Internet problem, can't access certain websites..

Face
Face Posts: 14,340
edited August 2007 in The Clubhouse
What would normally cause this, possibly spyware?

Everything else appears to be functioning correctly. No lagging, etc..

Download.com, certain ebay pages, and certain myspace pages won't load, but others will.

I also can't update my spyware doctor and of course, I can't access their page either.

I ran full scans with spybot, PC Cillin(virus/spyware), spycatcher, adaware, and a outdated spyware doctor.

I also reset my cable modem and router.

What could I do next?

Thanks!
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
Post edited by Face on

Comments

• Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited August 2007
    I'd recommend, in the following order:

- Flush DNS cache

- Restart the PC

- Reinstall network card drivers
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited August 2007
    Could just be a local network problem; I'd give it half a day before I worry too much. YOu'd be amazed the variety of different things that are served through only one or two hubs (akamai for example) so if one of those hubs had a problem you could see erratic behavior.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Face
    edited August 2007
    Thanks appadv, I'll let you know how I make out.

Bobman, this is especially annoying because I have something to bid on in a few hours, doh!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Face
    edited August 2007
    Appav, still no good.
  • Serendipity
    edited August 2007
    Did you try the ipconfig/flushdns command in the DOS prompt?

Or did you do it in Windows?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Face
    edited August 2007
    Through command prompt. I wasn't aware you could do it through windows.
  • Serendipity
    edited August 2007
    Also, how did the network card driver update go?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Face
    edited August 2007
    The update appears to have gone fine. I downloaded a new driver through ASUS's website and ran the setup file(A8N32SLIDELUXE board), but I still have the same problem.

I'd odd how it's convenient that ebay item bidding pages and download.com don't work but most other pages do.

Thanks for your help.
  • carpenter
    carpenter Posts: 362
    edited August 2007
    If you plug another computer, (a borrowed laptop maybe) to the same source ( cable modem & router) can you access those pages?
    what I'm aiming at is that is might be a problem in the ISP( Proxy ??) realm.
    I'd start with determining which side is the source of the problem, you ('r computer) or your ISP.
    "If the global crisis continues, by the end of the year Only two Banks will be operational, the Blood Bank and the Sperm Bank. Then these 2 banks will merge and it will be called 'The Bloody **** Bank'"
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited August 2007
    What browser are you using? Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc? I know that there are certain sites that don't like Firefox (especially work stuff) and I have to use IE...which I don't prefer.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Face
    edited August 2007
    Well, it appears it may have been the ISP, suddenly everything works!

Thanks all!