aiming for clarity of vocals in the speakers (as most would want from A/V speakers) the metal dome was the best way to go.
  • tonyb
    edited August 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    How do you know if you haven't heard them?

The design folks are still the same and I doubt that thier hearing has gone to hell in the past year....

You know, every time Polk does something....people start wailing and moaning that they've sold out, gone to the dogs etc etc etc....

Wait until you've heard them before passing judgement.

While I the sound of soft domes, they ain't the end all be all, nor are ribbon tweeters.

BDT

I was just commenting on the choice of tweeter.I will reserve judgement untill I can get an ear on them.But for me personally,metal tweets are not up my alley.But maybe they are for other folks,who knows.No need to get defensive boy's.....jeez.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • fireshoes
    edited October 2007
    They are out in the wild now, kids. Anybody else had a chance to demo 'em? I think the black cabinets look really nice. Definitely better looking with the grills on.