This is just awesome technology day!

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,806
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
This is really cool too!

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-08/rpi-bbs080907.php

Scientists have found a way to make non-toxic batteries from carbon nano-tube infused paper. If they can get to their ideal manufacturing process of printing the nano-tubes onto paper and then soaking it in an electrolyte, batteries would be as cheap as your daily newspaper!
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2007
    Better start planting more trees now!
  • Jstas
    edited August 2007
    Well, paper can be made out of more than just trees and trees and other sources of paper are a renewable resource, to an extent. But since the technology seems to use no specific type of raw cellulose, it can use recycled paper too. Since the product is non-toxic, uses raw cellulose and the "ink" is carbon nano-tubes, it would likely be fairly simple to recycle and a simple electrolysis or distillation process can be used to recover the electrolyte. It's alot more viable than it seems.

Besides, if it's as light and powerful as they say it is, the energy saved and pollution eliminated by things like car batteries being made much, much lighter, cleaner and more efficiently would more than make up for the expenditure in natural resources.

It might also end up making hybrid and electric vehicles more viable. If an electric car has 2500 pounds of nickel-metal hydride batteries in it and they can get the same power and life out of one of these carbon-paper batteries at 1/20th the weight, just think what the possibilities would be!

If the electrolyte is as simple as a salty brine of some sort then the technology can be applied to things like pacemakers, hearing aides and other medical equipment that gets implanted in a body. Since the charge would com from the electrolyte, a pacemaker battery would never die because your whole body is nothing but a possible electrolyte that regenerates itself until you die. To recharge the battery, just take a piss in a bag!

That right there is cutting edge technology. The possibilities are endless and the potential is so great it's immeasurable.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,685
    edited August 2007
    sounds like a paper capacitor to me :-)
  • Jstas
    edited August 2007
    Battery: Two or more connected cells that produce a direct current by converting chemical energy to electrical energy.

Capacitor: An electric circuit element used to store charge temporarily, consisting in general of two metallic plates separated and insulated from each other by a dielectric. Also called condenser.

Nope, looks a battery to me. It is a power source. A capacitor needs an external power source to charge it. A battery can be charged and stores that charge but the charge is produced through a chemical reaction. Something like a lead/acid battery uses plates of lead immersed in an acid based electrolyte. This uses plates of carbon treated paper in a salt base electrolyte.

If it used a dielectric and two sheets of the paper to store energy then yes, it would be a capacitor. The technology can likely be used in that way also.

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2007
    Actually a fairly fine line between the two, and capacators are used as power storage elements in many pieces of electronic equipment (e.g., computers) nowadays, in lieu of batteries.

Of course, the real difference is that a battery (more correctly, a "cell" -- the battery in your car is indeed a "battery" of cells) uses electrochemistry (Galvanic junction potential) to generate electricity ab initio. As you correctly noted.

I was just trying to indicate that there's little new under the sun :-)
  • Jstas
    edited August 2007
    Did I say it was "new"? It's just a different way of doing it that has many benefits. I thought it was cool technology. Spin it any way you want to support your point of view. I just wanted to share something neat. Geez.

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2007
    Nope, you didn't say it was new; I inferred it. sowwy.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited August 2007
    ...Another key feature is the capability to use human blood or sweat to help power the battery.
    :eek:
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.