Going with the apparent car theme today, this is a very interesting article.

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,806
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
I saw it on Slashdot and read it, very cool. Very cool indeed!

http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/19128/

One of the benefits is that the quality of the fuel could be controlled and that would make a big difference in not only mileage and performance but much cleaner emissions too. From what I saw in the article, it's not just gasoline that they can get the bacteria to make either. Almost any hydrocarbon string can be made with this process. All the way from simple sugars to machine oils and jet fuel.

So go ahead now, start with all the "The oil companies will shut this down in no time and we'll never see it just like the cars that run on water!" and the rest of the tinfoil hat theories.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2007
    The oil companies will shut this down in no time. We'll never see it just like the cars that run on water.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    I think the oil companies will shut this down in no time and we'll never see it just like the cars that run on water!
  • madmax
    edited August 2007
    I think the oil companies will shut this down in no time and we'll never see it just like the cars that run on water!

I agree.
    madmax

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited August 2007
    amazing we had the same thought at exactly the same minute
  • madmax
    edited August 2007
    What about the carb that got 150 mpg? Oil companies shut it down. Otherwise we would all be getting 150 mpg right now. :)
    madmax

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2007
    I'll stick with the Tesla Roadster, thanks.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

gallery-body.php
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited August 2007
    Have fun, you won't get very far with it.

Then again, having bacteria manufacture tailor made hydro-carbons to make fuel is a little different and has much more impact than an electric car that runs like a scalded dog but only for about 220 miles. Then you have to wait for 4 hours before you can go another 220 miles.

I'm guessing you have a good argument that correlates to new technology behind making clean, renewable fuel sources by claiming you'll stick with an electric car but I'm not seeing it. Wanna elaborate? 'Cause this technology in the article could be focused on electrical power generation also which would have a direct impact on your Tesla Roadster.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited August 2007
    Ok, Bagged and Madmax, that's just freaky... I'm officially freaked out now by you two... Do you need a room? :D:D:D
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    Have fun, you won't get very far with it.

Then again, having bacteria manufacture tailor made hydro-carbons to make fuel is a little different and has much more impact than an electric car that runs like a scalded dog but only for about 220 miles. Then you have to wait for 4 hours before you can go another 220 miles.

I'm guessing you have a good argument that correlates to new technology behind making clean, renewable fuel sources by claiming you'll stick with an electric car but I'm not seeing it. Wanna elaborate? 'Cause this technology in the article could be focused on electrical power generation also which would have a direct impact on your Tesla Roadster.

I like the fact that it has killer acceleration, looks sweet, low maintenance (no oil changes, oil or air filters, water pump, timing belt, battery good for 100,000 miles, etc), and, for the audiophile in me, it's near silent. Ok, trunk space is a bit limited, but what the hell... I don't really think the recharging thing is a big deal. I barely get more miles on a tank of gas in my current car than what it gets on a single charge. I doubt I'd be taking the 2-seater on many cross-country trips anyway.